Greatest Christmas Albums

+1

I’m doing my part.

My chorus has put out two Christmas CDs, and we beat the pants off all the others.

(And I designed them both.)

I had no idea she’d retitled herself. That’s certainly an ambitious choice of names.

Oh, and +1 for Vince Guaraldi.

Ugh. Even the misfit toys would throw you off their island…

Now, That’s What I Call Christmas! - some of the greatest Christmas singles in history.

White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
Jingle Bell Rock - Bobby Helms
Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer - Gene Autry
Blue Christmas - The King

and do I even need to mention Santa Claus Is Coming To Town by Bruce Springsteen?

And a very close #2 is A Swingin’ Christmas by Tony Bennett. Bennett is one of the greatest crooners in history, and a personal favorite on this album is the Vince Guaraldi classic “Christmas Time Is Here” from “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”

We always trim the tree with A Charlie Brown Christmas playing.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - YES!

I have a Christmas CD by Brian Setzer Orchestra.

I also like Boney M, Dean Martin, and the Beach Boys.

To me the Carpenters is the only must have Christmas album. That is the first one that was put out.

I also like the first Barbra Streisand Christmas and Crystal Gayle does a good job and the Muppets Christmas album is fun.

Other than that, I just like tracks. Of course you have Brenda Lee’s Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree is a must and the Beach Boys’s, Little St Nick. And there is that song by the Chipmunks and Judy Garland’s Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

That’s what I came in to mention.

I’ll also add a vote for the Charlie Brown one, and add Sufjan Stevens’ Songs For Christmas box set.

Sarah McLachlan’s Wintersong. Hands down.

Did you say Yes?

Jon Anderson, Three Ships

This was THE Christmas album at my house. When I got married I went and found it on cassette for my Christmas, and now have it on CD.

In addition, TSO. well worth a listen. When you listen to Christmas Eve and other stories for the first time, you have to read the liner notes as the music plays.

The Carpenters Christmas album Karen Carpenter had one of the most pure voices ever.

And to mix it up, throw in one of Bob River’s Christmas albums.

Ditto Sufjan Stevens, Squirrel Nut Zippers and John Denver and the Muppets.

Some great (and completely different) songs found on the compilation alubms Maybe This Christmas and Maybe This Christmas Too?, but also some stinkers too. There was a third one, but the ratio of good to bad was even worse.

Reliant K has some decent renditions on their album, Let It Snow Baby…Let It Reindeer.

My kids go nuts for the Chipmunks songs I put on their Christmas mix CD.

But, and I can’t believe I’m admitting this on a public message board, my favorite Christmas album is Once Upon a Christmas, featuring Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers. This is primarily because my mom had this on cassette, and it was in heavy rotation when we’d pile into the car to drive around and look at Christmas lights. Pure nostalgia.

If you like that, you should check out Tis The Season For Los Straitjackets. Twangy surf guitar while wearing Mexican wrestling masks! They’re on their Xmas tour right now. I may have to head up to San Francisco early to catch their show at the Independent!

A Fresh Aire Christmas
Mannheim Steamroller

1. “Hark! The Herald Trumpets Sing”
  2. “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing”
  3. “Veni Veni (O Come, O Come Emmanuel)”
  4. “The Holly and the Ivy”
  5. “Little Drummer Boy”
  6. “Still, Still, Still”
  7. “Lo How A Rose E’er Blooming”
  8. “In Dulci Jubilo”
  9. “Greensleeves”
  10. “Carol of the Bells”
  11. “Traditions of Christmas”
  12. “Cantique De Noel (O Holy Night)”

Yep. This is also my pick. I love seeing Darlene Love on Letterman every year singing “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)”.

gotta go with Bob Dylan - Christmas in the Heart… listening to it right now.

seriously, it’s awesome.

Christmas in Dementia (Dr. Demento)
A Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi)

Brian Setzer.

Failing him. ** The Reverend Horton Heat**.

Failing him

CANNED HEAT!

Love The Bear!:slight_smile:

Quasi

This thread has been terrific. It’s reintroduced me to several albums I’d forgotten about. I sampled some of the Harry Simeone Chorale on Amazon and it brought back a flood of memories. Same thing with Phil Spector’s Christmas gift. I ordered several Christmas cd’s today.

Christmas music encompasses such a huge swing of styles. For me, it’s Bing Crosby. That’s my earliest memory watching my parents trim the tree and opening presents. Songs from the 60’s specials like Frosty, Rudolph, and Charlie Brown came when I was in elementary school. The Carpenter’s Christmas music came out when I was in high school. Music from the following decades reflect a much different style. It’s equally important to the kids that grew up during that time.

No poll could include all the favorites. But, I definitely should have included a Charlie Brown Christmas.

Oh Og, Oh Og, Oh Og

I thought I lost my **Canned Heat ** Christmas cd, but I ran it over some cool water and got it back!

Here’s a cut with The Bear!

Bob Hite!

Happy Holidays!

Der Quas’