Goodbye, Frankie..

I wrote this on Saturday night as my sweet cat of 19 years lay dying quietly on my bed. Early Sunday morning, he slipped away.

Maybe it’s time to write Frankie’s eulogy. Maybe the time is now. Frank is not yet dead, but he is dying. He let me know several hours ago that his time had come. Now he is quiet and peaceful. He is comatose. His breathing is so faint that it can barely be detected. But he still breathes. He will not last the night. He is wrapped up in blankets and resting on my bed. He has not moved other than the faint rise and fall of his breath for hours. I don’t think he hears me anymore. I don’t think that he feels my touch anymore. His body is still lingering, but I think the spirit that is Frank has already moved on. He is not suffering, his death will be quiet, peaceful. He is 19 years old and he has had a very good life. Tomorrow, I will have to dig a hole in the earth next to his buddy Zack’s grave and lay him to rest. I am so very sad.

Frank is the best cat that ever was. He spent his whole life with us, from the time that we brought him home from the shelter when he was just a tiny kitten. He is a white cat with gray splotches, with one blue eye and one green eye. He is incredibly beautiful in body and spirit. My four year old son chose him, but as so often happens, Frank became my cat. Now that four year old boy is a 23 year old soldier and Frank is very old.

I always called Frank ‘Zen Cat’. Nothing ever seemed to disturb his innate tranquility. We had moves, we had disruption, we had tragedy, we had human drama. But Frank accepted everything with perfect equanimity. New pet in the house? Frank was okay with that. New human in the house? Even better, Frank loved people. Moving from here to there? Didn’t matter, Frank was the epitome of enlightenment and living in the moment.

Frank just seemed to know that this life was what you made of it and it was not everything. Now he sleeps. He sleeps deeply, even less disturbed than he was in his prime. His body is almost done here. Where will his spirit be? Where is it now, as his body slips into death?

I love you, Frank and I will miss you very, very much.
Rest now.

I’m going to have a moment of silence now, for Frank, a good cat. I’m very sorry for your loss.

Oh, I am so very sorry. Your words touched me deeply.

Rest well Frankie, you were loved.

Frank sounds like he was a great cat and gave you many years of love and happiness. Rest in peace, Frank, and take care, Lily.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending supporting thoughts your way!

I’m so sorry :frowning: RIP sweet Frankie

What a beautiful remembrance. I’m sorry for your loss.

Maaaaan, Frank was a great cat. What a wonderful life!

We should all be so lucky to have such a wonderful cat. Goodbye, Frankie.

Beautiful eulogy to a beautiful cat. I’m so sorry for your loss. May peace be with you.

I’m so very sorry. I send you my most sincere condolences.
May you all find peace.

Frank sounds like he was a great cat, and a wonderful companion. Having lost a few pets myself, I know what it is like to say goodbye to a creature who was more than just a pet; but was a good friend. I hope you can find peace at this time, and know that you and Frank will be in my thoughts.

Your tribute to Frankie was so touching, I’m in tears. Our zen kittie is 11. She is still healthy, but last night she had a bout of coughing. It scared us both.
I hope we will be lucky enough to have her around another few years.

My heartfelt condolences.

That was beautiful. My condolences on the loss of your old friend.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. This has been much more difficult for me than I had imagined it would be. Frankie was an old cat and has been declining for the last year or two and it broke my heart to see his slow deterioration. I knew his time was coming and I really thought that I was ‘prepared’ for this and that I would be able to let him go with peace and acceptance. Turns out - not so much.

But I’ll get there, it may just take a bit longer than I anticipated. And of course, he will always be in my heart.

Now, if I could only get that cursed song ‘Bright Eyes’ from Watership Down out of my head! :frowning:

Thank you all very much.

I’m so sorry. He sounds like he was a great cat. I’ve lost a few of those myself. :frowning:

RIP, sweet Frank.