"Get Fuzzy" is actually funny today

June 6th.
Link.

The Thread Title is a fraud.

Right – get my hopes up, then dash them with this awful strip.

Yeah, I didn’t especially like today’s. Sometimes GF is funny, but when it goes into “Bucky changes the titles of famous works into something stupid” mode, it may as well be Garfield eating lasagna.

Daniel

Maybe I’m just a sucker for Commie jokes.

In Soviet Union, comics laugh at you.

The artwork and the character development in “Get Fuzzy” is top-notch. Unfortunately, I think that Darby Conley ran out of ideas very soon into the strip.

“Get Fuzzy” is the polar opposite of strips like “Dilbert” and even “The Far Side.” The artwork in “Dilbert” and “The Far Side” are/were nothing to write home about, but the ideas and jokes were are/were very good.

Then you have strips like “Calvin & Hobbes,” “Doonesbury,” and “Bloom County/Opus” which have excellent artwork and good ideas. Tellingly, all them either stopped or took a break when the cartoonist felt like their strip was getting stale.

I keep wanting to like “Get Fuzzy.” It wants to be so clever and edgy, but its jokes suck and it’s never funny.

More like “Family Circus” where little Dolly says something inane to Grandma with Grampa (up in heaven, I guess) beams on. Ufck, I hate that strip, and Bil Keane, Inc.

Now look what you’ve done. You’ve made me angry. I told you that you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.

Stranger

Word.

Eh. Today’s trip is better than most, but it’s still not that funny.

Sad, really. The strip used to be excellent.

(As were we all.)

Agreed. I used to be a big fan of the strip, then stopped reading it when I didn’t look at a newspaper for a few years. I’ve recently gotten back into the habit of looking at it, but it’s nowhere as good as it used to be. Oh well.

“Opus” has good ideas?

I really want to like Opus, since I was a big Bloom County fan. But I have yet to see an Opus that I find anything but dull.

Today’s strip is below average.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the June 4th strip.

Maybe Hammer and Sickle belly Sneeches or Horton Hatches a Plan to Own the Means of Production.

Well as someone who used to work in childrens books I thought it was funny.

“Okay, you sit down to read your paper, and you’re enjoying your entire two-page comic spread, right? And then there’s the Family fucking Circus, bottom right hand corner, just waiting to suck. And it’s the last thing you read, so it spoils everything you read before it… I hate it, yet I’m uncontrollably drawn to it.”

–Todd Gaines (Timothy Olyphant), Go (1999)

I just discovered that Rob looks like a friend I went cruising with when we were kids, looking for women. We never found any. Maybe the Rob look a like is why.

That’s because you’ve never seen any of the ones where Billy runs all over the neighbourhood and you can follow his path of fun by the little footprints on the drawing. Those are masterpieces of the comic strip art form, and usually quite funny too. You need to give Family Circus another chance.