Graeme Edge (Co-Founder Moody Blues) Dead at 80

Link.

Breaking story.

Drummer. Poet.

They (Hayward and Lodge) still have tour dates set for next year.

Founding members Laine (age 77) and Pinder (79) are still with us. They haven’t been part of the group for decades.

My first concert was the Moody Blues in 1971. I’ve seen them several times since, including the show documented in the “Lovely To See You” DVD. Always a great time. Graeme’s “Higher and Higher” dance was a highlight of the live gigs for me.

Vast vision must improve our sight
Perhaps at last we’ll see an end to our home’s endless blight
And the beginning of the free
Climb to tranquility, finding its real worth
Conceiving the heavens, flourishing on Earth

I don’t think any other band used his type of poetry/spoken interlude (voiced by Mike Pinder) as successfully and as such an integral part of their albums. Thanks for the memories Graeme.

My brother is a huge Moodies fan, which is kinda weird because he’s only 43. So I spent my teenage years listening to the typical 90s teenage stuff…and The Moody Blues. I’ve seen them in concert more than most other bands. We also spent a lot of time watching and re-watching Legend Of A Band : The Story of the Moody Blues.

Edge definitely seemed to be the most delightful, playful and cheeky member. He will be missed!

“Cold hearted orb that rules the night. . .”

I remember when Days of Future Passed was released in 1967. It was a blockbuster album and unique in that it was a rock band paired with an orchestra (at least in the “Nights in White Satin” cut) and had spoken poetry. I ended up buying their subsequent albums, as well.

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey is yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion

I love those words every bit as much as the music.

We saw them perform in the 90s with the Virginia Symphony. Great show.

the wonder of flowers, to be covered
and then to burst up
Thru tarmac, to the sun again
Or to fly to the sun without burning a wing
To lie in the meadow and hear the grass sing
To have all these things in our memories hoard
And to use them
To help us
To find…
God…

I played This Is The Moody Blues a lot during my college years in the '80s, which also overlapped with their 1980s resurgence. Still one of my favorite bands. Rest in peace, Graeme.

I saw them in AC two maybe three times. Always a great show.

RIP.

My dad went through a Moody Blues phase when I was in my teens in the mid 90s and I had a much higher than average exposure to them, too. Pretty cringey at the time, pulling over to pick me up with their synth strings section blaring.