Gigantic eggs of unknown sea species found in Norwegian waters

These things have been spotted in the sea off Norway. Fifteen of them over the last fifteen years. Four similar observations in the rest of the world. At the moment, the best guess of the scientists is that they are eggs of some kind of unknown sea species, possibly cephalopod.

Source: Science Nordic

Video by the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet:
Observe the diver interacting with the egg at about 30 seconds in for scale compared to a human. Bloop egg?

Cthulhu.

One meter in diameter is pretty big for a single egg!

A similar car-sized blob was found off the coast of Turkey in 2015 (video here), which turned out to be a squid egg mass. Speaking about this latest find, Michael Vecchione, an invertebrate zoologist at the Smithsonian Institution, said “the reason it’s different is because of the dark streak that goes through the center of it.” I presume that might suggest that it’s not a mass of smaller individual eggs.

Whatever you do, don’t feed 'em after midnight!!!

Interesting! The other cases I mentioned was two off Alaska, one off the cost of Sweden (west coast at a guess) and ne off Turkey. In terms of environments Turkey and the med was definitely the odd man out. So we are left with Alaska, Norway and Sweden. Much more environmentally similar.

Now they’ve only got to find a Godzilla tadpole and we’ve worked out the chain of development.

I have my own theory.

I think this is going to turn out to be an organism in its own right, rather than an egg - one of those things that, colloquially, gets lumped in with ‘jellyfish’, but is actually some other kind of gelatinous zooplankton, like Salps and Siphonophores.

They’re heeeere!

I think it might be a Blemp, or maybe a Prybelzope. But I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that it might be a Zedirwamp.

Certainly possible. However, the marine biologists who have examined the video seem to believe some kind of egg, more specifically cephalopod egg is most probable. Well, except for the size.

Nobody is claiming them to be single eggs, but egg masses. Clumps of smaller eggs. There is zero chance these are large single eggs. Zero.

Yeah, if that was a single egg, then it looks like the creature that would emerge might be multiples of feet long. I’m not a marine biologist, but I thought baby squid and octopi were pretty tiny.

It does look very different to the Turkish blob, though. When the torch was shone through the Turkish blob, one could see it was full of tiny eggs or maybe hatchlings, somewhat like frog spawn, pretty evenly dispersed. The Norwegian blob, though, has a highly concentrated core of differential coloration. I’m wondering what the consistency of the blob is. Whether it’s a uniform jelly-like substance or whether the interior is more liquid and allowing for greater movement. If that was the case, then the dense colored area might be eggs and then the hatchlings would be able to swim around the rest of the blob for a bit before it breaks down and they can disperse into the ocean. Anyway, that’s just me speculating with no weight of authority in this field.

Some marine creature forms large tubes from thousands of individuals.

What about a smaller species of Mothra?

The shape inside the egg in the first picture of the article looks ray-shaped. They have caught giant stingrays that are 14 feet long, so…

It would be difficult for that to look less like a stingray egg.

They look like something Batman should have in his Batbelt to throw at his enemies.

Check out some more pictures of squid egg masses. They look like scenes from the movie The Abyss.

Another possible interesting thing. If one looks closely at this photo of the Norway blob, it appears pretty smooth except at the side on the left near the largest area of discoloration. It looks rough or perhaps broken. I wonder if perhaps the discolored mass may therefore be from an external factor such as algae, bacteria or some parasitic lifeform. Or perhaps it’s just a relic of the blob’s creation from the squid’s ovipositor, or whatever they have. Like a belly-button.

I feel like if I took a raw egg and threw it into the forest, it would last for about a 5 seconds before something started to eat on it.

You would think that these things wouldn’t survive long enough to be spotted by anyone.

Don’t you mean Rayman? Everybody loves Rayman.

As for the mass, I also think salp colony.