Got August Gripes?

Well happy birthday! I bet you’re old now - like 25 or something! :smiley:

Ugh, my birthday’s coming up in a little over a month, and I’ll be reminded once again that I’m getting older and haven’t accomplished as much in life at my age as most people have.

I guess it depends on how one measures success, though.

Well, I ought to get back to work. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t worry, it just gets worse when number 53 is headed your way. Added bonus when you think of your offspring, and remember they only find the bodies in * shallow* graves…

I got into a Twitter beef with a Glenn Beck listener last night; topic was not important but in it she called me a liar and mocked my wife’s job. She ends it with a Holier-than-Thou “I’ll pray for in church tomorrow morning.”

Uh, no. Trust me I don’t need a sanctimonious twat like you speaking to God on my behalf. And stop assuming just because my opinion differs from yours, I need God’s help. Pray for the homeless. Pray for the sick. Pray for the poor. I’m perfectly fine, thank you very much.

Anti-vaxers have reported my fucking Facebook account as fake so now I have to prove I am who I say I am. Fuck you, Zuckerburg, you little shit. You allow your site to be overrun by bigots and anti science morons and then you turn around and make people like myself go through stupid hoops.

Thanks! I’m starting to get up there, so yeah, something like my 16th 29th birthday. snort :smiley:

I’m amused at the idea of a plant being banished into solitary confinement. Maybe you can make it a little dunce cap, too?

It never fails to amaze me what cats can decide they’re too good for.

I skimmed the first part as “Twinkie beef” and now I don’t know what to do with that.

Let’s all gear up for another Monday morning. Who’s with me?

guys…?

This may require its own thread, but Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.

Tell me again how Christians are persecuted in the US.

Goddamnitsomuch.

I fucking hurt. Enough to have printed of the FMLA forms to give to my doctor when I see him in 2 weeks because I’ve eaten all but a couple of PTO days for the rest of the year and I would have called in if I’d had more.

I’d like the TV news to just leave the weather off until it actually changes. There’s nothing more irritating than hearing some knucklehead going on about the “cold front” coming that wasn’t projected to drop our high temperatures more than 5 degrees (from 101 to 96), and ended up doing it by about 3 degrees.

And everyone knows that the weather isn’t going to significantly change until about mid-September; it may go from highs around 100 to highs around 95, but it won’t rain until mid-September, and that’s about the point when it quits being hideously hot as well.

I love Oscar Meyer Brausweiger…been eating it on sandwiches since i was young, over 55 years and counting…it made me the man I am today (which is bald and 60 lbs’ overweight, but nevermind…).

And now it has disappeared from all the grocery shelves in my area. Kroger was the last store to carry it, and it looks like it has disappeared from there. Looks like I may have to either start eating ham sandwiches or try and switch to a different maker of braunsweiger…which I have tried before with a notable lack of success.

Ah, Oscar, Oscar, why has thou forsaken me?

I had (what I thought was) a fantastic job interview a few weeks ago. I met with three different people over three hours. I asked questions that were relevant to the position, told stories that highlighted my experience and how it would translate to this job, wore my nice interview suit and followed up with thank you e-mails the second I got home. The woman who would be my boss said I “should be encouraged” and said they’d get back to me the following week. This is a new position and the process from application to phone interview to marathon interview session took less than a week.

Since then, nothing. I’ve called and left messages with Would-Be Boss and HR. Nothing.

I’m very discouraged. I’ve been trying to find a new job (this one has no growth potential) ever since I got my MBA and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

The scary thing is, this disappointment is really getting to me. I don’t want to feel like I did a couple of Fridays ago, when I drove to the gym for my early morning fitness class and physically could not get out of the car, I was so down and upset.

Is it too much to ask that HR respond to applicants in a timely manner? I’d like the opportunity to let them know I’m still interested in working with this company and maybe get some feedback on what I could have done better.

I completely sympathize. When I was interviewing, I endured the same lack of timely responses. The trick is to remember that, while this may be the most important thing to you, for HR, it’s just another day at the office, so it may not get the attention that you feel it should.

Also, if it is a new position, there might be more red tape than they initially thought. I was hiring a contract worker, and what should have taken 1 hour, tops, became a week+ long process, where paperwork had to be submitted, forms had to be approved, etc. If I had my way, she would’ve started work an hour after our conversation.

To my credit, I tried to keep the contract worker in the loop as much as possible, because I could tell that the delay was worrying her. No amount of reassuring could fully placate her, because she didn’t understand why things were taking so long. I tried to explain the bureaucracy involved and why all the steps were necessary, but I couldn’t get it through to her.

Apparently it’s too much to ask that HR respond to the internal group doing the hiring about getting applicants in a timely manner.

We’re looking to replace someone in our department now, and apparently pushing the detailed job description out to headhunters was exhausting for HR, 'cause they couldn’t manage to weed out any of the obviously unqualified responses. Just forwarded on the pile of resumes*. And now that we’ve identified a few we’re interested in, it’s pulling teeth again to get interviews scheduled.

There may have to be Words. Until new guy/gal is hired and trained (by me), I’m doing my work and all the work of the empty position. Which is much more than 2 people’s worth.

• No gems this time, like the guy who listed his experience as a Disney cruise castmember as relevant experience for our petroleum additives chemistry/engineering quality position.

Was it “Dopey”?

Customer was mad at us for doing what we said we would do. I think it’s a Monday thing, though.

Co-worker (50 yrs old) came back to work this morning. Her and her hubby’s car broke down. They spent ten hours trying to get AAA or the cops to help. Now, I understand that cars breakdown but if you can’t figure out to extricate yourself from that situation in less than ten hours you should turn in your Competent Adult card. Seriously I’d be so ashamed of this story I would never tell anyone, but nooooo, she’s telling this story to everyone who could possibly listen. Hell, within 90 minutes of cooling my heels, I’d be starting a fire in the middle of the road trying to attract attention.

Apparently they called AAA numerous times (they couldn’t find them) and police passed them 4 times. I recall the horrible Erectile Dysfunction commercial “Once you get to that age that you can handle anything…”. Well these morons apparently can’t. Thank Gawd they never procreated together.

My favorite instance of that was getting called “about the posted job”, asking “which one?”, the HRtron getting offended that I had to ask, and it was a job that had been posted 7 months before.

OK, so either they were the slowest shots this side of a corpse, or they’d already hired someone, the someone hadn’t worked out, and they were expecting the people who’d answered the posting to be waiting with bated breath? For more than half a year? That wouldn’t’a been healthy yanow!

I was already working someplace else but damn that was amazingly self-centered.

The husband was looking for a job in 2008, and put his resume in places online (I don’t know where because I’m not an engineer). He got a job that year, and has been in that job since then - and we still get calls! It seems to me that where ever his resume is, it would show it was posted and not updated since 2008 …

Dear work peeps. I just order the meds. I don’t pill cats with the meds, I don’t open the bottles and look at the pills. I buy whatever’s got the lowest pricing at the time, which can be several different manufacturers from the same distributor. We get donated stuff that’s both manufactured and compounded that I never see. When you leave me a note that says, “can we get the smaller denosyl pills?” I have no idea what you’re talking about.