Georgia (Flag) On My Mind.

Is it just me, or is anyone else outraged that the state of Georgia still retains the emblem of the Confederacy on its newly redesigned flag?

Wasn’t this why the flag was changed in the first place? Isn’t this why Georgia went through a boycott that cost them tens of millions of dollars? Wasn’t this a source of major protest and controversy? Doesn’t the continuing use of this symbol constitute a slap in the face for all of those who protested it in the first place? Is this not almost more of an insult than the original flag?

I am unable to see the reasoning of the Georgia congress in voting through this new design. It would seem to perpetuate the exact sort of image that their last flag did. To reduce the size of the Confederate emblem on their flag is merely a bit of “sanitizing” on their part. I do not sense any real change of heart in this situation, only a stubborn and grudging nod to the vocal opponents of this symbol of strife.

The best that I can give them credit for is an attempt at being politically correct. (I believe everyone here knows my feelings about political correctness.) Such a sham only deserves further condemnation from the all of the groups that originally boycotted the state. To intentionally preserve such a hated symbol in the face of reasonable and ethical opposition further entrenches the perception of “good old boys” and “Southern crackers” running the Georgia legislature.

I am fully aware of the South’s sense of “honor” and reverence for the dead that participated in the civil war. Yet, to preserve such a divisive symbol and ensconce it in a state insignia remains an insult to the enduring union that gave their lives for racial equality. All of the United States must now stand for the precepts of liberty and equality manifest in our constitution. That any given member of our nation continues to bear a standard glorifying an insurrection intended to maintain the subjugation of a significant portion of our population is both insulting and hateful. Tradition has no place in the furthering of such indignity and must be met with opprobrium.

I’m not outraged at all. This is offensive? :rolleyes: FWIW, I liked the old one better.

[gratuitous sarcasm to make a point]
I’m gonna campaign to get all the swastikas removed from ancient temples! Who’s with me?
[/sarcasm]

They do. GA’s just proud of their heritage. I’ve seen the Stars and Bars flying right next to the US and TX (and Spainish and French and Mexican) flags everywhere here in Texas, and nobody seems to have a problem with it.

I don’t feel like getting into a big debate at the moment. I could, but I’m not in the mood. I’m sure someone else will come along when this gets thrown into GD and say everything I could and do a better job of it.

[sub]And besides, y’all invaded us first.[/sub] :stuck_out_tongue:

I seem to recall that the Hindu and Amerind swastika opens in the opposite direction from the German symbol. If so, they do not enter into the equation.

As to a state flying a flag emblematic of institutionalized slavery, I think that’s pretty disgusting. Private citizens may feel absolutely free to do so. A government agency doing this is another matter entirely.

Zenster, there’s a good discussion about the new flag here. Personally I think in trying to please everybody, the Georgia State legislature ended up pissing everybody off.

Thanks for the link Strainger.

Incidentally, I need to correct a mistatement above. It was South Carolina and not Georgia that has been the subject of a prolonged boycott by the NAACP.

To bad Georgia can’t get a taste of the same.

Don’t worry, Zenster, I have a feeling that every Georgia citizen will unite to change that ugly-ass flag now.

Moderator Note

I’m locking this thread off, not because it isn’t perfectly valid, but because there are two active discussions already ongoing on exactly this topic.

In the Pit:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=57931

And in Great Debates:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=57812

Each forum has it’s own “spin” but in the interest of easing strain on our poor, creaking server it seems sensible to combine discussions if feasible.

TVeblen