Gota Riddle?

Pete Said:

Cut the pizza in half. Lay one half on top of the other and cut that in half. Lay the three pizza quarters on top of the fourth pizza quarter and cut the stack in half.

You can also lay the pizza slices out in a row instead of stacking them if you don’t want to lose melted cheese + toppings on the bottom of the slice above.

JMSaSU:

An egg. (You have one in your pocket? Be careful!)

Chaim Mattis Keller

JMSaSU said:
Tis a chest
Without key or lid
Yet golden treasure
Inside is hid

Its an egg. Or your nose.
I’m hoping its #1.

And please DON’T provide the answer for the second riddle to us.

Beaten twice for the answer. I really need to learn how to touch-type.

Hmmmm, been reading some Tolkien recently, JMSaSU? I’ll take a pass on giving the answer since I already know it – it’s much more fun to leave it to someone to figure out.

(Although the first time I stumbled across the chest riddle, I’m happy to say that I got the answer without reading ahead. Yeah for me!)
It thrives in the winter, dies in the summer, and grows with its roots pointing up.

And, a word puzzle, as requested in the OP, though I don’t know if it’s fairly new, or older than dirt:
Name an English word with two vowels, followed by two consonents, followed by two vowels.

~ Complacency is far more dangerous than outrage ~

STARK: outsee

Outsee, Sweet? Hmmm … my dictionary certianly doesn’t list that as a word, although I salute your effort.

BTW, I feel I should point out that the vowel-consonant-vowel combo I’m thinking of isn’t a word in itself, but rather part of a larger word.

Bookkeeper

“Owls will deafen us with their incessant hooting!” W. Smithers

STARK: my dictionary lists it.

How about “earliest”?

Outhouse?

It is an egg and it is from “The Hobbit”
So was the second one. I just threw that in for a hint to the first.
Other than that I hate riddles.

Reply to Enright3 Riddle:
Oldie but a goodie. Given 12 identical looking coins. One coin is counterfeit. The eleven authentic coins weigh exactly the same. The counterfeit coin weighs either more or less than than the other eleven coins. With only three weighings, can you determine which coin is counterfeit, and if it weighs more or less than the authentic coins?
Reply:One clarification must be made. The scale must be a balance, and not the type that gives you a number for what is set in it.

1. Divide coins into three piles of four. Put one pile on each side of the balance.
    Result: a. One side is lighter and has the counterfeit coin.
    b. Each weighs the same and pile on table has the counterfeit coin.
  2. Clear the balance. Put two coins from the conterfeiet pile on each side of the balance.
    Result: One pile is lighter and has the counterfeit coin.
  3. Clear the balance. Put one coin from the counterfeit pile on each side.
    Result: The light side is the counterfeit coin.

The puzzle can be done differently, but requires the coins being divided into three piles at one time. The rest of the times are dividing in half.

Reply to STARK riddle:
It thrives in the winter, dies in the summer, and grows with its roots pointing up.

Would you be thinking of an icesickle?
Hore frost if not above answer?

Sorry folks. Yes I was talking about a balance scale.

Phobia, your method won’t work. The counterfeit coin can be either heavier OR lighter than the rest. Therefore if you weighed 4 coins against 4 coins, and they were NOT equal, then you’ve only determined that ONE of those eight coins is the counterfeit one.

enright3

Let me rephrase. Phobia, your way is not necessarily wrong, but you cannot assume that the lighter weighing on a balance scale narrows your search down to four coins, either.

Enright3

Mangeorge - groan!

This is another oldie - oh well.

What goes in hard and dry and comes out soft and sticky?

(Get your mind out of the gutter!)

Well folks, I hope I re-figured the coins puzzle correctly.

I have flashbacks of taking Finite Math @ University of Tulsa, where the professor didn’t believe in working his examples out ahead of time. He would fill four chalkboards up with one problem, only to realize he’d made a mistake on back on chalkboard one! You could hear the groans clear across campus (and notes being ripped to pieces) as he erased with the heel of his hand and rewrote pieces of the math problem like nothing was wrong. Anyway here’s my solution. I’m sure you guys won’t hesitate to correct me if I’ve made a mistake.

First weighing:
coins 1,2,3,4 ~ 5,6,7,8
Scenerio One
1,2,3,4 = 5,6,7,8 means counterfeit coin is in group 9,10,11,12
You also know that coins 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 are good coins, and can be used as a control for further testing. (for reference, “good” coins will be denoted as "") Weigh 9, ~ 11,12
Scenerio One.One
9,$ = 10,11 means counterfeit coin is 12.
weigh 12 against a good coin to determine if it’s heavy or light.

Scenerio One.Two
9,$ < 10,11 means either 9 is light OR 10 or 11 is heavy
weigh 10 ~ 11, if equal then 9 is light, otherwise heavy side is the fake coin.

Scenerio One.Three
9,$ > 10,11 means either 9 is heavy OR 10 or 11 is light.
weigh 10 ~ 11, if equal, then 9 is heavy, otherwise light side is the fake coin

Scenerio Two (Here’s where it gets good!)
1,2,3,4 < 5,6,7,8 means 1,2,3,4 has a light coin, or 5,6,7,8 has a heavy coin.
You also know that 9,10,11,12 are good coins.
weigh 1,2,5 ~ 3,4, Scenerio Two.One 1,2,5 = 3,4, means 6,7, or 8 is heavy
weigh 6 ~ 7

Scenerio Two.Two
1,2,5 &lt; 3,4,$ means  1 or 2 is light
weigh 1 ~ 2

Scenerio Two.Three
1,2,5 &gt; 3,4,$ means 5 heavy OR 3 or 4 is light
weigh 3 ~ 4

Scenerio Three
1,2,3,4 > 5,6,7,8 means 1,2,3,4 has a heavy coin or 5,6,7,8 has a light coin
you also know that 9,10,11,12 are good coins
weigh 1,2,5 ~ 3,4, Scenerio Three.One 1,2,5 = 3,4, means 6,7or 8 is heavy
weigh 6 ~ 7

Scenerio Three.Two
1,2,5 &lt; 3,4,$ means 3 or 4 heavy
weigh 3 ~ 4

Scenerio Three.Three
1,2,5 &gt; 3,4,$ means 1 or 2 is heavy, OR 5 is light
weigh 1 ~ 2

Enright3

zyada how about Bubble gum, a lollipop,or any other type of candy

It’s easer to get forgiveness than to get permission.

Enright3: That’s a helluva riddle ya got there! I’m still trying to go through all the possibilities to make sure I understand it.

Sweet: Well, if your wordbook lists “outsee”, who am I to argue? No quibble with earliest, though I never had thought of it.

Mojo: Looks like you got me with outhouse, as well.

Frankd6: You got the word I was looking for. I heard this one a while ago and never gave much consideration to words other than bookkeeper that would satisfy it.

Perhaps to make it a little harder, I should ask for a series of two duplicate vowels, two duplicate consonants, and two duplicate vowels. Given these constraints, are there any other words that would satisfy the question? (Other than derivations such as bookkeeping.)
Here’s one of my own (as far as I know). I hope I haven’t made it too easy:

Great kings and beggars, and those in between
claim me as their own, yet I’m made of nothing.
I thrive in the day, and lurk in the night;
the meek and the timid may start at my sight.

What am I?

Oh, yeah, and Phobia: You’re right about an icicle.

I once made the mistake of telling this riddle to a visiting Aussie. It really bombed. Not only are their seasons bass-ackwards from ours, but even in their cold months, it never got chilly enough to form icicles. I eventually had to tell him the answer and then explain what the heck the answer was!