General outlet for steaming about TubaDiva's unprofessionalism

Fuhgeddaboudit. The whole reason I came in here in the first place was because I thought after being away for a few days, something had happened or some progress had been made. Silly me. I see we’re still handling these matters in our typical mature SDMB style.
As I said in the previous thread where we were supposedly discussing some jerk who’d been banned, the admins and mods know by now that letting a situation go on without deigning fit to respond is just fueling the fire. OTOH, coming back every few hours for five fucking days and saying “I’m STILL waiting!” to someone who’s said they don’t think they have anything to apologize for is being just a wee bit slow on the uptake. Do you believe you’re going to get an apology? And if you do, do you think it’s going to be sincere? Would you even want that kind of apology? Complain about it, sure. It’s deserving. Hell, there are people here who think their bowel movements are fit to post about. But don’t say you didn’t get a response. You did. You just didn’t like it. Neither did I. I just don’t put too much stock in things I’m promised by some faceless entity on the internet.

was going to stay out of this one, but when called out -
my point was (and is) Tuba made a very thinly veiled accusation about lying, and specifically lying in order to stir shit up. following it up with a promise she wouldn’t hold that against the poster.

that was followed almost immediately by a demonstration that at the very least, catsix had some real substantial truth behind her comment. as opposed to lying. as opposed to lying for the sake of stirring up shit.

this was followed by, well, crickets chirping.

as I said in the ATMB thread, had Tuba come back with something like “forgot about that post that Ed made” or whatever, it would indeed have been ‘much ado about nothing.’

for me, I’ll continue to post or not as my whim carries me. I’ve posted (and lurked) here far, far less often in the past few years, but that doesn’t mean I think the place has deteriorated or whatever. Just means I have different interests as time goes by.

and if this exchange means that I’ve changed opinions on individual posters, somehow I think they’ll all sleep well tonight, as will I.

Well, I said moron OR brown nosing. You have proven to me that you’re not a brown-noser; happy?

BTW, kimera’s link is only one of many and far from the best example. Tuba blows up at percieved slights all the time. Kind of hard to search on (no obvious keywords) but I’ll see what I can do.

You have a valid point, I doubt I will change your opinion about the Moron point, but I do see your point.

Wring which post was the one where **catsix ** had some real substantial truth behind her comment. Can you link it or put up the post number. Maybe I am wrong to think no apology is required. But her post 180 had nothing solid in it, just griping. Are we talking about post 200? Seems like we have almost everything listed there except the Calendar.

Jim

catsix, you are known to stir the pot. And that’s all I have to say about this current tempest, because those are some long, convoluted threads, and I just don’t care that much.

Oh, except that Tuba’s response to Hey Homie about the Wally situation didn’t sound very snarky to me.

Not to speak for wring, but yes, in post 200, there are several features mentioned.

Calendar – nope.

Private Messaging – nope.

Who’s online – nope. Who’s online isn’t the little green light next to my name, it’s a list on the front page, of people who are logged in to the board at that time, and a total count of members and visitors logged in.

Custom signatures – I don’t know what this means, since we’ve had “custom signatures” here since I joined. Custom user titles, maybe? Nope.

35, white male, social worker, born (and live in) Illinois…

As for my board history: no, I’m not known to be a jerk or to “stir the pot.” I’ve never been pitted, warned or suspended, or involved in any board controversy (that I’m aware of).

Private messaging is the user link to people with Various IM’s isn’t it? That is a feature included under the location field. You list an AIM account.
Under Quicklinks click on Open Buddy list. That is basically your customizable Whose on line. I don’t see any value in the on line list you described, is that how the admins described it?
Calendar is a no go, do you really care?

On Preview: HeyHomie, well that is all more reason not to understand the rant against you. Your a good person to let it drop.

Jim

No, that’s IM. PM is a separate function that some boards have. You have a message center on the board that members can send private messages to each other about whatever they want to talk about. It seems a bit pointless to me. I mean, if someone doesn’t want their email posted, they probably don’t want to get PM’s from other members either. If they do have their email posted, why not just send them an email?

No, Jim that isn’t what PMing is.

A private message is something that is contained within this board structure. I send you a private message, and you have a little mailbox here that holds it for you. YOu actually have to be logged on to read it. It has nothing to do with AIM, Yahoo Messenger, etc.

Not quite.

Private messenging is internal to the board - it’s like an inbox in your user control panel. You can send a message to another poster without having to know their email address or AIM, Yahoo, or MSN messenger information. It’s helpful for those who don’t want to share their personal messaging information with the world at large.

Who’s online will show you a list of every registered user who is currently logged on to the board. To achieve the same thing by the way you mentioned, I would have to include every single registered user (all what, 50-some-odd-thousand of them?) in my buddy list. There is much value in this, whether it’s a value to you or not. It helps to know when I’m responding to a poster whether they are currently logged in or not, so I can know whether to expect a response or whether I can come check back later, among other reasons.

Custom user titles were bandied about too, not sure if that was included in the list of ‘promised’ features but it would be nice.

As for the calendar I wouldn’t use it but it was brought up so it’s a valid complaint that it hasn’t been implemented.

Ok, I’ll have to concede that one. Catsix it is a terrible tragedy that the Operators of this board have failed to deliver on this great tool. The horror. The Horror.

Jim

As other folks have said, Private Messaging is a service of the board. Your view makes no sense: Ooh! You mean they’re going to LET ME LIST my AIM ADDRESS! Well gee whiz, how much extra for that “feature”?

The admins didn’t describe anything regarding who’s online or anything else. All the better to deny it later. The Who’s Online feature IS a list on the front page. That’s what the feature is. The Buddy List is as you’ve described. They’re two different things. One thing the Who’s Online does that your buddy list does not is tell you the number of users (both registered and guests) logged in at that time.

And finally, no, I don’t really care about ANY of those features. I probably wouldn’t use them much if at all. Doesn’t make it less dishonest of the management to wave them around like a carrot on a stick.

I mean no offense, but regardless of the use of it, it was promised and not given. Do you dispute this? I’ve considered your opinion so far in this thread to be pretty sensible, but with this i’m afraid you’ve lost me.

Ok, What Exit I found another recent example of Tuba getting defensive right off the bat:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=7099373&#post7099373

Notice CK Dexter answers the question fully three posts earlier.

Good idea. For all of them. (And I actually like some of them …)

XJet, nice to see you again!

Ok, you beat me down. I concede. **TubaDiva ** should apologize to **Catsix ** I guess. Just because I consider the missing extras to be of little value, does not take away the fact that I was wrong in understanding what they were and thus **Catsix ** had a valid point. I was guilty of being Bitchy in my last post. D’oh.

Jim {thank you **Revenant Threshold ** sometimes we all need to be slapped down, I have no valid defense after being made to understand the feature are truly missing}

Good example of her being defensive, but did anything she say really annoy you. It looks valid to me and I tried to help Andrew, though I’m not sure why.

Is there anyway I can now bow out of this as I made my Mea Culpa above and apologized to CatSix?

Jim

It’s cool, **What Exit?. ** :slight_smile: I’m not really that bothered by the features either - i’m on another board that does have them and I hardly ever use the PM system (though the Who’s Online list is good). I think that Tuba does owe catsix something of an apology too.

It’s never been about features for me. It’s all about attitude.