A simple question: What are the 10 cities/towns in which you’ve spent the most time in your life? This need not be limited strictly to the cities where you’ve lived. Maybe it’s a city in which you worked for a long time, or somewhere you visited regularly (vacation, hobby, family, etc.).
Even if you’ve never felt you’ve gone many places, there still must be 10 cities/towns you’ve spent time in (even one crazy weekend) to fill out your list.
Also, list the 5 countries you’ve spent the most time in, and for US Dopers, the 5 states you’ve spent the most time in as well.
San Diego, CA (15 years residence, plus family visits)
Berkeley, CA (8 years residence, plus frequent visitor)
Oakland, CA (7+ years residence)
Quito, Ecuador (3 years residence, plus family visits)
Nicasio, CA (4+ years workplace)
San Francisco, CA (2 years workplace, plus frequent visitor)
Escondido, CA (attended church 3 times/week for 12 years, plus shopping, errands, etc.)
Poway, CA (attended school for 5 years)
Norwich, UK (8 month residence)
Washington, D.C. (3 month residence, plus tourist travel)
I’ve been right here the whole time, except for vacations. I can’t see that I’ve missed anything important.
Philadelphia, PA (27+ years, in two stints, one from 1961 to 1970, the other from 1987 to present)
Ambler, PA (workplace, 13+ years)
3 Santa Barbara, CA (6 years)
Dearborn, MI (6 years)
Madison, NJ (5 years)
6-7. San Diego, CA & Ames, IA (2 years each)
8-9. Tallahassee, FL & Oshkosh, WI (1 year each)
Washington, DC (1 summer, plus numerous visits – I’ve had family there since 1970)
Cape May, NJ (annual vacation since 1996, plus numerous day trips and weekend jaunts)
Countries (other than U.S., and Canada, which I haven’t visited since I was a kid, no more than a week in any:
Myersville, MD (spent 11 years there for school)
Frederick, MD (born there, lived there for 8 years or so, family still there)
Frostburg, MD (four years college there)
Germantown, MD (last four years here)
Silver Spring, MD (had a job here for the last 7 of 8 years.)
Ridgecrest, CA (lived a year there or so as a kid)
Limerick Ireland (spent a sememster there in college)
London (I’ve stayed here for about two weeks total)
Cork Ireland (dated a woman from there for a couple of months see above, and been back)
Sligo Ireland (I’ve a friend that I stayed with for a week plus)
Maryland, well duh
Texas ( think I lived here too for a couple of weeks)
- Tulsa, Oklahoma. 11 years, plus college vacations and family visits.
- Missoula, Montana. 10 years this July.
- Clayton, Missouri (suburb of St. Louis). 4 1/2 years (approximately).
- Houston, Texas. 4 years.
- Oberlin, Ohio. 4 years, minus college vacations.
6.-9. Cincinnati, Ohio; Panama City, Florida (actually Tyndall AFB); Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan; Kansas City, Missouri. The first 3 years (or so) of my life add up to these four; I don’t really know exactly how much time I spent in each.
- Since I haven’t lived anywhere else, I’ll go with the city I’ve spent the most vacation time in. Hmm…it’s probably New York City. It probably adds up to about a month altogether. Although I’ve spent considerable time over the last 3 years or so in Whitefish, Montana (family has a vacation place up there). It’s kind of a toss-up. Whitefish probably wins, though.
States: Well, it can be inferred from the above list, but:
- Germany (it was West Germany at the time)
- Switzerland (or possibly Austria)
- Glen Burnie, MD 18 yrs + 7 yrs (born there - hey Misnomer, what are the odds?)
- College Park, MD (5 yrs)
- Abingdon, MD 4 yrs
- Lancaster, CA 8 yrs (to present)
All I’ve lived in, so frequent/extended visits:
6. Las Vegas, NV
7. Marietta, GA
8. DFW, TX
9. Washngton DC
10 LA, CA
Only countries I’ve been to:
Cape Town, WC, South Africa (24 years)
Pompano Beach, FL, USA (6 months and counting)
Deerfield Beach, FL, USA (4 months)
Green River, WY - 17 years
Wheelersburg, OH - 7 years
Carson City, NV - 7 years
Laramie, WY - 4 years
Portsmouth, Oh area - 3 years
Washington, DC - 1 year
Pittsburg, PA - 1 year
Waverly, OH - 1 year
Athens, OH - 1 year
And a whole butt-load of other places for short times.
And most of the rest for a few weeks or so.
1. Crofton, Maryland - 14 years non-continuous residence
2. Melbourne, Australia - 4 years residence
3. Ithaca, New York - 4 years college
4. Severn, Maryland - 3 years residence
5. Mount Airy, Maryland - 5 years workplace
6. Reno, Nevada - two and a half years residence (and counting)
7. Crownsville, Maryland - 2 years residence
8. Baltimore, Maryland - off and on residence and frequent visits for ten years
9. Quito, Ecuador - several months over the last three years
10. New York, New York - occasional visits for the last ten years (far less frequent since I moved to Reno).
2. New York
- Barrington Municipality, NS (I’m not going to break that up, it’s several small communities)–lived in the area most of my life.
- Halifax, NS–Lived there for the last couple years
- Yarmouth NS–Visited often
- Berwick, NS–choir camp for nine years.
- Copenhagen (I think that’s the name), Switzerland–Visited my aunt once
- Bern, Switzerland–visited on same trip
- Pubnico, NS (Again, several small communities not worth breaking up)–visited family & friends and drove through often
- Sackville, NS–visited an aunt often
- Shelburne, NS (Geesh, you can tell I haven’t done much travelling, can’t you?)–visited a bit
- Isles de la Madeleine, PQ–French camp
Countries (Well, isn’t this easy, only been to five)
- Newcastle, N.S.W., Australia – 37 years
- Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire (as it was then), England – 7 years
- Randwick (a suburb of Sydney), N.S.W., Australia – 6 years
- Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A. – 5 years
- Dee Why (another suburb of Sydney), N.S.W., Australia – 2 years
- London, England – 9 months
- Dublin, Ohio, U.S.A. – 3 months
Those are all the places where I’ve really resided.
- Washington, D.C., U.S.A. – probably a total of 2 months in bits and pieces.
- Leicester, Leicestershire, England – probably a total of 1 to 2 months
- Canberra, A.C.T., Australia – probably a total of 1 to 2 months
- Australia – 45 years
- United Kingdom – 8 years
- U.S.A. – 5 years
- Canada – a total of about a month
- New Zealand – 1 week
- Italy – 1 week
I don’t really coiunt yself as a U.S. doper, but:
States (of the U.S.)
- Ohio – 5 years
- D.C. (if that counts as a state) – 2 months
- Illinois – 2 weeks
- California – 2 weeks
- Virginia – 2 weeks