Give me your under $20 shiraz recommendations

The first shiraz I ever tasted was Yellow Tail, and I’ve been a die-hard fan ever since. I’ve tried a few other labels now and then, but by far the most oft purchased is Yellow Tail. Today, I snagged a bottle of The Reserve Yellow Tail 2003 Shiraz by Casella Wines, and it is truly divine.

So what’s your favorite?

After viewing the title, I came in to suggest Yellow Tail. That’s good cheap wine.

Heh. Me too!

My favorite is Rosemont Estates Shiraz-Cabernet blend. It is never more than $10 a bottle, goes great with food, and tastes delicious. People have always been appreciative and impressed when I show up with a bottle as a gift at dinner parties and the like.

Go with the Shiraz McLaren Vale from almost any year. Great stuff, and you should be able to find it for under $20. 2001 is the best.

I’m not really sure how available they are around the country but there are a few I like that I can usually find fairly easily around here.

Delicato (CA) had a Shiraz in a box for awhile. It’s been hard for me to find lately. They may have just gotten rid of some excess juice then discontinued it, but it was pretty tasty and priced right. Around $12 or $13 for a 3 Liter bag in a box. (Equal to 4 bottles, so about $3/‘bottle’)

Pepi (Napa Valley [Oakville]) does a decent Shiraz (screw cap.) About $10 or $12 a bottle.

Cambria and Eberle Wineries out of SoCal do really nice Syrahs. Same grape, but I’ve found that, CA winemakers at least, tend to use the name Syrah when the wine has a little more spice or zest, and Shiraz when it’s more of a fruity, ready to drink wine. Still, if you like Aussie Shiraz you should definitely give Syrah a shot.

Cambria is about $18-$20 a bottle. Eberle is around $13-$16 a bottle.

You cannot beat King Fish shiraz for the money: $6.99

It’s satisfactorily yummy.

The two I would recommend are:
[ol]
[li]Domaine Borie de Maurel Cuvee Alex: Syrah-Mourvedre-Grenache blend[/li][li]Mas Bressades Vin de Pays Syrah and Grenache: Syrah and Grenache Blend [/li][/ol]
The first was about $17 a bottle and the latter about $9. I have had the 2001 and 2002 of both wines and found them to have good balance and a very fruit forward taste. They are also both from the Costieres de Nimes area of Languedoc-Roussillon.

Tyrrell’s Long Flat Shiraz… a damn fine Aussie shiraz. Cheap too. Great with steak.

Just wanted to say thanks to y’all… I had no idea what a “shiraz” was… I thought maybe it was some sort of Bar Mitzvah/Bat Mitzvah gift or something. :smack:

Thanks for educating a non-drinker. :stuck_out_tongue:

Washington state wineries do very well with Syrah/Shiraz.

I’d recommend Columbia Crests’s Two-Vines Shiraz, which I usually find for $8 or less. Other wineries with reasonably priced Syrahs include Hogue Cellars and Covey Run.

wolf blass yellow label. it’s about $17Cdn here and probably one of the better wines i’ve had.

If you want to try some really good and excellent syrah (shiraz) and blends I would suggest you try more in the $13 to $20 per bottle range (the upper end of the limit set in the OP). You will be amazed at the difference in the aroma and balance between fruit, acidity and tannins that is lacking in the $10 and under range. The finish on the $13 to $20 will also be longer and less harsh than the alcohol laden heat produced by the lower price wines.

IMHO, I would rank the current (Vintages 2001 to present) areas for good to great syrah in the above referenced price range as follows with best listed first:
[ol]
[li]Costieres de Nimes area of Languedoc-Roussillon (though often blends)[/li][li]Australia (Thorn Creek, if you can find it, has some excellent shiraz)[/li][li]Washington (Columbia Valley, Walla Walla and Red Mountain)[/li][li]California[/li][/ol]

Can some of our mates from Down Under recomend some Shiraz? There’s tons of great Shiraz in Australia, but I’m not sure regarding specific recomendations. Definately here in China, the Australian wines are more price competitive than the American

Thanks y’all! I’m making a list.

The Yellow Tail reserve bottle I finished today was on sale for about $13, and even my very (very) unrefined pallet was able to discern the differences that you mention, Waterman.

I had never really cared for any of the reds I encountered in my pre-shiraz life. But now…I’m a believer.

Glad to hear - Wine is like many other things in life. You have to be willing to expand your horizons, try new things and find out what is out there. Sort of like life!

There are several good Shiraz mentioned in earlier posts. I’d agree with those, particularly Wolf Blass. These days wines from the Margaret River in WA are always worth a look and Tasmania has some interesting new players.

Posts 5 & 12 are Australian Shiraz, in case that wasn’t clear.

I’ve had several good ones from Barossa - how is that in the grand scheme of Australian wine growing districts?

Large, old and established. There’s a lot of production coming out of there, with commensurate variety.

The Margaret River (WA) and Tasmanian wines are up-and-comers.

BTW I have no commercial or personal interest in winemaking. I just drinks it.