Goddam Ambulance Chasing Cop and Her Fucking Lawyer (RO)

Great Jumping Jellyfish, I’m pissed.

This story is about a former female police officer who broke her knee on the job. She fell down, heavily, responding to a drowned infant call.

The child survived, but is profoundly disabled. At the time that help was called, I’m sure that the child met many of the definitions of being dead: Lack of respiration, probably lack of heart beat, and given the condition today, possibly lack of brain activity.

She’s suing, claiming that the family’s negligence in letting the child sneak out of the house, and then not cleaning up the spilled water while they tried to rusucitate their DEAD BABY makes them responsible for her injuries. Because worker’s compensation isn’t enough.

Fucking A. Just how much of a shitstain, pogrocket, selfish piece of shit do you have to be to blame a family for not drying the floor while they’re dealing with a DEAD BABY? Which completely ignores that walking on a broken knee is going to have done a lot to exacerbate the injury. I’d love to ask her doctors whether they believe had the injury been treated promptly would the prognosis for it be so poor?

I’m sure that it’s simply an attempt to get money out of the family’s insurance company, but it’s still a shitty thing to do. In my humble opinion rescue workers deserve a great deal of credit for the risks they have chosen to accept to do the vital work that they do.

If, however, they’re so brain-damaged, so profoundly disabled, they can’t make that logical connection - they should be tossed on their asses, and made to subsist on SSID. It’s obvious they’re piping in air through their bellybuttons, and are too dumb to do anything productive.

You had me at “jellyfish”.

Is it also not also a sad indictment on the lack of health/accident care provided by the state and/or a litigious, greedy culture?

I don’t really want to say it, but…cops don’t entirely have a reputation as selfless, upstanding folk who would never have an inflated sense of importance or enjoy power-tripping.

On re-reading the article…what the hell, did she expect them to stop to mop the floor before trying to save a baby?

For that matter, why were the police even there? Would an ambulance be moderately more useful than someone with a gun?

For the first, I’d want to hear a bit more than that her legs ache and that she may develop arthritis, before I condemn Florida’s Worker’s Comp laws. The way I’m reading this article the cop is back on the job, now, and able to meet the physical requirements of being a police officer.

It may well be that she’s right to be concerned about the support she’ll get in the future from Worker’s Comp - there’s not enough information in the linked story for me to say that she is.

Certainly it’s a very sad indictment, in my mind, of the culture of litigation.

BTW, would someone please flag down a passing Mod? I forgot to include an RO tag on the title, and I think that one should be there.

not from my definition of RO, but I’m not queen of the internets

yet.

Because they’re more numerous, and often already out in the community on patrol, police officers usually are the fastest first responders sent to any emergency call. Also, in many areas in the US, they carry AED s in their cruisers - which can be a huge boon when minutes count.

And, while I can’t prove this, I suspect that 911 operators like having any kind of trained person on the scene immediately to be able to give them something more like an objective report of what the situation might be.

ETA: wring, just figured I’d avoid a trainwreck if I could.

And I’m sure you’d make a stunning Queen of The Internet.

another reason to send cops too, at least initially, is that rescue trucks etc often draw crowds which get in the way of traffic etc. it’s just a good idea to also send a cop car along in case it’s needed.

:cool: I already have the tiara.

Sure thing. Of course, if I sprain my finger while doing it, you better believe I’m gonna sue your ass. :wink:

I dunno, it kind of sucks, but if they’ve got a house with a pool, they’ve likely got an insurance policy to cover this sort of thing. Suing the homeowners is probably the only way to get money out of their insurance company, and if her on the job insurance sucks, I can kind of see how she might want that.

Your finger? I’m so disappointed. I figured our one Mod with a prehensile tongue would be typing with that!
Thanks for the risks you’ve undertaken to protect me from my own idiocy. :smiley:

The cop has dropped the lawsuit.

Thanks for the update, ETF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-6IppcvRo

This was a pretty shitty thing for the cop to do, no argument.

I am profoundly saddened by what happened to the child.

However.

I am sick of hearing stories of young children and pools. I don’t know if they had a fence or anything at the house, but the story does say that the pool was not baby-proof. That just angers me beyond belief. I cannot think of a single justifiable reason to have a pool without the proper safeguards. And if you can’t afford them (although how the hell do you afford a pool?), then drain the pool, or cover it and don’t ever use it.

Damn. That poor child. And the cop, making it worse like that. Argh.

Ah yes. This happened in my backyard.

“Suspended with pay?” How much you want to be she’ll be looking for a new job within the next month?

That’s exactly right. Also, even if they don’t carry AEDs most officers are trained in CPR, and the two keys to a successful resuscitation are early CPR and early defibrillation. Like wring said, they can help with crowd control. In some cases, we’ve also had officers transport the parents/family of patients to the hospital rather than having them drive.

In addition, it could be a crime scene, as well. Where I work, law enforcement generally investigates the scene of any cardiac arrest.

All that said, this cop sounds like a douchebag.

St. Urho
Paramedic

Am I the only one at sea on this one?

-Cem

I doubt it. :slight_smile: I just sort of put it together at the moment, and used it because I liked the sound of it.

I first read this story on a message board just for cops. Every single poster was furious and wanted to see this woman out of our profession.

One poster knows the sergeant, and despises her. He claims she is everything this story would make you think she is.

Sad. Really sad.