Great restaurant muck-ups

A bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich has bacon…lettuce…and…tomato in it, do not ask me if I want lettuce and tomato with it, if I wanted a bacon sandwich I would have ordered a bacon sandwich.

Excuse me, I ordered tea. Not iced tea. It will never steep in water this cold.

I said “scrambled”, not “raw”, thanks.

Do you have orange juice in any size larger than a shot glass?

How can you call instant rice “rice”?

If a person wants a samosa with meat in it, send them to an afgani restraunt, they have a dish that is the same thing, except it is lamb and yogurt inside as well.

I’ve eaten there every thursday the past six months…you’d think they’d learn I dislike raw tomatoes by now… :confused:

Fair enough, but call it Chicken Sheboygan or Chicken Kenosha or something else, please.

Curry should not glow. My bad for eating an (Indian-style) curry someplace other than an ethnic restaurant, but please… Just how much turmeric is in this stuff, anyway? Plus what Duke said.

Grapes in a chicken salad are okay, I think. I don’t think there’s such a thing as a canonical chicken salad. However, mayonaisse on a cornbeef sandwich is a capital offense in certain parts of the world.

Margarine is not butter. And to quote from Kitchen Confidential “I Can’t Believe it’s not Butter? I can.” Why people eat margarine shall forever remain one of the great mysteries in my life.

Giving it a French name does not make it taste better.

A hamburger is not an open-faced sandwich. Yes, this has happened to me. Several times. Maybe McDonald’s influence isn’t as strong as we’d have thought.

A true Laksa does not, and shall never, contain tomatoes. Bleh.
[hijack]

When I opened this thread, I thought it was about being served the wrong dish in restaurants. At lunch today, a friend at my table was brought a steaming plate of Hainan Chicken.

“But I ordered Honey Chicken!”

It was cuter when she said it with her slight Chinese accent.

[/hijack]

I remember a place that had minestrone soup on the menu. When it arrived, it had little alphabet letters floating in it. That was kind of amusing, but the price wasn’t–and the manager was asked why “homemade minestrone for $4” was really a can of Campbell’s alphabet soup that retailed for less than a dollar. He had no adequate answer.

This one may be more for the “English as she is goodly spoken” category, but I was also in a Chinese restaurant that posted a sign that was supposed to tell you what dish the chef recommends today. Unfortunately, it was headed “Today’s chef recommends.” We wondered if they had a series of chefs, each of whom worked only one day.

Gravy is not vegetarian. I went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner and after much work, convinced the waitress that yes, I really did want a vegetarian platter. Of course, the mashed potatoes came drenched in gravy, and I had to work to convince her that gravy was an animal-based product.

And yet we are the iced COFFEE capital of the world (according to a billboard for Dunkin’ Donuts, not just me) and it’s not uncommon to see people with iced coffee in 20 degree weather.

Also, it’s often HOT here in October.

This is a recent phenomenon. Not too long ago I would be unable to get an iced coffee at D[sup]2[/sup] in the winter. I would try dag-nummit, but they would always tell me it was off-season. Now I can get it year-round.

There are just certain things that one should never ever put mayonaise on. The top items on my list are corned beef, pastrami and genoa salami.

Pet Peev people who do not cook meatballs or italian sausage prior to putting them in tomato sauce. This produces the most disgusting greasy product I have ever encountered !!! This comming from one who was a fat-a- holic just 10 short weeks ago.

BC

Once when I was driving cross country, I got a huge craving for maple syrup. So I drove around downtown in some podunk town in Idaho until I found one that advertised “pancakes and maple syrup” on their menu.

I double-checked with the waitress: “The pancakes, they come with real maple syrup, right?” She nodded, so I ordered them.

It was goddamn caro syrup with flavoring. When she came to check on me, I said, “I thought you told me the pancakes had real maple syrup. But it’s not real.”

She sneered, and told me, “Nobody around here has real maple syrup.”

I hate her.

Daniel