Gender, race, and other issues (split off from Doper Demographics thread)

Guidelines can be found here:

This paragraph specifically applies (bolding mine):

1. Do not deliberately misgender another poster – that is, refer to them by a pronoun or other sex-specific term indicating a gender other than the one they identify as. This applies only in cases where a poster’s gender identity is reasonably clear. Likewise, do not deliberately misgender off-board figures. This is a more rigorous standard than we apply in other contexts; we do not normally mod posters for merely insulting off-board figures. Deal with it.

I’m not complaining about the rule. I don’t really care. I’m just saying my reading of her complaint is different than your reading of her complaint.

No, it has not only been true. @iiandyiiii, this is that solipsistic narcissism I mentioned earlier. What do you think nightclub bouncers spend at least a third of their time doing? They keep on an eye on the restroom area so that when that drunken asshole mysteriously finds his way into the women’s, he can get tossed.

Well, at least that used to be the case. Now that is changing because women are increasingly being told it’s not a big deal if that drunk asshole barges in.

I’m not seeing in this list what @Left_Hand_of_Dorkness asserted. There is no rule about what definitions can be use, right?

No one has ever said this.

A problem when used as an excuse to assault trans people, obviously. But it’s still the proper thing to do when a bad person with bad intentions goes into a bathroom to prey on women. Trans people should not be reported for being trans; bad people with bad intentions should be reported and expelled/arrested.

What happens in a nightclub is irrelevant to an ATMB thread.

This thread is about the rules here and the enforcement of those rules, and how it affects users here, and how those effects are causing the SDMB to be skewed towards old white males.

Keep the discussion relevant to the rules and moderation here. If you feel that something should change, then state what you think needs to change.

This is what I’m questioning. A reading of the rules that were just posted show this assertion is false, and I don’t know what you are basing this on.

In particular, if YWTF refers explicitly to cis men, and just stays out of any discussion of trans people, i see no reason why she can’t start a thread about the value of excluding cis men from female-designated spaces.

Referring to someone that identifies as a woman as a “man” is deliberate misgendering and is a clear violation of the rules.

How this,

doesn’t result in that escapes me.

I have never done that.

Is it verboten to define man as an adult human male (with male referring to sex)?

If it results in deliberate misgendering, then yes, it is verboten.

I don’t understand what they even means, but it’s moot anyway.

It depends on the definitions. If they’re using it to try and protect themselves from cis men predators, then it’s reasonable (there are indeed lots of cis men predators). If they want to exclude and harm trans people, then it’s bad.

Occasionally someone might make a mistake. This will be possible no matter the policy.

You have been told over and over again what it means.

Given the claims I’ve seen about the predatory nature of homosexuals it’s only a matter of time before this shit is also applied to lesbians.

That’s already happening.

D. Rae Garrison, the principal of a middle school in West Jordan, Utah, who is openly LGBTQ, said her phone pinged with a text from an unknown number last year. The stranger wrote saying, “We know you’re a lesbian and we’re not comfortable with you being around our young girls,” Garrison said. She contacted police, but they were unable to trace the message.

I’m sure it’s already happening.

EDIT: Ninja’d!

Is it happening on this board?