Gettysdope II pictures and recap

Didja read that, jayjay? TwoTrouts knows you’re gay and yet gerbils are still brought up.

I tell ya’. The nerve of some people.
:wink:

Dammit, Skip! I’m sitting here trying with all the willpower I can muster NOT to make a gerbil joke out of that and you come along and just whisk that rug out from under me!

In defense of Ethirilist, In Minnesota, our dopefests tend to include beer. You Gettysdope folks have to learn some Minnesota humor. :smiley:

A case could be made that it is situations like that that demonstrate to children that alcohol consumption can be moderate and responsible.

It’s also a good opportunity to show the kids that grownups have to follow rules, too – like the one that says “no alcoholic beverages in the park.”

Of course some people follow directions better than others.

They do seem to be a big hit wherever we take them. Thanks, I’ll pass it along.

Hey, I didn’t see a THING…not a thing. No sirreebob, not I…

Well, that’s true too.

Ethilrist, no big deal, I just thought that was kind of outta’ left field.

I regret that I didn’t taste the chili. Didn’t even know it was there. Then again since I spent the night in Gingy’s basement, maybe it was really for the best…

Thank heavens I brought along my beano. :smiley:

You’re not the only one offering up praises for that…

In case anyone is wondering, I am so giving him the evil eyed stare right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

:stuck_out_tongue: I was actually quite proud of that one.

[QUOTE=twickster]
rock n roach has your cooler also – we made her take the corn.QUOTE]

Yes, I have your cooler though the corn went to a needy family. I’m going to assume that you’re not concerned with getting it back anytime soon - Let me know otherwise. If I ever make another Gettysdope, I’ll be sure to bring it

This makes a double batch, so you’ll need two crock pots.

4~5# 90% lean ground beef
1 large spanish or white onion
1 each red, green, and yellow bell peppers
2 small cans tomato paste
2 29oz. cans crushed tomatoes (can substitute diced)
1 extra large can of light kidney beans
1 extra large can of dark kidney beans
6~8 cloves fresh garlic
1 small can diced or sliced jalapeño peppers
1 medium can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 package of dried whole piquins
coarse ground black pepper
medium or hot ground chili powder

Place one can of crushed tomatoes and one can of paste in each pot. Drain the two cans of kidney beans and evenly divide them for equal light/dark in each pot.
Thinly slice the garlic cloves (try to get almost translucent), adding 3~4 to each pot. Add 1 tbsp coarse black pepper to each pot. Mix contents and set on low heat.

Divide meat and place 1/2 in large skillet (high sided Texas style preferred) and start on low while cleaning peppers. Clean innards out and cut peppers into dime sized pieces, dividing quantity. Do the same with the onion. Break up meat, add 1/2 of the peppers and onions, and brown over medium high heat until all meat is thoroughly browned. Dump contents of skillet into one of the pots, and repeat sequence with the remaining half of meat, peppers, and onion.

After adding meat/peppers/onion to the pot, thoroughly mix with tomato/bean/garlic and then add either jalapeño peppers or chipotle peppers. The other pot gets the other mix, unless you’re wishing to make two batches of the same. Along with the jalapeño peppers, I toss in 12~18 dried whole piquins-they’re the kinda chewy little fellas who look like small pea pods. They help to “kick it up a notch” and give that mix a ‘sneak up on you’ finish. :wink:

At that point, I let them slow cook for 3~4 hours, then remix and sample for heat degree. It’s usually pretty tame by my standards, so then I’ll add a tbsp. of Chinmayo brand hot ground chili powder to each pot and remix. That’s the way the Gettysdope mix was prepared-the firehouse crowd likes it hotter, so they get 2 tbsp in each pot. After that, let it run on low for 6~9 hours, remixing before you go to bed, and first thing when you get up. I like a minimum of 12 hours in pot for the flavors to work out right.

Some of the stuff you won’t likely find in the mainstream grocery stores. Originally I’d send my SIL an order with $ because it’s everywhere in Albuquerque, but lately I’ve found most of the small Mexican grocery stores around here have the stuff I’m looking for-just different brands. Hatch and Embasa brands can be bought online AFAIK, if there are no bodegas in your location.

Enjoy, and then make some noise! :stuck_out_tongue: :eek: :smiley:

Don’t worry about it. Like I wrote above, the only times we’ve even put anything in it in the last two years was to bring things to Gettysdopes. Otherwise it just sits out on our deck empty.

If? If?

So I’ve wasted the last few days working on my plan to saw a dog in half next year?

You missed Cleophus and Catsix speaking geek. If we’d only remembered then you were a programmer, you could have joined in. (Only when he asked how many fingers she had, and she said eight did I realized how far they’d gone from English to HTML, Fortran and the other geek dialects)

How can you resist the siren call of Gettysdope?

av8rmike has sent his Gettysdope photos, and they’re in the Photobucket-Gettysdope numbered. Thanks for contributing!

OK,

It’s late, but at last, my pictures are up.

Here is the directory list, sorry for the absence of thumbnails, but I don’t do web stuff.

Gettysdope

Tris