German Cutie Horst Buchholz Dies

BERLIN (AP) - Horst Buchholz, a German actor whose Hollywood credits include a communist heartthrob in Billy Wilder’s Cold War satire One, Two, Three, died Monday in Berlin, a hospital said. He was 69. Buchholz, who was recovering from a broken thighbone, died in intensive care at the Charite hospital, spokeswoman Kerstin Ullrich said. She declined to provide further details.

Dubbed the James Dean of German films for the rebellious teens he played in the late 1950s, Buchholz moved to the United States and scored his first Hollywood hit with a role in The Magnificent Seven, the 1960 western with Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen and James Coburn. The next year, director Billy Wilder cast him alongside James Cagney in One, Two, Three. Set around the building of the Berlin Wall, the biting comedy features Cagney as a Coca-Cola executive who learns his boss’ daughter has secretly married a communist, played by Buchholz. He also made movies in Britain, Spain, Italy and France, and played a Nazi concentration camp doctor in Roberto Benigni’s Oscar-winning 1997 film Life is Beautiful.

“One, Two, Three” is really very good, and very funny…it had the unfortunate timing factor in that the Berlin Wall went up right about the time the film was released, making a comedy about East/West Berlin a hard sell, to say the least.

Buchholz also did quite a few made for tv movies in Germany as well, and was always a quality actor to watch, even in films that were less than gems.

Sad to hear the news.

Damn. I always liked him. I liked “One, Two, Three” and he was great in “The Magnificent Seven”. And yeah, he was a cutie.

Didn’t he do a movie about Edvard Grieg? I’ll have to check IMDb.

Oh. Never mind. He was in The Great Waltz, which was about Strauss. I did see that one too, but I guess it was another movie I saw that was about Grieg. Did it have Florence Henderson in it? Let me go check…

Ah! Yes! I scare myself with this stream-of-consciousness movie shit. Song of Norway. She plays Grieg’s wife.

Sorry for the tangent.

That just leaves Robert Vaughn and Charles Bronson still living from that seven.

Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Brad Dexter, James Coburn have already passed away.

Do you think Vaughn and Bronson are part of a tonteen?

As long as Mifune is alive, they’ll never die.

Hey! He’s still alive, ain’t he?

Toshiro Mifune died a few years ago.

My sister will be sorry to hear this. She had quite a crush on Herr Buchholz.

A broken thighbone? Hmm . . .was he in a car accident, perhaps?

Just so you all know who exactly Eve is talking about…Biographie und Photografen.

Sniff

When he was young and just beginning his career, I loved him in FANNY.

When he was old and near the end of his career, he was just about the ONLY thing I loved about LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL.

I’ll always think of him as the best-looking man with the least-euphonious name in Hollywood.

Godspeed.

Sniff