Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer #2 [spoilers for movie]

I can’t hate on GB2! It has Peter MacNicol (“Everything you are doing is bad. I want you to know this.”), and he absolutely kills it. It also has that huge, horrible painting of Vigo the Carpathian (“He’s VIGO!”) . . and more Aykroyd, Ramis and Murray. The Statue of Liberty thing was kinda lame, but other than that, it was more fun time spent in Ghostbusters-land.

If you’re a hard-core Ghostbusters fan, get on Steam or the EPIC game launcher (discounted on Epic now) and buy the Ghostbusters Remastered game. Ramis & Aykroyd worked on the script. Not the best game, but great fun as an interactive movie.

The trailer for 1984’s Ghostbusters didn’t exactly make the movie look like it was going to be a laugh riot. One of the things I like about Ghostbusters is that they pretty much played it straight. For the most part, the paranormal activities weren’t silly, cute, and they weren’t the source of the humor. Instead the humor came from what was said or how the characters reacted to the situations they found themselves in. I probably won’t see Afterlife in theaters but I’ll catch it when it comes to a streaming service I actually subscribe to.

Have to agree with this. The brilliance of the original Ghostbusters was that the horror elements were essentially treated straight, (within a PG-13 rating). The comedy came from the dry reactions from once in a generation actors.

It’s funny, this thread has reminded me of previous conversations I’ve had about the movie. The basic premise is, “a 100 year old cult performed occult rituals intended to summon an ancient evil god to bring about the end of the world.” But its a comedy. A PG-13 comedy.

This has cult movie written all over but it became a mainstream success mostly because it starred former SNL stars and had groundbreaking special effects.

FTR I enjoyed the 2016 reboot but i think it would have benefited from a heavy dose of seriousness in the middle. The over the top negative reaction came from misogynists and incels.

Just to add, any gamers, who are also fans of the first movie, who haven’t played the Ghostbusters game that was written by Dan Ayckroyd and Harold Ramis need to go out and get it NOW. Its fantastic.

I mentioned that above, but I’m happy to have the thought seconded. Aykroyd went as far as saying the game was, “essentially the third movie.” It’s a decent, passable 3rd-person shooter that has you using the proton packs (with some added functionality) blasting things, but it takes you through a pretty engrossing story. I’m not much for 3rd-person shooters, but I stayed with it because I loved spending time in that universe again. I just put it in easy mode and walked through the ‘movie’. Great voicework from the whole cast made it seem like I was hanging out with old friends. They even got Bill Murray, who was recalcitrant WRT doing another movie for many years.

It’s still on-sale through the Epic game launcher for $6.24

Yes Face_Intentionally_Left_Blank, your post made me think of the game. (Sorry haven’t learned how to reply or quote on discourse, and I’m posting from my phone which doesn’t make it easier. I’m mostly a lurker and only post very occasionally.)

As a game it’s functional. But as an interactive movie its fantastic. And really opens up and explores some of the lore touched on in the movie. Bill Murray mostly sounds like he’s sleepwalking through the line readings but as you alluded to it a minor miracle he agreed to do it at all. And Harold Ramis voices Egon which is the last time we’ll ever here him do that.

To quote you, I highlighted the above text and pressed the “reply” button on the bottom-right of your post - but I’m using a desktop, not sure that helps you.

And I quoted that text because I felt exactly the same way. Murray’s voice-acting energy doesn’t always match the scene. Whether he’s in the firehouse BS’ing with the rookie, or on a job with ghosts attacking him, he gives the same I-need-my-coffee, low-key, quietly sardonic delivery. Ramis does much better, but Aykroyd really goes all-in. He has the same earnest energy as he does in the movies. I caught myself with a huge grin on my face several times as he excitedly explained the latest discovery about Ivo Shandor and Gozer. When Aykroyd was talking, he pulled me right in. The rest of the cast, like Ernie Hudson, Annie Potts, and William Atherton and did a great job as well.

I’ve written about this game in the past. I agree that its strength is as an interactive movie, and since they couldn’t seem to get a 3rd movie made, Aykroyd used everything that would have been in it, and I’ve never felt that ‘interactive movie’ experience more strongly. I may play it again before the new movie comes out. It’s just nice to visit that world again.

After Gozer has transformed into a gigantic marshamallow man in a sailor suit…

“Well there’s something you don’t see every day.”

Yeah, the humor was in the deadpan reactions to all the weird things that were happening.

Some somewhat spoilery toy reveals.

To quote here, highlight (= select) the text you want and press the “quote” button that appears above the text. :nerd_face:

“Where do these stairs go?”
“They go up.”

“Generally you don’t see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.”

He-Man!

I’m not sure I’ve seen a movie with such an in-my-face Walmart placement moment. It doesn’t bother me a ton but its just BAM WALMART! Reminded me of the scene in Waynes World where Wayne and Garth are talking about sponsored product placements while doing them.

ETA: Wayne's World (6/10) Movie CLIP - I Will Not Bow to Any Sponsor (1992) HD - YouTube

Shyeah! And monkeys might fly out my butt.

Mixed reviews, some people hated it. Some are upset the 2018 Ghostbusters was ignored… which I personally don’t think is a fair criticism.

I think the hate for that movie is TOXIC, but this movie deserves to be judged on its own merits IMHO.

82% on Rotten Tomatoes… I expect that to drop.

They BLAST it.

At least they got to see it. I get the original delay last year due to the pandemic. But it’s been delayed 3 or 4 more times since (if I’ve kept track correctly). Of all the movies that were delayed due to COVID, this one seems like it wins the award for longest delay.

I saw a review, I think in The AV Club, that was not good. Which is unfortunate as I want it to be good. (I’m always hoping a new movie will join my short list of favorites.)

They got two out the the three right. IMHO the Ray figure doesn’t look anything like an older Dan Aykroyd.