Green tea question

Way back when, I used to teach English to a Japanese businessman. He would always offer me one of his many varieties of tea. One of my favorite was made from a green tea powder, which was put into a cup, hot water was added to it, and the two ingredients were whisked together with a minature bamboo whisk–like maybe 2 or 3 inches in length. He called it a “green tea espresso,” as it was a rather concentrated concoction.

What is this stuff I drank called? And is it pretty common so that I could find it at the local Asian markets?

It’s called matcha.

I don’t know how common it is in markets, but here it is at my favorite online tea place: Matcha at TeaSource. It’s spendy, but this is a reputable merchant, so the quality will be high.

That’s the stuff! Looking around online, it seems like $20 for a tin is actually not all that pricey. The high-quality stuff goes for around $40-$50 for a 1.1 oz tin. :eek:

Or you can get an ounce for $5 from Stash.

Ah ha ha. Ah ha ha. Ha.

It is to laugh.

Anyway, TeaSource usually sells tea in foil zipper bags, so the fact that they say it’s in a “tin” makes me think that some of the price is in the container. You might get a better deal elsewhere.

But if you order from TeaSource, I highly recommend that you pick up a couple of ounces of Keemun Hao Ya B. To. Die. For. Deep, rich and chocolatey . . .