Googling "World War 2 flying penis pendant" didn't work

Now that I have gotten your attention-

My mother gave me an old traveling case that contained items of my grandfather’s. Among the prizes were a letter written to my grandmother, several watches, various small pins which have a military feel about them, his dog tags, and what I first thought was an airplane pendant. However, after a closer examination, it is clearly a penis with wings. I have googled all kinds of phrases to try to find what this is exactly, but no dice. Here is the closest picture I could find:

http://2eyeswatching.com/2012/10/page/2/

and to a lesser extent, like this:

So any ideas, dopers? I’m wildly curious about some of the things I’m finding in here.

Well geez I came to post to tell you I had seen something similar at an exibition of Roman artifacts but it looks like you know that already.

Does it look official in anyway?

It doesn’t look “official”… but it looks very much like the Roman artifact thing… It doesn’t look cheaply done… but it is distinctly a penis. Could it be sort of a talisman to ward off STDs or something??? Just kind of funny finding it in my Quaker grandfather’s box of trinkets (which also included a NAZI WEHRMACHT INFANTRY ASSAULT AWARD BADGE; this has been a very interesting evening as far as finding cool stuff).

Here’s hoping more replies come in.

It does look like a Klingon Bird Of Prey.

Definitely not a Klingon bird of prey :slight_smile:

I don’t think there is an explanation as to what it is. It is what it is: a winged phallus, a roman symbol of good luck (and not, apparently, fertility).

That link, by the way, is the origin of the one in the OP.

If the Etsy item is supposed to be a “fly penis,” it is obviously not to scale. A 1.7 cm penis would be bigger than the whole fly.

"In ancient Roman religion and magic, the fascinus or fascinum was the embodiment of the divine phallus. "

Can you take a picture of the actual one you have? That’d help a lot.

Alternately, what material is it made out of, and how big is it? Does it look hand-made, or mass-produced? Does it have a pin mounting, a necklace ring, no mounting at all? Left in the normal color for its material, or painted? That might help level it down some.

Was he stationed in Italy at any point? Reproduction Roman artifacts are sometimes sold as souvenirs.

My students have end of course tests this week, but I will try to take some photos and get them posted.

As Isilder said, it’s a fascinus. Historically, rings and pendants in this image were worn as protective charms or good luck charms. I recall reading that the *fascinus *was also the emblem of the city of Pompeii (much good it did them).

have a close look at the insigna on these Italian WW2 bombers

Some traditions just, er, hang in there for centuries.

And it continues even today. (Potentially NSFW)

My grandfather came back with one. He never showed it to us, but we found it in his box of mementos and army documents. I’d post a picture, but my mom has it now. I’ll consult the photo album later to see if it says just where Zeide was deployed.

As a teen, I found a small box of these, about 20 of them.

They were in a clear, plastic, hinged box like you would find straight pins in at the store.
My sister told me that they were a flying fuck. I have no idea what happened to them, but they were clearly mass produced at that time, circa 1976.

The probably went well with those rolling doughnut pendants.

Clearly, it’s to remind pilots that they are dicks.

My brothers and I found one of these among my dad’s things after he died–he was in the Navy during the Korean War and spent time in the Mediterranean, so I’m assuming he picked this up as a souvenir during a visit to Italy. I’m glad to find some explanation of what it was–It certainly surprised us when we found it!

I did take a photo of it, but I don’t see a way to post photos here. It was made of brass, with an eyelet for stringing it on a chain, and was about 1" long.

You can post a picture by uploading it to imgur.com and posting a link here.

And FYI: Welcome to the SDMB :slight_smile: This thread is more than a year old, just so you know. You can still post in it, but some of those posters may not come back to revisit it.