Funniest word in the world

Bloop!
It always makes me smile.
And for the longest time I wasn’t able to say “Monkey Butt” without laughing like an idiot for a few minutes. Actually, I still can’t help but smirk when I say it now.

Before I tell you what the funniest word in the world is, it is important that the proper pronunciation is used.

One must utter the first syllable with a bit of an upward lilt, and then let the word catch in his throat for a moment or two before allowing the rest of the word to flow out like a leaky dike.

I give you …
Kookamonga.

… and Walla Walla Washington is a close second (although I realize that’s three words).

Minor nitpicking here. “Nitpicking” now there’s a funny word.

entomological eh?? You mean like when the grasshopper walks into the bar and orders a drink and the astounded bartender says “You know we have a drink named after you?” and the grasshopper says, “What? You have a drink named ‘Steve’ ?”

entomology = study of insects

I think you mean etymological which is the study of word origins and for amusing ones you could always go with the origins of “blimp” “quiz” “boycott” or even “sandwich” but EVERYone knows that one.

ANYway… we should probably just go with “linguistic hilarity” and end it there. I know, I know, the people here won’t let you get away with anything.

And as for my vote, I can’t help but smile when I hear someone use the word persnickety.

[Krusty The Clown]

Seeee-attle

[/Krusty The Clown]

. dictate
. Lake Titicaca
. liberal :smiley:

I knew something looked wrong! Maybe I meant to ask what the funniest bug in the world was. :smiley:

Well, that was my one mistake for the year. Glad it’s almost over.

Great words, by the way! Rutabega… hee hee…

I’ve always enjoyed:

pamplemousse -(not sure of spelling, but it means grapefruit in french)

particularly - because I can’t say it without my tongue getting in the way…try and say it…it just doesn’t feel right in your mouth…makes me giggle everytime.

No one’s mentioned this one? Tell me you didn’t laugh when your science teacher said…

"And today, boys and girls, we are going to study the wonders of Uranus.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kumquat, mellonballer, and aglet.

Pamplemousse is the correct spelling

Coccyx.

Pubic.

Sproing.

D’oh!

I remember an article written by Dave Barry in which he said that yore, as in “the days of yore,” was pretty funny, especially if you said it over and over:

Yore yore yore yore yore yore yore.

My personal favorites? Spoon, fish, and emu.

Hmmm…I think flinge is pretty funny, but most people haven’t heard of that word.

Of course, finagle is always good for a chuckle.

Of course there is the ever popular … Wankle Rotary Engine.

Somewhere in Transylvania, a vampire morphed into a two-headed vulture. :slight_smile:

Crapulence, although I bet Homer would say crapulosity.

A friend of mine always laughed uprourously at pierogie.

As in: “Peirogie … bwaaa-haaa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!”

I’ve always liked crud. It just sounds like suck a simpleton word. crud

Heh heh.

I’ve really been hoping Yunus Qanooni (yes, I looked up the spelling at CNN) will continue to be involved in the Afghan government, cause the name is so fun to say.

And of course we’ve got Rear Adm. Stufflebeam… (which sounds like a made up name to me) and the Tora Bora mountains…

I miss Boutrous-Boutros Ghali [sp?]

Foe
Flibertigibbet (sp?)

So would the next in line for funniest word be Albequerque, pronounced Albakoikee?