Good News, Everybody! My Package Was Stolen! It May Be The Last Straw! (LONG)

I moved into my own apartment over twenty years ago. At first, there was a 24 hour Kwik E Mart, a large grocery store and the grocery store had a branch of my bank in it. Then, a few years later the bank branch closed. Then, the grocery store closed. Then, the kwik e mart was only open to midnight. Then, the kwik e mart closed. Then, just a few months ago, I found toxic black mold in my apartment.

It was caused by incompetent maintenance. When they replaced my dead AC unit, they installed the new one with a condenser that drained INTO my utility closet instead of outside. IT was the final screw up in a long line of screw ups on their part. I could have asked for another apartment in the complex. But, I had my fill. So I moved to another part of Philly.

I had no credit. My salary waa fine to meet the requirements of some nice buildings. But, I had no credit rating. So, I took what I could get. My new place, which required no credit, is a third smaller. It’s in a questionable neighborhood. It’s up three flights of stairs with no elevator. Rent is more than my old place.

Yesterday, my sister and her wife sent me some stuff AIUI two welcome mats and a bath mat. I work from 8:30 to at least 5pm. I was worried about my package being stolen. My new apartment has no doorbell or intercom. There is no way for me to remotely unlock the front door.

Imagine how thrilled I was when I saw a message from my sister-in-law saying the Amazon driver had confirmed they had handed me the package. I hoped, as has happened twice before, that it was just a helpful neighbor. Once, I’d found a package left inside the locked stairway. Once, I’d found a package conveniently left right outside my apartment door.

Nothing. No package anywhere. For the past few months, everytime I think things have finally hit bottom, something happens to make them worse.

I called my sister and her wife. They blamed me for the package being stolen. I can’t sleep and will very likely have to call out of work. I don’t know what to do.

No advice, just HUGS

This makes me very sad. How it is your fault the neighbors suck??

Well, that sucks. You can at least take some comfort, I hope, from the fact that the items weren’t super valuable.

In the future, would using your work address for deliveries be an option? I have to do that sometimes as there is no mail delivery at my house and some places won’t ship to a PO box. But where I worked (I’m retired now) is super easy-going; I’m sure that wouldn’t be an option for everyone.

That’s really crummy. I’m sorry and I get why you’d want to move because of this. However, you might be able to solve the single issue of Amazon deliveries being stolen, by using Amazon Locker. If you haven’t heard of that, it’s literal lockers installed inside stores or various retail-adjacent locations. You look them up, choose one near you, and tell Amazon (or tell people ordering for you via Amazon) to deliver to the locker instead of to your apartment. Then you get a code that unlocks the locker, and the package is yours.

I got a text that a parcel had been delivered to one of the automated kiosks in my apartment complex, addressed to me. I went down and entered the code they had given me. A nice padded mailer, suitable for delivering photos was inside. But it wasn’t addressed to me. It was addressed to the 70s TV actress that lived in my unit last year. I’ve gotten a couple of her fan letters before, and I’m constantly getting her tchotchke catalogs.

RE Work Address- I work from home. It’s one of the things that made the move possible.

RE Amazon Locker- I think I’ve seen them in the neighborhood. I’ll have to do more research.

I did ened up calling out. When I don’t get enough sleep, I get an increasingly bad headache and nausea.

Oh, they sent another package out today. They sent it to the management office. I called the office to explain that I was expecting a package. I figured I might have some trouble getting them to accept it. I figured they might express shock when I explained that a package had been stolen. I was wrong on both counts.

Sounds like this is the solution for future package deliveries to your new apartment. Sounds like this is the accepted practice in an area with many porch pirates/thieves about.

Yes, it makes no sense that your sister and her wife blamed you for the package getting lost or stolen before you ever saw it.

Wait, I’m confused…

So where were you when the package was delivered? Is your work of a nature where you can’t step away from it for even a minute to answer the door?

Sadly, whenever I’ve wanted to use this service, there were no lockers available in my area. Guess it’s popular.

The problem was, there was no attempt by the delivery driver to notify me when the package was delivered. From my makeshift desk, I cannot see whether a truck has arrived or if a package has been delivered.

Today, my sister left detailed instructions. The driver mostly ignored them. I got a call from him that a package was ready. I rushed downstairs expecting to have to show my ID as per the instructions she’d left. Instead, the driver had aldready left the box on the doorstep and departed.

I now want a job as an Amazon delivery driver. Sure, I don’t have a license or know how to drive. But apparently being monstrously incompetent is a requirement for the job.

Delivery drivers (not just Amazon but FedEx, UPS, etc.) typically have 100-200 stops per day. They don’t have time to wait for ID at stops.

It’s entirely possible that the person who accepted them may show up with the items when they get a convenient minute.

But otherwise, this kind of thing is part of the price for the convenience of Amazon. I live in my own house, in a nice part of Dallas, and we still sometimes have stuff go missing and get delivered to God knows where. Sometimes it gets porch-pirated because there’s a delivery photo, yet nothing on our porch when we get there, although that’s not really common. More often than not, it’s just listed as “delivered”, and there was never anything on our porch, nobody came to the door, etc… because I was working from home and can hear the delivery people putting stuff on the porch.

As far as the management office is concerned- that was how you got parcels delivered 25 years ago that required a signature. It was often a mad dash for me to get off work, speed home, and get the package before the management office would close at 5:30.

It’s more like being willing to work for Amazon is what’s required more than anything. They’re notorious for ridiculous quotas and work pace, as well as not having terrific pay.

It would not have helped in this case, but both UPS and Fedex have services to provide advance warning (via email) of packages coming to your address. These services are free though there are paid upgrades (though I don’t get enough packages to be willing to pay). Sometimes, of course, I already know that something is coming because the place from which I ordered the thing already told me, but sometimes it’s a surprise. And the emails come early enough that I can redirect the packages if necessary.

The other thing that helps is my apartment building has an Amazon package locker. This is different from the Amazon Hub lockers in supermarkets and such, in that any shipper (Fedex, UPS, USPS) can leave packages in them. I get email when one is waiting for me and it remains safely out of the hands of others until I collect it.

Years ago, I had a $5000 dSLR just left out in the open in the backyard with delivery instructions that clearly said “signature required.” This was either FedEx or UPS. This seems to, unfortunately, be nothing new. I was convinced it had been stolen most of the day (as I got a delivery confirmation and my neighbors knew nothing about it) until I went to throw out the trash and saw a box sitting there. LIke, WTF, man.

And this was ten, fifteen years ago. Things have gotten much worse. My packages end up at the neighbor’s from time to time, I get my neighbor’s packages sometimes. I am at home and maybe one out of four times the delivery driver even bothers to ring my bell.

Unfortunately, that’s just how it is today. The fact you’re being blamed for stealing the packages is upsetting. I’d politely tell them where to go, but I understand everyone’s different.

Delivery drivers hate me. I live in the backside of nowhere. If and when they find me and make the long drive. They absolutely will not ring the gate bell(fair distance from the house) altho’ I leave instructions. Everytime. They don’t have make the driveway to the door. Just effin’ ring the bell. We’ll run down there and get it. Nope. Can’t be done. I get packages not delivered. Taken 3 miles back down the county road and leaned on my mail box pole. Thrown over the gate. Thrown on the ground in front of the gate. One took a certain amount of time and balanced a box on top of the gate post.

They don’t get paid enough to care.

I sent to my daughter a Zingermans Deli gift box and when I saw the photo confirming delivery I had to chuckle because that stupid song MacArthurs Park popped into my head.

MacArthur’s Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don’t think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I’ll never have that recipe again
Oh, no

The gift box was tossed over the gate and sitting in the pouring rain. There goes the cake! Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no :musical_score:

Z’s was super cool about it, offered to resend if damaged. Someone in her complex brought it indoors. So It wasn’t damaged and packed super well nothing inside got wet.

Delivering in a big city what a ball buster that’s gotta be.

I live in a gated condo complex, though, I hear of people getting in and stealing things (like catalytic converters), but I’ve been pretty lucky. Once I had a picture sent by an Amazon driver, but the package wasn’t at my door. Duh. It was at my neighbors’ directly across from me. Fortunately, I’m retired, so I usually hear the thump against my door and get it right away.

The only time I ever had anything stolen was my own stupid fault. I ordered something not thinking about the fact that I’d be on a trip for days. It was delivered the day after I left, and wasn’t there when I got back. I wasn’t mad at anyone but myself.

Amazon fucks up on occasion and delivers things to the wrong place but they’ve always made it right when I reported it. Usually it’s a situation where they have a photo showing it was delivered and I tell them that it doesn’t look anything like my front porch and I can’t find it at a neighbor’s house.

When confronted with the germophobia of the woman I love last night, I could no longer take it. I just sat on the floor and started crying. I take pride in the fact that I sat upright and did not collapse into a fetal ball.

Everytime I think things have bottomed out, they get worse. I don’t know how much longer I can put up with this.

I don’t know how or why people put up with this stuff.