Glove compartments

I swear it has to be my duty to post the most random and idiotic things that come to my mind, so without further ado, here’s the next in the series:

<using best Seinfeld voice> So what’s the deal with “glove” compartments? You don’t put gloves in them… They should be called “map” compartments. Or “owner’s manual” compartments.

“Give a man a match and he’ll be warm for an hour… Set him on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Pshaw…as any sporty car driver can tell you, you have to have special driving gloves to tool around in your MGB. The only place you wear them is in the car and, hence, you need a special compartment to store them in when otherwise occupied.

JB
Lex Non Favet Delictorum Votis

Glove compartments are to stick

A) your owners manuel
B) your registration
C) napkins (if you have kids)

I actually IIRC some car companies have already renamed these compartments to more general names. Utility Compartment, Storage compartment etc. As for me, the only thing that gets cleaned out less frequently than the glove box is my wallet.

Back in the days when cars were open and the steering wheels were wooden, gloves were essential. Ahhh, back when men were men and cars were cars.

funeefarmer is correct. It was considered impolite to shake hands with someone if you were dirty, and all roads in the early days of cars were… dirt. The glove compartments also stored your leather cap and goggles. Goggles were needed because the wind-shield would become covered with dust on extended drives, and would have to be folded down. Wipers and fluid were expensive, or nonexistent, options.

Unfortunately one early common accoutement in high line automobiles has almost disappeared: the lazy-suzan liquor cabinet. Some say it will soon be replaced by the work station.

So how come the bottom of “glove” compartments aren’t expandable so that you can have every map you ever bought or otherwise acquired from every trip you ever took. . .or otherwise, such compartments aren’t replaced by a scanner, computer and display?

Ray (You never know where you might end up. . .or upend, depending.)

Gallagher would be proud. On second thought, I don’t think even he would use this material.

Okay, here’s a related question: Why is the compartment between the front seats (if there is one) called a ‘jockey box’? Or is this a regional thing? It’s called a jockey box out here, and I’ve never understood why. Any thoughts?

Never heard it called a jockey box but possibly because only a jockey could sit on it without hitting his head. WAG there.

It’s called a “jockey box” because yer in BIG trouble when your wife/girlfriend finds underwear in there.

You can debate this issue; while you drive on the parkway and park on the driveway.