Guess the Guitar Riff using Onomatopoeia Hints

Nope, not Won’t Get Fooled Again. Not even close. :slight_smile: Think almost half tempo.

Yeah. My ears were ringing. :smiley:

BAH-na-na-na-Nah-Na

(b’dum-pum-pum-pum)

BAH-na-na-na-Nah-Na

I don’t know if you get it in the US, but it strikes me that this game is essentially the intros round from British TV comedy music panel show Never Mind The Buzzcocks (sic - it was originally going to be called “Never Mind The Bollocks”, after the Sex Pistols album, but it got cunningly censored to reference the name of another band as well). For those who haven’t seen it, it involves two music experts (usually a DJ and a singer) attempting to sing/sound out the intro of a well-known song for the third person (who is usually not a music expert) to guess. Even with the benefit of pitch, miming, and accurate rhythm (none of which is available in this game), they usually struggle to guess the correct song. So it’s actually quite impressive we have one correct guess so far!

Clues for mine:

1. This is a very well-known band and song, actually done in collaboration with another group - I believe it’s one of the first examples of crossing over between two wildly different genres. Song is about 92 bpm.Sorry if that makes it too easy - if not, I’ll provide the band name outright as the final straw.

2. This one is by another popular band (well, mainly popular with teens a few years ago), more recent than 4), about 72bpm (where each beat is one “na-na-na-na”).

3. This is less well-known and is from an Australian band most popular in the 1990s and 2000s (chiefly), not sure if they ever made it in the US so could be tricky. About 120bpm, this bass riff continues incessantly throughout the song.

I’ll try one more that I’ve just thought of:

1. DOO-doo-doo-DOO-doo-doo-DOO-doo-doo-DOO-doo-doo-DOO-doo-doo, DOO-doo-doo-DOO-doo-doo-DOO-doo-deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee; [repeats 3 more times in a different key each time, then starts again, until fade]

^ Your clue for#4 is enough to get it even without the riff!

Ah, sorry - I was afraid that might happen! Think I gave everyone a fair chance to have a go though, and no-one guessed it correctly (or at least if they did, they didn’t post about it). Now that you’ve got it, I hope what I typed out for the riff was at least somewhat recognisable?!

Yes! It’s the exact riff.

Well, I thought this was a good game, but maybe it’s just too difficult. I’m going to go ahead and give the answers to mine:

1. Walk This Way by Aerosmith feat. Run DMC

2. All The Small Things by Blink 182

3. Break Me, Shake Me by Savage Garden

4. Hotel California by The Eagles

I think you described number 4 backwards. Aerosmith wrote and recorded the original. Run DMC covered it with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry joining them. So it was Run DMC featuring two of the guys from Aerosmith.

Try this. classic and very well known. I’ve included spaces to indicate a degree of rhythm and exclamation marks. Who knows if that’ll work.

BA!..BADADA!..BADADA!..badoodadoodoo…
BA!..BADADA!..BADADA!..beboobaboobabobabababba

Back in Black - ACDC

Yay! right first time. That reflects well on both of us.

Hell, I did something like this on another forum a few years ago… let’s see if I can find it:

What songs do the following mathematical notations refer?

1. Ltake = Lmake
2. H 2b^2

Using MEOW Notation, which famous opening guitar riff is this?
3. Mi-meow, mi-meow ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR

Mi-meow, mi-meow ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR, mi-mi-ROWR
4. Also using Meow Notation (classical):

meow, meow, meow-meow-MEOW!
5. Meow Notation TV Theme:

meowmeowmeowmeow, meowmeowmeowmeow, meowmeowmeowmeow, meowmeowmeowmeow…
6. Using di-duh notation:

di-di-di-DUH
di-di-di-DUH
7. Opening guitar rift using MEOW notation:

meow-meow-ROWR
meow-meow-mi-ROWR
meow-meow-ROWR
ROWR-meow
8. Where (L) is a function where (L) exceeds the density of H20, solve for H(L)>29,029ft.

Questions:

What is (L)?
What are the two properties?
Who sang it?
Name that tune!
9. For L~02 (where “~” means “roughly equivalent”)

What is the equivalency of “L”? What is “L”?
10. Where e(Z) ~ x(AM)

Solve for X.
Name that tune!

Got that one also. :slight_smile: