Gay Pride WTF?!!!

Ok, first off I want to say I’m not homophobic in the least, but I just need to ask something…
Why do some gays insist on having a special group set aside for them to march in parades such as the St. Patrick’s day parade?
See, heres my point… If a gay person is a firefighter, or police officer or in any group that is already marching there isn’t, nor should their be any question of them being allowed to march. However when they start to complain to the city that they want a special group set aside for them, that is where I feel things start getting out of hand.
For pete’s sake, it’s only sexuality!!! Do I get a special group soley based on the fact I’m straight?!!! OF COURSE NOT! I feel if a city says no to having a gay group of people marching it isn’t because of an anti gay feeling, it’s because it’s just a dumb idea to have a group of that kind march. Maybe next there will be a group of people that eat chicken every Friday night marching. WHO THE HELL CARES!!! It just doesn’t make sense.
As far as I’m concerned gay people should be allowed to be gay and express it as they feel, just like anyone else. However when it comes down to bothering the city for special priviledges no one else has it pisses me off. Leave the city’s employees alone they have enough on their minds like crime, the budget, etc. Be happy for what you have, and stop worrying about something, that you or no one else has.

Oh, give me a break. People who “eat chicken on Friday nights” have never had laws passed against them, never been targeted by hate groups, murdered, had their mortal souls condemned, and basically told that they’re the scum of the earth because of their fondness for chicken.

I’m not gay, but I can only imagine these groups get started to try to put an end to these atrocities, so that people have a place to turn where they feel accepted, respected, and protected, and they feel the need to make the community, the world, know that they aren’t going to take this bullying laying down.

Meanwhile, health care for domestic partners wouldn’t just be for gay couples but hetero too. Oh, there goes the country’s morals, not only do people shack up left and right, but now the government is going to “condone” it by not making them pay an arm and a leg on medical expenses. Boo hoo.

Ok, maybe it’s just late and I’m feeling punchy, but I think I’m about ready for the Great Debates forum.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

Kat says: << Meanwhile, health care for domestic partners wouldn’t just be for gay couples but hetero too. >>

The first country (to my knowledge) to admit “partner” to the definition of covered spouses for all legal requirements was the Netherlands. The great majority of users were, in fact, hetero partners.

You do know that you can request a permit for an I’m Proud to Protest Parades march or whatever cause floats your boat? Judging from the continual flow of parades and demonstrations here in Our Nation’s Capital, it’s not a special privilege no one else has

Sheesh. Another homophobe. You don’t fool me, pal, with your “Who the hell cares?”
YOU care, and obviously very deeply. You’re pissed off because you want to be able to deny gays their constitutional right to peacably assemble and can’t. Tough shit. That’s why we have a Constitution - so jerkbags like you can’t force your dark ages thinking on more enlightened individuals.

Well in our parades we have a group of people who assemble because they have dogs…and they put leashes on em and walk down the street. We have another group that walk because they all drive Ford trucks…get my point??? Homosexuals and lesbians are out casted in restaurants, movie theaters,malls, and neighborhoods the LEAST we can do is clap for them as they walk down a street in numbers that are to big for narrow minded fools to ignore! They are human beings with human feelings, one of which is EVERYONES need to belong. I ride motorcycle and I have to tell you I get the NICEST feeling when I get into a large group of motorcycles and just ride…it’s the camaraderie. The homosexual/lesbian people in our communities have had enough, and they are tired of being alone. A parade is a small drop in the bucket…compared to what SHOULD be happening.

Risk looking foolish for love, for your dreams, and for the joy of living…

<<<Nickrz:
“Sheesh. Another homophobe. You don’t fool me, pal, with your “Who the hell cares?”
YOU care, and obviously very deeply. You’re pissed off because you want to be able to deny gays their constitutional right to peacably assemble and can’t. Tough shit. That’s why we have a Constitution - so jerkbags like you can’t force your dark ages thinking on more enlightened individuals”>>>

Ok, not once did I say that I wanted to deny gays the right to “peacably assemble”. I think that having a group especially set aside because your gay is just dumb. Same w/ the whole Ford Trucks, and Dog Walkers. To me it makes no sense. The people marching in parades should be ones that are fit to be honored. Firefighters, and policemen put their lives on the line for “jerkbags” like us everyday. A gay person that participates in a group like that should be honored, but just due to the fact a person is gay is no deed that should be honored. Nor should a person based on the fact that they’re straight.
Nickerz, if you want to resort to name calling instead of debating with me on this issue without giving solid arguements that’s fine, I won’t lower myself to your level.

Old E:

First of all, you are in the ‘Pit, dumbass. Wanna’ play nice? Go to the sandbox.

Have you ever been snickered at, beat up or prejudiced against because you are straight?

Well, er, evidently not.

Wait a minute … am I paying for that?

<<<The people marching in parades should be ones that are fit to be honored. Firefighters, and policemen put their lives on the line for “jerkbags” like us everyday.>>>

And just who the hell judges whos “fit” to be honored??? Pretty narrow minded thinking there pal!

sly:
<<<Have you ever been snickered at, beat up or prejudiced against because you are straight?>>>

As a matter of fact I have been. You ever walk into a room of gay people and have them criticize you because you don’t have the same fashion sense as them? I have. Many times I have been a victim of prejudice soley on my race. I’m white, live in a town which has a pretty large hispanic and black population, neighbored by towns that the majority is hispanic and black. I go into the local McDonalds, and some of these kids see a little white boy and try and get money from me. It has even come down to the point where there have been boxcutters and even at one point a gun was pulled, just because I, a little white boy wanted lunch. Do you see me bitching and moaning to politicians about it? NO!!! That’s just life, sometimes you get beat, sometimes you give a beating. You deal with it and go on. Suck it up and stop complaining!

You’re kidding, right? Lemme guess, stripes and plaid?

Maybe you should heed your own advice, twit.

Old E wrote:
… A gay person that participates in a group like that should be honored, but just due to the fact a person is gay is no deed that should be honored. Nor should a person based on the fact that they’re straight.

I think you misunderstand the whole point. Gay Pride is not about the city or population paying homage to homosexuality. It’s about homosexuals having the freedom to say “I’m gay and I’m not ashamed of myself.” It’s an affirmation of personal pride in oneself.
Straight people take for granted that they can do things like hold hands with their partners in public and it isn’t considered disgusting or shameful. Except in certain gay-friendly parts of the country, gay people have to hide even the simplest acts of love to avoid ridicule and persecution and this is just plain stupid.

Wowee zowee, that took an ugly turn! Let’s borrow a page from the Animaniacs, and compare:

Good idea: Talk to politicians about reducing crime rate in town.
Bad idea: Talk to politicians about reducing Mexicans and blacks in town.

What exactly are you not going to the politicians about again?

Anyway, people get together in groups. Whether it’s because they’re gay, recovering alcoholics, like dogs or trucks, whatever, they like to look for people they have a common bond with that they can share experiences with or seek support from. And if it’s a group that has been persecuted, they naturally want to find ways to build up their self-esteem and make the public aware of their issues.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

You watch - the next words out of his mouth will be “I don’t dislike homosexuals, it’s their behavior I don’t like.”

Geezis. You’d think the homophobes could come up with some new material once in awhile.

Oh, I forgot “I don’t care what they do as long as they keep their hands off my winkie.” That’s always a good one, too. Like gay people are lusting after their bigoted asses, right.

Well,I guess Nickrz is a homophobephobe!(Announcement:this is a joke)

It’s their behavior I dislike…

Nick, I think you’re way out of line on this one. You are a moderator, not a participant. Stay out of debates, whether it is the Pit or not. It is possible for people to have ideas which go against those promoted by gay-rights organizations and not be anti-gay. For example, I oppose gay marriage. But I don’t hate gays.

The only way to become a moderator is to be a participant. If you can’t tell the difference between a moderator moderating, and a moderator participating, you’ve got some problems.

Nick, please feel free to participate in any forum that I moderate. Especially if you’re gonna be funny.

Lynn

Lawrence, my son, being a Straight Dope moderator does not require a vow of silence.
(Poverty… well, that’s another matter).

As for your opposition to gay marriages, perhaps that does not involve hatred of gays on your part. Perhaps you would grace us with your explanation as to why gays should be singled out and denied rights granted to heterosexual couples? (Keeping in mind, of course, many big-city governments and large corporations routinely grant same-sex couples rights of survivorship and dependant health care coverage).

Suppose you tell us why a marriage license should be denied two people who are no different from you and me, save their sexual orientation?

Suppose you tell us why the Federal government should not have included “sexual orientation” as one of the protected classes for workplace harassment and discrimination?

Be prepared, folks, for all the standard homophobe propoganda. Oh… Perhaps I should not have used the word “homophobe” since Lawrence here professes no hatred. Let me substitute the word “bigot.” That better?

Nick, I’ve noticed somthing from all your posts whether it’s in the pit, or anywhere else. You are always first to criticize, or label someone as a bigot or homophobe. You hardly even argue a valid point, due to the childish name calling you constantly resort to. Wouldn’t your quick labeling make you the prejudice one here?