Get off my dick about not getting a vaccine yet (not anti-VAXX)

Around here (South FL) we’re rapidly going from appointments are hard to get and sell out for the upcoming week in a few seconds to the point they’re begging for walk-ins.

Which is what we all, and the authorities, all expected would happen. The problem is it happened with about 100 million Americans saying “No thanks” or “Hell no, over my dead body.”

There is also a huge increase in production of doses. ~2.5 million shots are being given a day but maybe most of those are second doses.

Umm, that’d be all of us.

Yeah, even those of us who think “get off my dick” is a weird saying… (last guy who I yelled that at was a store clerk… he was confused, but he did climb off.)

Seriously, we appreciate the update. I kept checking back hoping you’d gotten poked.

My wife, too, had a tough time afterwards (daughter, too, both had 100+º fevers, so no sleep, then long hospital shifts the next day). I had a bad day, but I was glad, because I could feel my body making spiky cells!

Yeah, I got a txt today that Cook County (Chicago area) has 6 locations open for walk-in through the weekend.

My husband finally added himself to the state waiting list. I’m curious to see how long it takes before they contact him to make an appointment.

I’ll describe my experience, and you guys can decide if it counts as “max vaccination.”

I went to a clinic being held by my hospital in an unused section of a local college. When I arrived, I waited a bit outside the door until someone at the door said there was room to stand inside, and was asked if this was my first or second shot. Very soon after I was directed to one of many standing tables where they did intake, and I was given a number. Then I went and sat in a room with socially distanced chairs which were constantly being cleaned.

It took maybe a couple minutes before they called my number, and I was directed to another room with a bunch of long sit-down tables, each with a different tech at the end who would give the shot. I give them my paper, and they read it. They then had to check with the pharmacist on something (my reaction to the MMR shot back when I was a toddler) but said that didn’t matter and gave me the shot. It felt like when they draw blood, except it was over with really quickly. It was bandaged, and then they then wrote on the top how long I’d have to wait before I could leave.

Then I was directed to another room with chairs that were spaced, and, this time, we were all essentially assigned seating, with one nurse directing us to a seat. I waited the alotted time, and went up to a check out desk where they’d look at my paperwork once again and told me to come back at the same time four weeks from now. They then gave me a sticker and I left.

It definitely felt like I was part of some sort of vaccine assembly line. I can’s say I’ve had another experience like it. Due to my anxiety and trouble sleeping the night before, it was also a bit disorienting. But I got it done, and am ready to get the second shot–even if I am a bit anxious about the side effects.

That said, my side effects on this shot were minor: just a bit of soreness, my normal tiredness maybe being a bit worse, and eventually a knot-like bump under where the shot was that itched slightly for a bit. It really wasn’t much at all, to the point I wouldn’t have thought much of any of it even if I’d not gotten a shot.

It was 21 days after I was eligible, and 20 days after my first Moderna shot, that MyTurn.ca.gov texted to say it was my turn.

Welcome to the club! Good on ya for beating anxiety.

We’ve got a QZ thread on the second shot. I’m on my phone or else I’d cite it.

Experience varies from nothing to a couple days felling ill but not being ill. Nothing to truly fear. The anxiety can be beaten as you’ve just proven to yourself.

Now that you say this, it occurs to me to wonder whether the two shots are identical.

For Pfizer and Moderna at least the two shots are the same, dosage amount and everything.

Thanks. Mild curiosity satisfied.

Good post!

Quoting myself for context:

@BigT - I’m back to my desktop. Try these:

Honestly, the most anxiety I felt was right before the phone call to set up the appointment. But I just waited it out a bit until it subsided. The issue on the day was just that, for the first time, it felt hard to breathe a mask, suggesting I was hyperventilating a bit. Like I said, the experience was more disorienting. I expect it to be less so next time, now that I know what to expect.

Good for you for pushing through. I am trying to coax one of my sisters into getting a shot. She finally opened up to me some more today and I am pretty sure that it’s more anxiety than stubbornness. Once I realized that, I had a much easier time getting through.

We may have turned the corner on my last holdout sister. It was a combination of tough love from my stepmom (her mom) who said that she can’t come to her house if she’s unvaxxed, explaining the science from her nerdy brother (me) and loving patience from our other sister. I am really happy.

Hooray! 1 down, 25 million 24,999,999 more to go. :slight_smile:

Congratulations, that is honestly very encouraging :slight_smile: . There was in article in the WaPo today about some vaccine-adverse people that have been converted through a variety of messages. Some progress is slowly being made.

But you head the man…

Get busy hajario :smile:!

This is really encouraging to hear; thanks for sharing!

Plus my brother in law and niece (who is 18 today). So actually 24,999,997!