Getting a dog - if you had to choose...

True, but in giant breeds their care, socialization and diet in the early years are crucial to their development. Also, Newfs tend to bond once very strongly, but have trouble re-bonding with a new family later if they have to be adopted out. We took in an unwanted almost-adult female, and it was years before she was comfortable and loved us.

Quick update -
I heard back from the people that had Dobson as to who the breeder was; it turns out Dobson’s litter was a one-off try at breeding for a lady who had a purebred couple and wanted to see what their pups would look like. He was one of three pups and the only one that was sold. As far as my friend knows they never bred again, due to that fact that the litter wasn’t ‘show quality’ lhasas. Why not, you ask, as Dobson is clearly a handsome and very clever dog?
Because Dobson and his litter were shih tzus. They turned out to be far larger than ‘show quality’ shih tzus, the same size as lhasas, which is why I always thought he was one.
Now I wonder whether to get a shih tzu for its personality or a lhasa for its size…maybe a mix?
I also learned, on a sad note, that at the age of 15 Dobson passed away this past April 1st while his owners were on vacation. He just laid down on her sister’s lawn after playing with the kids and fell asleep, never woke up. He had an enlarged heart and it just gave out. He was a darling dog.

Sorry to hear about Dobson, but the breed makes more sense now!

Please don’t try for a Shi-sa or Lha-tsu or whatever they might call such a dog… those will definately be puppy-mill dogs. You don’t want to give money to those folks, in any capacity.

How about just looking for a small dog with a good personality? Going for an adult would eliminate a lot of your issues…

This is probably inappropriate, but I’d like to add that every single “rescue animal” person I’ve ever had the misfortune to deal with has been certifiably Bat Shit nuts.

Hey, watch that broad brush, Catfish! Our own Snakes Cat Lady is one of those persons, and she’s not certified in her nuts-ness. She’s only as nutty as the rest of us!
I would posit that some people who get into rescue are fervent and devoted, and that can manifest itself in dramatic ways. Some people can go too far with their efforts and that can show itself as hoarding or spending every penny they have on pet food. Those folks are the ones that stand out and wind up in the papers.

RIP Dobson.

Some background - In the US, the Lhasa Apsos first arrived in the thirties, as a gift from the the then Dalai Lama. That first pair was bred, and then some other Lhasas from Britain were imported and bred with the US dogs. And then, in scandal that rocked dogdom, a British breeder imported seven Shih tsus but called them Lhasa Apsos, and bred them with the American Lhasas. Probably all the registered Lhasa Apsos in the country today have some percentage of Shih tsu ancestry. In fact, AKC registered dogs in both the Shih Tsu and Lhasa Apso breed have common ancestors.

The main physical differences are that Shih tsus have a shorter, squarer body profile, where Lhasas are longer bodied. Shih tsus have shorter, flater noses - not as extreme as a peke or pug, but more in that line. They’re more likely to have a underbite than not, and their eyes bulge a little more. Lhasas have a more defined muzzle, stronger teeth and jaws and less pronounced eye sockets.

Tempermentally, Shih tsus are renowned for their sweetness and make good companion and hospice dogs. Lhasas, as I said above, are independent, self controlled, and occasionally bloody minded. Adding the Shih tsu blood lines to the Lhasas has actually improved the breed, helping curb their difficult temperament.

My advice, as a fan of the Lhasa Apso personality, is that you not buy them just for their size and looks. If I were you, I’d go for the Shih tsu personality, like the dog you knew and loved. I’d be more willing to work with a rescue Shih Tsu than a rescue Lhasa, but I’d probably still take my time in finding the right one.

Good luck! And keep the pictures coming!

Thanks for the defense, Nawth Chucka! I’ll buy you a beer at the next game!

Working in rescue I have definitely met more than my share of nutcases - I used to work for one. Some of them have their hearts in the right place, but just can’t say “no” to one more kitten… . It’s very sad because often the hoarders end up doing more harm to the cats than good.

I am “nutty” to a small degree - I have 8 cats and have enclosed a double garage to give them their own “suite” - but I do know my financial and emotional limits and won’t take in more than I can care for.

My 2 cents, as a shelter/rescue worker, and also an animal ER technician, is at first inclination to always recommend rescued animals. However, you will not get the crazy ranting from me if you decide to go the breeder route. My only concern regarding breeders, is how to define a “reputable”, “good”, “responsible” breeder. I never dealt with breeders until I started working at the ER and a vet there breeds Afghans (and we get lots and lots of dumbasses bringing their backyard-bred females in with birthing difficulties) He doesn’t do it for the money. He sells the pups that can’t win in the show ring, the two litters I know of happened 2 years apart, and even with selling pups he LOSES money. If a breeder is doing it for the perpetuation of the perfection of the breed, shows the dogs (you should see ribbons and trophies from the shows proudly displayed) and is not trying to make a profit, in fact is expecting to lose financially, then and only then are you looking at a reputable/good/responsible breeder.
When I have this conversation with people face-to-face, the usual reply to the above is something like, “then most breeders aren’t ‘good’ breeders?” and I reply “Correct!”
So as long as you can find a breeder who fits that description, go for it. You should be able to visit the home and see the parents, a “good” breeder would never fly their babies anywhere, and a “good” breeder might (I say might) even want the puppy spayed or neutered either prior to the sale or in the contract. They will especially counsel you as a new parent as to what to expect. I personally encourage puppy training classes, they are just as important to your new dog’s socialization/training as they are to yours!
Good luck with your search. Pets are an amazing and sometimes life-changing experience, and they are a crucial (IMHO) addition to a household.

I’m pretty anti-breeder/big supporter of rescue and shelter. I found that if you have a fondness for a certain breed, you can find one or a close mix of whatever you want at a shelter. In my experience, just going to the shelter the dog chooses YOU. There is that “click” moment. If I had to do it all over again I would seek out a Dachshund or a dachshund mix. So cute it makes me want to die. Right now I’m happy with my pup. He’s a rat terrier chihuahua mix (rathuahua)

Ignatius is my best friend and I never looked back

For you math types, here is how you make an Ignatius (hes the far right picture or the “sum”)

I got my dog 8 years ago. Like you, I wanted a specific breed. I tried to find an aussie in the local shelter, but no small or medium dogs were available at all, and I looked for several months. What we get here in the local shelter are about 90% husky/lab mixes.

I finally ended up getting one from a local breeder (a mini-aussie, at the time I didn’t even know they existed). She’s a great dog and extremely intelligent. (a little hyper and psycho though).

Your area may have a better selection at the shelters though, and as others have said, try the rescue organizations. Sometimes Vets will put up Rescue Org. info on their bulletin boards.

Good luck! (Lhasas are so cute)

As I said upthread, this varies a LOT regionally. Some regions actually have a shortage of good dogs looking for homes - much less being able to stumble upon an exact breed or mix. And some breeds are more common than others and therefore more available in a shelter. It can be hard to find a BREEDER of certain breeds, much less be able to find one in a shelter or a rescue that is close.

One of my employees has a cat shelter. She has had several people adopt cats off her web page, a few to distant places. She recently had someone “fall in love” with the picture of a black cat. The people had the cat flown to them. A black cat. Now how rare is that? :confused: