Good on you, citizens of Houston

Maybe not all of you. But the majority has elected openly gay Mayor (elect) Annise Parker. Don’t know anything about her*, but I like her if just to cause Phred Phelps an embolism.
*I assume the people of Houston know her and elected her for her attributes and not her sexuality.

The long and short of it is that Houston has elected an eminently qualified and well-suited individual to lead their city.

She happens to be a lesbian.

That people are bound and determined to believe that some horror is going to be visited upon the city because of that shows that we still have miles to go.

But congratulations to Ms. Parker all the same.

[quote=“tumbleddown, post:2, topic:521087”]

That people are bound and determined to believe that some horror is going to be visited upon the city because of that shows that we still have miles to go.
QUOTE]

True, but don’t forget this is Texas. I love my state but most folks here are, by and large, conservative rednecks. I think that if the people of a conservative state can want a lady that happens to be gay to run their town, then that’s kind of neat.
You are right, this, and the president, are not indicators that we’ve finally reached equality or anything. But they are mile markers of just how far we’ve come. And that we are farther then half-way to real equality. Which is, again, kind of neat.

Texas’ large cities trend a bit (ok, a lot) more liberal than the rest of the state. Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, and Austin all went for Obama in the last election. If you look at this election results map you can see the only big city in the state that didn’t vote Obama was Fort Worth.

I think it’s awesome that Houston isn’t bigoted enough to lock a candidate out based on sexual preference but there’s still a huge part of the state that needs some work. I’m certain that in most places in that sea of red things wouldn’t have worked out for Parker. We’ll get there though.

the only horror that could happen to Houston because of this would be Fred Phelps and his band of idiots moving there permanently …

Yee haw!:smiley:

Well, as far as I know, it never came up. She’s been in city government forever and I think she started out representing Montrose (the “gay” neighborhood and recently listed as one of the great neighborhoods in the country). It was the most boring elections in living memory - a old white guy who was an architect, an middle age black lawyer who used to be a teensy bit “I’m against the Man!” back in the day but again has been in government forever, and Annise, who is a middle aged accountant - who happens to be a lesbian. As far as I can tell, most of the city thought they were fairly interchangeable - the first election was close to a three way tie. A typical article was like this: The Public Personalities of the Candidates: Dull, Duller & Dullest. If the anti-gay activists were out in force, they were amazingly lame because they apparently skipped whole swaths of Houston. Hell, if Bill White could run again, none of them would have had a chance. Frankly, I think even Montrose went “Yay!” for a minute, then went back to work. The urban centers of Texas do tend to be waaaaaaaay more liberal that the suburban and rural areas…

Actually, the only election commercials I can remember seeing were Locke (the black guy) saying Parker (the lesbian) was either soft on crime or going to abolish the police department (this was in the runoff and I think he was desperate to find anything negative) and Parker saying Locke really was a lobbyist, even though he said he wasn’t. Brown, the white guy architect basically had a commercial trying to convince people he really wasn’t that old. Man, they were boring.

Too bad, I was just going to start a thread, “Can we throw Texas out of the Union?”

A heartfelt huzzah for Houston!

Before the election in November it was boring, and there weren’t really many attack ads, but it changed between the main election and the runoff. Locke distanced himself from it, but two of his major supporters sent out a bunch of mailers trying to scare people about the scary homosexual running for office. I never saw a mailer, I never heard any of my friends say they saw one, and I don’t know how much effect that those supporters had. Especially since if someone was scared of a lesbian becoming mayor, they would have to vote in the runoff for a black Democrat who holds fairly similar positions to the lesbian.

But anyway, I voted for Parker in the election and in the runoff and I’m very happy she won.

Yes, but Kansas could probably use a break from Phelps. Perhaps all the states should pass him around a bit to try and dilute the hate.

Those of us who voted against her would disagree with that statement.

Let me know, Ill try to be out of the country when CT has to have him …

Are you kidding? This is a dream come true for Phelps.

B…but how can you be against a gay person, and thus by extension all gay people?

There was wayyyyy too much of that during the election. Parker did not make an issue of her choice of sexuality, but her supporters did, and that’s the tone it took: a vote against Parker is a vote against gays.

Her choice was not an issue in my decision to vote against her. I simply felt that Locke was better qualified.

What I find absolute pathetic beyond belief is that this is Houston, the 4th largest city in the country. And only 152,513 people bothered to get up off their butts and go vote for a new mayor.

Yep, I’ve always said that Texas is a pretty nice state as long as you don’t stray from the big cities too much. Not necessarily because the cities are more liberal, but because the rest of the state is more conservative.

The rest of the state needs more gays who agree politically with their neighbors?

I, too, am sad that so few Houstonians bothered to vote. Since they knew Ms Parker was ahead in the polls, they just assumed they could stay home (or go shopping or hit the beer joint) & let the other Houstonians elect her.

I wanted to be sure, so I voted–on the way to the beer joint. (Actually, I went to Berryhill’s in the Heights–margaritas are cheap on Saturday.)

I hate to point this out, but I don’t think anyone else has. Most people view lesbians and homosexual men as two completely different things, especailly IME living in Texas all my life. Its sometimes like the ignorant can understand why you would be into women, but two dudes… no way, thats evil.

Good for Houston. (if she works out and all, cleaning up the interior of 610 and all that)