Game: Describe two different works of fiction with the exact same sentence

A man who has led a very violent life is shot and seriously wounded. He is nursed back to health by a family of quaint, old-fashioned religious pacifists, and eventually falls in love with their daughter. As long as he’s hiding on their farm, however, he’s putting them in danger, for the gunman who shot him is still at large, and looking for him.

Astorian correct on both:)

I was so struck by the similarities in both set of movies I wondered why there weren’t any claims of copyright infringement (at least that I heard about).

I think one is Witness but I can’t think of the other.

Clean Slate and Memento?

Avatar, Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves, Last Samurai

Doc Hollywood, Cars

An aging professional athlete struggles with deteriorating skills, and seeks comfort and enlightenment from a new woman in his life. He doesn’t exactly succeed, but he’s able to retire in the comfort of remaining true to himself, and having gotten the girl. Starring Kevin Costner.

For the Love of the Game and Bull Durham.

I’ll go with Witness and Soldier.

Witness is correct, but the other movie is much older, and stars (arguably) Hollywood’s greatest icon ever.

Excellent!

I figured everyone would guess Christopher Nolan’s grim, noirish Memento, but the same plot was used in a lame-o Dana Carvey comedy called Clean Slate.

This was done by The Oatmeal:

Humans awake from cryogenic sleep. Fancy spaceship lands on alien planet. Sigourney Weaver talks to a businessman. Mechwarrior makes an appearance. Humans and aliens get to know each other. Human ends up inside alien, or vice versa. Humans stand in a line and shoot aliens. Alien babies get torched by a-hole humans. Humans go after mother alien. Epic mechwarrior battle with alien. Mechwarrior deprives alien of air. Big explosions. Humans are kicked off the planet. Directed by James Cameron.

Ah, dammit. Also both written by James Cameron, so disqualified by the OP.

The second is The Angel and the Badman with John Wayne

A teenager goes skinny dipping and is punished when a beast appears and devours her. The vacation area where she was attacked refuses to warn the public, afraid it will drive tourists away. The local police chief recruits a loud-mouthed and controversial naturalist and a old war vet who uses his own craft to find the monster and kill it. They confront the monster and the war vet is killed. The war vet’s craft is destroyed, but the sheriff manages to kill the animal, saving the town.

(Not mine, and I would guess many of you have seen it before. Also not limited to one sentence, so sue me;))

You know what my favorite show is?

It’s about a handsome antihero, a man with a Scottish name and a nickname that means something significant in Latin. He’s a war veteran who’s spending his days in a less noble line of work. In the pilot, after a meeting with a potential client goes south, the client explains that it’s offensively obvious that our antihero thinks he’s better than all this. But does he really? While he doesn’t like to talk about his origins, we eventually learn that he grew up as a poor, adopted farmhand before a traumatic event in the war prompted him to transform himself. Now, he struggles to be honorable even as he must constantly deceive. Women in his life: well, there’s the one who’s been devoted to him for years, but he just takes her for granted. The woman he wants is fiercely independent, and it drives him crazy to have to stand by as she sleeps with an endless succession of other men. Then there’s the much younger woman who works for him, but there’s no tension there. She’s just interested in the new guy, who drives our antihero crazy with his arrogant ambition and elitist style. It’s witty, feminist, and original with a cult following and critical acclaim. And I love Christina Hendricks’s character, a talented redhead who tries to use a marriage as a means to an end, only to have it backfire horribly.

Sounds like Firefly, and I’m gonna guess Mad Men.

Put a period after “apocalypse” and you’ve also described Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica.

:smiley:

I actually haven’t seen either movie, but it sounded like Memento based on buzz I’ve heard about it (that’s the one where all the scenes play out in reverse order, right?). I vaguely remembered a Dana Carvey movie that fit that description but had to wiki his name to look at his filmography to come up with the name.

Correct. As a fan of Firefly, it was this description I came across on the web that prompted me to start watching Mad Men (it was 3 seasons in at that point, I caught up on Netflix) and now I’m eagerly awaiting the 7th and final season starting this spring.

Well, one is so obvious I won’t even bother to say, but I’m not enough of a monster movie aficionado to guess another. Are hints allowed?

Oh, I’ve got it… Jaws (the obvious one) and Grizzly, thought from what I read on Wikipedia, Grizzly was very purposefully made in the pattern of Jaws because of the former’s great success. And the “police chief” in Grizzly was actually a park ranger (but still a law-related authority figure).

Unless of course I’m wrong about the second movie… I think there might be others that could fit the bill.

Yes, that’s it.

A banker, well loved in his town because he’s willing to lend to the little guy, is faced with a crisis that could cause his bank to fail and would destroy his reputation. When his friends hear of his troubles, though, they help out, giving him enough money to save the bank.