Getting drunk from soaking your hands

It could be of use for someone with ulcers that wants to get drunk, but I can’t see it being worth it.

Shagnasty: Good warning about the fire hazard. I can see someone soaking in it and being declared a case of spontanious human combustion.

ryobserver: So the woman was truely pickled.

It’s not going to do you any good in a glass.

I’m a nurse in a hospital, and (this happened a few years ago) we recently had gotten approval to use gel disinfectants to rub on our hands. The brand was Isagel, and we had dispensers outside of the rooms, so we could “wash” our hands before going in and being with patients. We were short staffed some, and the secretary was also doing some nurse aid duties to help us out (helping lift pts, change linens, ya know, stuff you have to wash your hands frequently for) .

Now keep in mind, the instructions on the bottle tell you to wash your hands with soap and water every, oh I don’t remember, every fourth time you use the stuff. But she never washed the stuff off her hands all night. Just kept reapplying and reapplying as she got her work done that night. After a few hours she seemed stumbling around drunk. I didn’t think something like that could happen but it did.

Inebriation (even fatal) via alcohol bath would definitely work for women. The details would requite more of an explanation of the vaginal mucosa (and the real role of Bartholin, Skene’s and Cowpers glands vs. mucosal ultrafiltrate) than my current level of alertness will support.

Suffice it to say that vaginal absorption of alcohol has been reported in the medical literature, and was cited as something of a problem in adloscent girls in Finland, Norway and the US in the mid-90s. Were those reports accurate? I can’t say, having no firsthand knowledge. I can say, having seen the effects firsthand, that other (illegal) drugs can be absorbed vaginally, even to the point of overdose.

In a world that has seen (NEJM, 1994, IIRC) attempted suicide by hundreds of simultaneous nicotine patches, this should be no surprise.