Getting rid of games! Help! Sentimental value vs utility vs replaceability

So I’m getting ready for a move and trying to figure out what to do with my PS2, GBA, and boatload of games for both platforms plus Xbox and PC.

Here’s the deal: I worked on many of these games and I feel attached to them because my name is in the credits and I spent years of my life helping get these shipped. I don’t have any particular desire to actually play most of them–I don’t even have an Xbox, for Pete’s sake–but I feel sad getting rid of them, for sentimental reasons.

I can’t decide if I should just go ahead and sell them (figuring that I can always buy a new copy on eBay later if I want to look at them again–they’re not signed or anything) or hold onto them. I have no particular attachment to these particular copies of these games, so I’d be fine buying replacements (the school of thought that says it’s fine to replace a dead hamster with one that looks exactly the same).

And if I keep them, should I also keep the console they work with? I sort of worry that ten years and several new generations of consoles hence, I’ll have trouble finding working copies of these games again.

I’m tempted to hang onto the PS2 when we move so that we can use it as a DVD player instead of buying a new one when we get there. If I keep the PS2, though, should I keep all the games I worked on that I don’t play, or the games that I bought that I do play (occasionally), or all of the above, or none of the above?

Also, if I sell all this stuff, where and how should I sell it? I need to get everything sold in a month or so. Credit for local stores will obviously be no good to me. Options I’m considering: Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, garage sale, Gamestop, Half Price Books, Rasputin’s (used record store). The last four have the advantage of allowing me to offload a big batch of stuff all at once, but they also give you worse prices. Plus, I’m not sure if Gamestop gives cash or only trade, and I doubt they take computer games. I’d get better prices overall from the first three options, I think, but I am worried that if I send the PS2 or GBA through the mail, they will stop working and create a huge hassle.

Help! I don’t want to drown in a sea of junk. I would really like to get rid of most of my stuff before this move. But I also don’t want to get rid of things that mean a lot to me and then regret it later if I have trouble getting them again. WWTTMD?

This teeming mass* would keep them. They honestly don’t take up THAT much room.

But I’m a sentimental bastard, so take that as you will.

*Eewww.

Well, if you decide to get rid of them…drop me an email (it’s in my profile) what you want to part with as far as PS2 and PC stuff. :slight_smile: I’m always looking to add to my collection.

Sell the whole lot and just buy replacements if you really feel like you need to have them back. I’ll bet you won’t feel the need, though.