Funny Real Life Names

i’ve known people named:

Penny Stamps
Harry Dick
Randy Sheets
Dick Pounder
Seymour Kunz (and yes, he was a gynecologist)

and my all-time favorite:

Astrida Penis

One of the Spanish gossip mags ran a series on this years ago, asking people to send in their names. If they thought it was neat, they’d interview you.

The one that stuck with me was Juan Carlos Rey de España. His parents thought that when a woman called “of Spain” marries a guy called “King” and they have a boy, it’s better not to fight the tide.

Oh man! How cool would it be to be named Juan Carlos Rey de España?

Back to the OP: Former San Diego mayor and current over-the-top radio pundit Roger Hedgecock is always good for a laugh, if you ask me.

I was recruited into the Air Force partially by one Staff Sergeant Sailor. My parents, both retired Navy, couldn’t help calling him “Seaman Sailor” behind his back.

A short black guy who used to work with me at the coffeeshop used to ask every customer who bought a mocha “You wanna chocolate stick?” He was referring to a garnish on the beverage, of course, but 9 times out of 10 the look on the customer’s face was priceless before they figured it out. My coworker was just brilliant at playing innocent, too.

Yup, the local NBC affiliate has a morning anchor named Dick Johnson. I saw one broadcast where they had a short fluff story on popular fake names given when ordering pizza, and he noted that he often has trouble getting places to believe his name is real.

To top that off, a weatherman on the same station is named Pete Sack and yes, sometimes they do work on the same broadcasts together.

My mom knew a guy called Royal King who married a woman named Victoria. And Hamish had occasion to meet a woman named Reine Roy. (Queen king.)

Dick Pound is the former head of the IOC and chancellor of McGill University.

And then, of course, there’s NDP MP Penny Priddy. Sadly for the pun, she’s the health critic, not finance.

Um-hmmm…Add to that mix, “Peter O’Toole”, and you’ve got the trifecta of double phallics!

Forgive my incredulity, but that one seems just a little too good to be true.

Sailboat

I’ve heard of her - but only because I dated a Texan once.

My father tells me he went to high school with a Dick Hertz, and had a friend called Rainbow Trout [lastname]. Fortunately, he graduated in 1970, so it might not have been that bad.

UK children’s comic The Beano was edited for over 20 years by Euan Kerr

And if you don’t understand:

“YOU WANKER” is practically a killing insult in British English

I knew a family with the surname “Godown”.

I have also worked with a Grant Lee. He must of had one parent from the north and one from the south.

I have also worked with Mega Lackey.

Both are in the GA white pages.

I went to graduate school with Woodrow Dick III. Yup he went by Woody Dick.

Yeesh. And I thought the guy I knew named Steele Beam had it bad!

I grew up in Texas, so I knew all about Ima Hogg. Wonder if there’s some relation to Mia Hamm (Get it? I’m A Hog. Me A Ham. snerk)?

I remember that there was an OB-GYN in my doctor’s group named Suzanne Bush. Guess it could’ve been worse–what if she married someone named Mr. Box? And then hyphenated it?

Cindy Lu, M.D. practices in Boston. Wonder if she went to med school in Whoville?

I knew a girl in college named Happy Easter. I met her at a party when she told me her name a demanded to see her license.

I’ve worked with a claims adjuster named Billie Hartless.

Two law firms I’ve seen come to mind. Lord and Whip who do defense work in the Midwest and my favorite Lobal and Linch on the west coast.

I can’t remember whether or not this was something I heard on the radio or posted on a message board, but even the thought of it cracks me up and I’d imagine myself having a hard time containing my laughter if I spoke to someone on the phone who identified themself as “Muhnamuhna”.

Bill Lear, of LearJet fame, named a daughter Crystal Shanda Lear.

One of my ancestors (born 1671 in Hampton, N.H., if you wanna look it up) was named Bathsheba Hussey, a name I find rather redundant.

Speaking of genealogy, a few times in my research I’ve seen girls named Lettice.

Almost forgot. A place I worked for once got some correspondence from Dick Painter.

That would be in this post

I went to HS with a kid with the name Phat Ho. No one believed me until our 10 year reunion and he was on the “missing list”.

At the same school, you’ll find professor Richard Dick. He’s an excellent teacher, but when I was taking classes from him, he gave oral final exams.

Nobody ever believes me when I tell them that, but I swear it’s true.