Gaining on Gratitude, an MMP for Dave

I bet you all knew that this MMP was going to be about my Love, right?

I didn’t want to disappoint.

As I mentioned previously, the memorial was Saturday. It was a lovely day and we had a picnic at a beautiful local park. It was an all day event for us because you couldn’t reserve the shelter so a couple of his brothers got there early to get the shelter, I got there about an hour and a half later, his son got there an hour after me and then the people started coming in the afternoon. I got to meet all of his four brothers and hear stories that I hadn’t heard before. One of my favorite things was a table that was set up with a beautiful collage of pictures of him made by his nieces and also quite a few items with personal significance such as Magic the Gathering cards, a few stuffed animals, and my contribution, Miracle Whip. :smiley: It was truly a beautiful day, I only wish he could have been with us more than in spirit. He never had an easy life but if he would have been there I know he would have been surprised and pleased to see how many people truly loved him.

This is an aside to what I had originally planned to write, but I think it’s important. The night that he passed, I told his son that I felt that his dad had been happy with how his life had been going and he told me that he was glad that he had found me because for a long time he was the only one that Dave could really talk to. By no means was he perfect and neither am I. But the thing is, we were perfect for each other. Our strengths and weaknesses complimented each other and I am a better person today because of it.

I guess that does tie in with what I was going to say. I am trying to be grateful for the time that we spent together even though it was way, way too short.

So, here are some things that I am grateful for…

His kind, gentle spirit.

His honesty.

His sweet smile.

His wonderful, supportive family.

Our time spent together, especially our few roadtrips that we took.

The beautiful flowers that he gave me, two of which dried nicely on their own and live in my bedroom.

I am really grateful that he raised such a good son. He has been an immense comfort to me.

I am also grateful to his friends who welcomed me into their little group and who still plan to keep me now that he is gone.

I’ve got a few short videos of him that I had taken here and there and in every single one you can hear me laughing in the background and I’m grateful that he always made me laugh.

Lastly, even through all of this I am so grateful that we met. My world is a better place because he was in it.

Here’s one of my favorite songs that always makes me think of him. May he rest in peace.

[COLOR=“DarkOrchid”]:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:[/COLOR]

So, mumpers, who or what are you grateful for in your life?

Being first!

Ok. Serious reply now. I’m thankful for a new shot at life. Can’t yet cast out the old demons yet, but working on it and making progress. Thankful for my family and my kids, who mean more to me than life itself. My wife,the best woman in the world. For a friend who has not forgotten me despite over 15 years since we last saw each other. For an opportunity.

Good Mornin’ Y’all! Up and caffienatin’. YAWN 'Tis 73 Amurrkin out with a predicted high of only 83! I might need my longjohns. :smiley: 'Tis rainy out and is supposed to be most of the day. Oh well, I’m stuck inside at irk so it might as well rain.

{{{StickyBuns}}} what a beautiful tribute to Dave! The hug is just cause.

I am grateful for OYKW, havin’ a great family, great friends, a job I can stand most of the time and of course all my Mumper friends real and imaginary. This place be fun!

Oh, as to the request for the grilled sausage appetizer. Throw some sausages (usually kielbasa but pick your favorite) on the grill for a few minutes or in an oven set around 325 degrees Amurrkin for about twenty minutes. Slice sausages and enjoy with your favorite mustard or mustards. Yeah, it’s a complicated recipe but worth it. :smiley: The traditional men’s night appetizer.

Now I need more caffiene and rumbly tummy demands to be fed. Then, alas and alack, irk purtification must commence.

Happy Monday Y’all!

I’m grateful for my friends, and even for Gordie, even if he is about as sharp as a sack full of wet mice.:smiley:

I’m glad you got time with Dave, Sticky.

Up, caffeinated, off to irk.

I’m grateful that I woke up this morning to regale y’all with another blurf.

Good morning, I guess. If a morning can be good after less than 6 hours of sleep. :o <— yawn

Coincidentally, I am thankful for 2 Daves in my life. First one was my first real boyfriend when I was 19 and just a few months into my Navy career. It didn’t take me long to decide I was in love with him, and not too long after than, he dumped me, which hurt at the time but which turned out to be a blessing in the long run. He had a series of marriages, a bunch of kids, and eventually turned into a bit of an extremist, politically. I never would have gone to college or become the wonderfullness that I am had our relationship worked out. So thanks, Dave, for dumping me!

The second Dave hired me when I was trying to return to Virginia 8 years ago. And he did it a mere 2 days before another offer that I would have *had *to take - an offer that was a position at a lower paygrade which would have required a LOT of travel. So I got to go back to a job that I really enjoyed with some amazing people, and after several command reorganizations, I ended up working for Al, who was truly the best boss I ever had in my entire life. Plus Dave and I ended up retiring on the same day. And he lives in the same county that I do, altho in the 8 years I’ve been here, I’ve never run into him…

And now that I think of it, I’m grateful for Al, who was a great boss and a great guy.

All of youse Mumpers, on the other hand, can go suck eggs. :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

Rain is threatened, so I guess laundry will have to go into the dryer. ugh. I’ve also got to run to the grocery store. Happy Monday!

I’m thankful that somehow I’ve always been surrounded by loving family and friends. They’ve given my life meaning and joy and, hopefully, I’ve been able to reciprocate in kind.

“In kind”… that can mean two things and they’re both appropriate and good.

Mornin’ all.

I think it’s about time for me to head to the grocery store. Gotta get coffee for our guests, and other food and stuff to feed them. Plus food for our daughter, who will be house-sitting for us. I should probably make a list…

I am grateful my damn cat slept in until 3.30pm. He got up, demanded breakfast and then made it as far out to a shady tree before having another nap. An hour later he fronted up for his dinner. That must have been too much as he then retired to sleep on his electric blanket and I haven’t seen him since.

Who runs this joint anyway?

I’m having a hard time doing much of anything today. I just managed to get dressed a few minutes ago. Before that I decided to cut my purple hair off by myself (it had to go with school starting) because I was afraid if I went to a beauty shop I’d start crying or decide to tell them to cut off all of my hair. So, while it may not look great, it was the safer option.

Now I need to do something, or anything, really, other than just sitting here feeling sorry for myself.

Aww come on Cicero it takes a lot of effort to eat breakfast and dinner. No wonder the poor kitteh is worn out. :smiley:

{{{StickyBuns}}} you’re emotionally and physically drained after this weekend. Just take it easy. You’ll do whatever it is you need to do when you feel more like it. Nothin’ wrong with takin’ your time until you know the time is right.

On the irk front, I have actually accomplished stuff even though I do not want to do anything. Persevere I must so I shall. Le Sigh.

Back from grocery-gathering. I picked up a poke tenderloin that will fit nicely in the rotisserie, so it’s tomorrow’s supper. The chickie can wait till we get back. I also got ground beef for a meat loaf, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, N.O.T.s, coffee for the inlaws, and, in all, about $100 worth of stuff. Plans for today involve making a cucumber/onion salad, some egg salad, the aforementioned meatloaf, and a batch of sloppy joes. I picked up some peaches - hope they’re ripe enough for a cobbler. I should put them in a paper bag…

Poor **FCD **is hurting from his fall yesterday. Apparently he came down hard on the concrete floor and landed on his chest. I think his supper tonight will be heavy on ibuprofen. :frowning: He’s definitely ready for vacation.

Leftover pizza for lunch, then to the kitchen with me.

{{{Sticky}}} - hang in there…

**Cicero **- seriously? You had to ask who runs things?? You are a silly person. Both of my resident felines agree… :wink:

I’m thankful that I’m back. Miss me?

Who are you and why aren’t you using a coaster???

:stuck_out_tongue:

Good grief - within minutes, I got 2 forwarded emails, both extremely partisan, one from my mother and one from a woman who I thought had common sense. Turns out she’s more of a right-wing extremist than I ever realized…

I think I’m going to curl up in a corner and weep.

spaz welcome back! We redecorated. I got tired of the orange shag carpet on the walls. I think the purple astroturf is much more becoming. Wouldn’t you agree? :smiley:

MOOOOOOM one never knows what nutniness lies within someone’s mind. Fortunately for me I have most everyone trained not to forward stuff via email. I say if one must nut up do it on facebook so one can be ignored.

Ham 'n cheese sammich for N.O.L. That and a cupcake made me happy.

Lovely OP sticky.

Today I am grateful that the weather has snapped and the temperatures are back in normal PNW ranges. I am also grateful for the time I get to spend with my two younger kids. After my son gets off work today he, my #3 daughter and I are going to go for a drive in the country/foothills, where we will find a produce stand and purchase some fruit (blueberries and peaches) and, perhaps, we will jump in the river.

Oh yes, my #3 daughter turns 21 this Friday. It really doesn’t seem like it’s been that long since she was born, where does the time go?

Cucumber and onion salad made - check.

Egg salad made - check.

Sloppy joes made - almost check - they’re simmering at the moment.

Laundry done - half a check, but in process.

Meatloaf built - no check yet - I’m taking a break.

swampy, from certain people, I know to delete the email as soon as I see the subject line. This particular individual (not my mom) caught me off-guard. I knew she was a Repub, tho that did surprise me at first. What I didn’t know was that she was so extreme. Makes me rethink our friendship. And FWIW, I’m not affiliated with any party. I think they’re all idiots! :stuck_out_tongue: Is it too much to hope for a politician who cares more about fixing the country’s problems and less about his/her party “winning”?? :frowning: