Getting nailed, doggie-style

Yes, mere hours after my arduous, hung-over, 7-hour drive home from the Chicago Dope-fest, my dog took a direct-hit, faceful of skunk spray in the back yard, on his way to his dog run as I was letting him out.

This skunk did the spray equivalent of napalming a Vietnamese village. The exterior of my car smells like skunk – and it was parked out front, while this occurred in the back yard!

As many of you may know, about the only thing that works on this is a mixture of hydrogren peroxide, baking soda and liquid soap. The only supermarket still open, of course, was out of peroxide.

I was able to find two small bottles at a gas station/convenience store. It wasn’t enough to mix the proper-sized batch of the stuff, but at least I was able to wash my dog’s head well and neutralize the odor down to ‘terrible’ from ‘mortifying.’

That was one very morose dog in the bathtub.

Ugh. That smell is still everywhere. And on this particular, still-recovering stomach, that is decidedly not a good thing.

Thought this was gonna be a thread about your virtual marriage.

Your poor dog! Your poor stomach!

I was afraid you nailed your dog doggie style while you were drunk.

I thought this was going to be highlights of ChiDope I missed. Then when I got to “direct hit” I thought “Oh no, Milo’s puppers got hit by a car.” Not that being skunked is good or anything…

Poor puppers. Poor hung-over nauseated Milo. :frowning:

I think that if there were doggie-style nailing going on at ChiDope, you would have been involved in it, Porcupine…

I have heard that tomato juice can work on skunk smell.
Is this an old piece of folklore, or is there a basis for it?

I was thinking your car got assholed on the drive home…that would have been worse than this. Glad to hear the weekend wasn’t too dull without us ;).

Tomato juice works, but it takes vast quantities to make any difference. I think it’s also rather acidic for doggy’s delicate skin.

Upon reading the thread title, my very first thought was “Okay, who molested Milo? And why wasn’t I there taking pictures?” :slight_smile:

Good luck trying to get out that skunk smell. My only suggestion would be to call a vet and ask them what would be safe to use on the dog. That, and invest heavily in air fresheners and nose plugs.

I’ve also heard that douche, of all things, works. I was kinda hoping, while reading this, that Milo had heard that as well, 'cause a guy buting massive quantities of douche at the supermarket late at night is one of those things I would just have to laugh at. Sorry about the dog, though. I hate when that happens.

http://www.geocities.com/loonygreetings/skunk.gif

Sorry… I realize I m starting to get on the dopers’ nerves by posting all those pictures…
I think I have a picture problem… do you think there is a “link posters anonymous” club?

Take a large glass, half full of tomato juice. Fill to the brim with vodka, drink it down quick, and the smell won’t seem quite so bad anymore.
Repeat as necessary.

Doug -

The tomato juice thing is more wive’s tale than effective. You end up with a stinky, pink dog.

The hydrogen peroxide-baking soda-soap thing actually works well. Something about the oxygenation caused lifting the smell away.

The direct recipe from the inventor, found on-line:

• take one quart hydrogen peroxide, mix in about a quarter-cup baking soda and about a teaspoon of liquid soap. Mix up well and quickly bathe your nasty dog with it.

That, and an extended period of time are about the only things that work.

Dinsdale - Trust me. Your recipe was not an option after my Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Stinkossarian

Sure-fire Skunk Odor Remover

1 Quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon of Liquid Soap
Wash while mixture is bubbling… rinse off thoroughly.
This works. The only reason it isn’t bottled and sold commercially is because it can’t. If you bottle this it will explode.

Oh, so that’s what you meant when you said “Thank you for bending over.” :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

So Milo, hope you were able to get more Hydrogen Peroxide. And “stinky pink dog” is a great band name.

Our dog buck had the misfortune of getting skunked in our back yard. We live on 10 acres and a lot of it is wooded.

The above mentioned mixture does work really well. We took him out in the yard to ‘do him’ It did lighten his fur a bit from dark orange to a sort of light auburn but it suited him. Good luck!

If you can’t get enough hydrogen peroxide, try washing the dog with Fast Orange hand cleaner. It does a marvelous job of eliminating other odors so perhaps it will help.

When I was a kid, a skunk crawled under my Dad’s car. He was surveying the situation when a neighbor volunteered that he knew how to get the skunk out from under the car.

Dad went in the house to “get out of the way” and just a minute later he heard “BLAM” – the neighbor had SHOT the skunk while still under the car!

The “best part” was that Dad had been enlisted to pull a float in a local parade that evening – and except for some commercial vehicles wasn’t able find anything else to pull the float. :wink:

I learned this the hard way—on a Great Pyrenees!:eek:

First the obligatory joke…

You don’t understand, Chunks is my dog!!

Nasty situation Milo.

The peroxide trick is new by me and I hope you were able to get ample amounts if it works as well as described.

The only other option I would give you is to try toothpaste. Not sure if it would work on the skunk smell but it will do wonders with the fish smell on your hands after a hard day of fishing.

You know, I’m not even going to share what went through my head when I saw this thread title.

Although, I did think briefly “Dammit, I knew I shouldn’t have gone to bed early in Chicago…”