Goodbye, Butch. (Paul Newman died.)

My exact words when I saw this thread:

Fuck. Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck. FUCK!

I’m glad I’m alone in the office.

I just heard the news. RIP, Paul. :frowning:

The wife and I watched Cool Hand Luke last weekend for the first time.

Ahhh Luke. That and Slap Shot where favourites of mine as a kid. He was the coolest thing walking as far as I was concerned.

This is one of the first times that I’ve ever really understood feeling so sad about the death of a person you had never met. I mean, yeah, 83 is a good long life, and he seemed to really have worked hard to share his blessings, but damn.

Just damn.

I did say “aww!” when I heard this morning, around an hour ago. I think one of the tabloids broke the story that he had cancer and was “near death” back in June or July, unfortunately.

He really was an iconic personage, although he never seemed to play on that status (even though I’d never met him personally, that is the impression he gave me). One write-up I read this morning noted that he was so famously liberal that at one point he made President Nixon’s “enemies list,” which Newman was supposedly very proud of. :smiley: He was certainly very much into giving; all profits from Newman’s Own went to charity and he also set up and supported many camps for seriously ill children.

My thoughts go out to Joanne and his family; Paul Newman will most definitely be missed. And yes, TCM will certainly set aside at least a day to celebrate his movies.

Sad news. :frowning:

Somebody up there likes him, though.

Paul Newman only has weeks to live.

A great actor and a fine human being. An example of a good person who had all the success and good fortune he deserved.

Newman was a fine example of how a person can get everything in life everyone wants–fame, fortune & family–and still be a mensch.

Great actor, great man.

A friend of my worked in his office in New York. She said he was one of the nicest people she ever met. When Newman’s Own started up, he walked around to everyone’s desk and dropped off a jar of spaghetti sauce. Guess what we had for dinner that night?

He had so many great roles but Cool Hand Luke, yeah, he was great in that movie.

RIP Mr. Newman. :frowning:

I can’t imagine anyone not liking this guy. And to the list of his classic performances, check him out in “The Towering Inferno.” I’m not kidding! He and Steve McQueen give a pair of riveting performances in a not-so-great movie. I think someone once said that that was the mark of a true movie star - whether or not they could shine in a piece of junk.

I’ve been seeing his films my whole life, which is pretty much since he started making them; I’ve been trying to think of a single film of his that I disliked him in and can’t come up with one. He literally lit up the screen without chewing the scenery. Man, this is just depressing on a beautiful fall day. The leaves falling to the ground just seem to emphasize the finality of his passing.

Oh no!

Of course, one expected it, in light of how seriously ill he’s been, but seeing it in print is still such a shock. This guy has been part of cinema for my whole adult life (I’m 60), it’s like losing a warm and dependable friend.

Still, we have some consolation in knowing that, as with all movie stars, he’ll never really leave us as long as he’s up there on the screen.

And I hate to say this but, with the impending financial crisis and the debate aftermath, I think Newman may have picked the wrong weekend to leave us. Only because I think maybe his death won’t get the necessary news coverage it deserves.

A fine actor and an even finer human being.

RIP Paul Newman.

I don’t usually chime in on stuff like this but in this case I have to. He’s maybe my favorite actor of all time. He was the antithesis of the screwed up, continually divorcing, egocentric Hollywood star. Throughout his long career did you ever hear anyone say a bad thing about him? He seemed to know how to pick his roles, live his life and do the right thing.

Just thinking of “Slapshot” I bust out laughing.

We miss you, Paul. I wish they’d make more like you.

The very definition of a class act.

I just told my mom, who is also 83, the news, and she actually said “Oh, no…” Now from my mom, this is high praise indeed. Sinatra, Johnny Carson… she could not have cared less. This is the first star I’ve ever heard her express regret over.

Crap. Great beginning to the day.

I think I shall go out and rent Butch Cassiday & the Sundance Kid, and possibly Cool Hand Luke. I’m fairly sure Kim’s never seen either, so I can introduce her to them.