Gota Riddle?

I’ve always enjoyed this one. My students usually fight over the correct answer.

Three men go to rent a room. The room is $30. Each man pays with a ten dollar bill.
An hour later, the inn-keeper realizes he has over charged by $5. He gives the bell hop five one dollar bills and sends him up to give back the money.

The bell hop figures a tip is in order so he puts two of the dollars in his shirt pocket and gives each of the men a dollar each.

So…each man paid nine dollars (they each got one back). Three times nine is 27. The bell hop has two bills in his shirt. That’s 29. Where’s the 30th dollar?

(The answer is rather easy, but rough to explain)

Trick question, Joe Burns.

Answer: you’re counting the bellhop’s money twice, and the money in the men’s pockets not at all. The bellhop’s $2 is part of the $27 that the three men paid. So there’s not one dollar missing, there’s 3. And where are those $3? In the men’s pockets.

Chaim Mattis Keller

Riddle 1
Be you ever so quick with your vision keen.
By your eyes we are never seen.
Unless perchance it should come to pass.
You see our reflection in a looking glass.

Riddle me this Wonderboy!

moriah, “Hey, just bear with me and quizical Mac.” I think your hint was too obvious.

What hass it gots in itss pocketss?

Tom~

So what’s the answer to “How tall is an Indian?”

I don’t know who first said “everyone’s a critic,” but I think it’s a really stupid saying.

Hoe-- your eyes.
Here’s one:

Motherless and fatherless
Born without a skin,
Spoke when it came into the world
And was never heard again.

I don’t know who first said “everyone’s a critic,” but I think it’s a really stupid saying.

Come to think of it, Hoe, it could be your teeth, your ears, or warts/pimples on your back, or some people’s feet.

jayron 32 posted:

The article is technically an adjective.
Pete posted

A burp. {Hey, I’m not going for the other end – too crude.)

Peace.

pete, you can pull your teeth out, cut off your ear and wart and see them. But not your eyes.

Well, you can cut one eye out and look at it with your good eye. But you did say “them” not it.

Huh? I’ve never heard anyone describe proper use of an article as being “technically an adjective.”

How Tall is an Indian is missing a comma.
There is no question.

What’s the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose, some say your toes,
But I think it’s your Mind - Frank Zappa

“Where do you eat toaster waffles at the beach?”

San Diego.

Pretty bad, huh? :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

Oldie but a goodie. Given 12 identical looking coins. One coin is counterfeit. The eleven authentic coins weigh exactly the same. The counterfeit coin weighs either more or less than than the other eleven coins. With only three weighings, can you determine which coin is counterfeit, and if it weighs more or less than the authentic coins?

Clue: Here’s a little help… I was in a bar working on this puzzle with a friend one night, when the waitress wanted to help solve the puzzle, so she asked: “What denomination are the coins?”. Your clue for the day is - IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT DENOMINATION THE COINS ARE! I was so disappointed to find that the rumors about girls from the Jersey Shore were true. Nice looking, but oh so dumb.

Enright3

Weigh 3 groups of 4 coins.

Here’s one:

How do you cut a pizza into 8 slices with 3 straight cuts?

I don’t see how Pete’s answer satisfies the coin riddle. The only thing that weighing three groups of four would do is tell you in which quartet the counterfeit coin is to be found. It doesn’t, however, identify which of the four is the fake.

Enright3: I need a little clarification on your riddle: are we to weigh the coins using a scale, or with an old-fashioned balance? If it is a balance, I can find the culprit coin in three weighings – but only if I know from the start whether the bogus coin I’m looking for is heavier or lighter than the rest! Damn!

Let me know by which method the coins are supposed to be weighed, and I’ll keep working on it.

~ Complacency is far more dangerous than outrage ~

Tis a chest
Without key or lid
Yet golden treasure
Inside is hid

What do I have in my pocket?

Hows this:

Quarter it (two perpendicular cuts intersecting the center)

stack the four slice on top of each other and
cut them all at once.

Alternatively, line up the four slices and cut all of them with a single cut.

You can also play folding games.