Had That Colposcopy Today....

…and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Can you say “Duh”? Hit the wrong key.

Anyway, my doctor did end up doing a biopsy, which was also relatively painless. I won’t get the results back for another couple of weeks, but the doc seems very certain that I’ve got human papillomavirus infection (HPV). I’ve heard of it, but didn’t really know what it was. Well, now I do. My brain went a little numb when she told me that it’s usually an STD, but I felt a little better when she told me that it’s something that has probably been incubating for several years, and probably decided to show it’s little self due to the fact that I just got done with my fifth pregnancy, and my reproductive system is still a little weakened.

Anyway, I’m going to be having some minor surgery to remove the bad cells, but not until after New Year’s.

Is it weird of me to filled with something like joy at finding that I’ve got an STD, and not cancer? Geez. I swear that’s how I felt.

Thanks for letting me share! :slight_smile:

I’m relieved to hear it, miz Cristi. (I won’t even make any bad jokes about STDs and the Guy Stuff thread-witha wink.) Seriously, now you have a handle on it and can work toward a solution. Whew!

:::remembering to continue good wishes for Cristi:::

Im really glad the news is better than you had originally thought Cristi. Take Care!!

I opened the door, and look who I found. Damn I’m good

Cristi,

Just be sure to do whatever the doctor says.

My neice/daughter (long story) has HPV, she is only 22, 23 in a few days , and they are talking hysterectomy (sp. ? ) .
She has a 3 year old, but it’s rough, because she wanted more kids one day.

Ayesha - Lioness

There are two solutions to every problem : the wrong one, and mine
(Thomas A. Edison)

I did ask my doctor if I would be facing a hysterectomy at some point, and she said maybe, if this is a problem that keeps coming back. I’ll have to have paps every four months for the first year after the surgery, and every six months the second year, then back to one a year. But that’s only if the problem doesn’t come back. If I get consistently abnormal paps, and this virus keeps on rearing it’s head, then it could become cancerous. I did tell my doctor, though, that I am done using my uterus for its intended purpose, and I asked her to please do not hesitate to tell me if a hysterectomy is in my best interests.

My doctor told me something quite fascinating about this particular type of HPV I’ve got, BTW. She said that men can get this type of disease, but they don’t show symptoms. They just carry it, and pass it on to their female partners, and the females are the ones who show the symptoms. Isn’t that just lovely? There are other types of HPV, though, and not all of them are STD’s.

I think I need to do some net-surfing this evening. :slight_smile:

Cristi, glad to hear things are not as bad as they seem.

It reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon:
Dogbert ( HR manager): Your fired.
Wally: What?!
Dogbert: No not really, but now you will look upon your 1% raise and be grateful.

The early bird gets the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese.

That, Shirley, is why I really did miss you while you were gone! Thanks for the laugh! :smiley: