Giving credit where it's due (re: Bush and the ME)

Or maybe their ability to quench that thirst is slightly preoccupied with other matters…

Or maybe it’s a little of column A and a little of column B.

Or maybe some people will just see Bush as out for war if his ice cream isn’t cold enough. That’s how ridiculous it’s getting.

Here ya go.

Yup, the IRA and that issue was/is exactly the same. Direct comparisons are warranted. (Though, the IRA and London haven’t been going at it for 5000 years. But, meh, details.)

Too bad we didn’t have the foresight to make Bill Clinton leader for life. I’ve grown to kind of like Bill, he didn’t fuck anything up too badly (debatable I guess), and he makes for a great punchline.

But to suggest he was the answer to centuries of animosity? I’d expect that rhetoric from Franken, but the leader of the DNC? If that’s who you want to lead the direction of the party, sell the house and send him a check. It can only help conservatives.

Regrettably, if he was still riding the wave of unquestioned patriotic fervor from 9/11, and our military was not overextended, I do beelive the restraint would not be so poignant. I see the restraint as a political and logistical necessity, not a choice by the administration. I was listening to NPR today and I was intrigued by Ambassador Wilson’s assertion that the Bush Administration is fringe of the Republican party that only got power because of a single historical event.

If you remember Sy Hersh’s article, they did have plans for using nuclear weapons on Iran - as an option, not as the chosen course. Happily the military has made them back off.

Diplomacy is tough, and it takes an attention span far greater than Bush has. Destroying our credibility hasn’t helped, the desire for democratic elections without considering the consequences haven’t, and sending his buddy to do a PR blitz (remember that - worked real well) hasn’t either.
Whiners like you and your buddy just moan how nobody could do better when things get fucked up. It’s not Democrat or Republican (Henry the K knew what he was doing) it’s competence vs. incompetence, and you’ve got the incompetent side.

Yes, that’s quite a remarkable statement considering that Bush was elected nearly a year prior to that single historical event. Unless he’s implying that the people knew that 9/11 was going to happen and elected Bush accordingly that far ahead of the actual event, I’d say the only thing that could be considered “fringe” is Mr. Wilson’s opinion, and if he is implying that he went straight to “lunatic fringe”.

Hence my comment about lowered expectations. Key Lime Guy is praising Bush for not doing something that he shouldn’t do - and isn’t doing because he can’t. I mean, I’m glad that invasions of Syria and Iran don’t seem imminent, but fuck, I can’t find a way to make it a complement for Bush.

I think he was implying that the actions the administration took after 9/11 were indicative of very few Republicans and that the administration was able to show their true colors. They would not have been re-elected except for the patriotic fervor. I just thought it was interesting.

I guess it was like saying Bush was a wolf in sheep’s clothes when he was elected in 2000. He preached a “united” America and an isolationist foreign policy. But, once given the opportunity by 9/11, he tore a gaping hole in the fabric of a united nation and practiced nation building at a level not seen for some time.

I believe they want to develop a kind of nuclear weapon that is not so drastic, but that can reach silos or shelters deep underground, and not outrage the world. I’m not sure that they have perfected this technology yet, and perhaps that has kept them from taking any further action.

Not having listened to that piece, as of yet, it’s possible that he meant that the degree of power the Bush administration got after 9/11 is what’s remarkable, not that they simply got power. Much of his agenda got rammed through under the cover of patriotism/national security, and he got re-elected due, in large part, to people not wanting to change horses in the middle of the race, so to speak.

Being a War President certainly helped him solidify his power base. No?