Hair loss...who the heck cares?

Yesterday my husband (who is going quite bald) and a bunch of friends were watching the Mets game. A commercial for a hair loss medicine came on where every place this poor sap looked reminded him that he was going bald. It was a funny commercial, but my husband brought up a damned good point. They make men feel like if they’re losing their hair they are totally unattractive, and if they’re not trying to stop it they should be ashamed of themselves. As he put it, it’s like they’re saying “How can you *ucking live with yoursef?? You’re going bald!!!”
I personally think he’s the sexiest man alive and it has noting to do with hair. Does anyone actually give a crap about mens hair loss? (I’m talking in the sense of dating or marrying someone, finding someone attractive). I hate these ads because they’re doing to men what ads have been doing to women for years- making something beyond your control define you as unattractive or gross.
I guess that’s a half-rant, half question. Ladies (and some men), would you NOT date someone because they were losing their hair?

Some mornings it just doesn’t seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.
Zettecity

Kind of an aside, when i start to go bald (which I probably will) I plan on just shaving it completely and using a rinse to keep it that way… hell why fight it!

“She’s nothin but a little lyin’ ass bitch… I know she says she loves you but you know she don’t care…”

Frankly, I could care less about a man’s hair, or lack thereof. I am more concerned with how human, not hairy, someone is.

I think bald men are incredibly sexy…even a bald spot. Mmmmmmm…I just LOVE rubbing the smooth hairless spot. :slight_smile:

Off to shave my head.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

My Dad went bald at about 40-something…I’m pretty sure I’ll be following him…(shrug)…so what…doesn’t bother me in the least…

Kell–
Is your attraction to baldness limited to the Head?..(wink)

I haven’t lost my mind, I have a tape backup around somewhere.

What really bugs me about hair loss commericials is the way a slightly bald guy looks at the camera and says “My dad went bald, so I guess I will too.” The problem is that hair loss is inherited from your MOTHER’s father and these companies know it. So not only are they blaming men for their appearance (just like they have done to women for years…don’t get me started) but they are deliberately spreading misinformation at the same time!

Forget the lawyers…kill all the advertising execs.

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.

For me, the idea of hair loss is less an appearance thing than an age thing. I may start going bald at some point, and that will be one of the inescapable signs that I’m getting older. There’s this gut feeling that tells me only little old men are bald; therefore, if I were going bald, it would mean that I was an old man. Logically, I know that idea is crap-- my brother has had a bald spot since he was 22-- but the feeling is still there.

Regardless, I don’t think I’d ever bother with Rogaine or any of its relatives. If I ever lose so much hair that I don’t like my appearance, I’ll just shave the remainder off.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

My forehead is getting longer these days, and I don’t care about that.

It’s the additional hair growth that’s irritating. Why purpose did evolution have in mind when it said, “Yeah, hairy ears would be of great help to men over 40?”

I thought that :

1. hair loss was a combination of heredity and ‘manly’ hormones
  2. castration was the only ‘cure’ for baldness

(I know this isn’t very scientific, but comment 1) may be of comfort to some)

I just had deja vu, and I’m sure it’s happened before…

Well, I have at least one woman friend who says she wouldn’t date a bald man.

Baldness does matter. It’s like telling a person that’s unattractive “looks don’t matter.” It’s a nice thing to say, but not true in today’s society.

A recent article in Newsweek showed that cosmetic surgery procedures have increased 153% since 1992.
Newsweek’s figures on cosmetic surgery

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Henri B. Stendhal

Dan writes:

I think that’s true only of certain types of pattern baldness.
I comment on this because there are two radically different hair patterns in my heredity. I inherited my hair from my father’s side, where most of it stays in place, it just loses color (I started going gray at 20, but I’m ahead of my father, who started going gray at 16). My sister also got that hair; she was dyeing hers in her 20’s (I keep saying that I’m not going gray, I’m turning into a platinum blond; however, she fails to see the humor in that statement).
The males on my mother’s side, OTOH, lose their hair pretty early, but it keeps its color into extreme old age; her father died at 81, but what little hair he had left was still almost jet-black. My surviving brother got that hair.

“Kings die, and leave their crowns to their sons. Shmuel HaKatan took all the treasures in the world, and went away.”

Yeah, I pretty much blame Madison Avenue for this one. Anything that can be “cured” must retroactively become a disease. If one day they can cure blue eyes, you’ll have lots of people with pretty blue eyes on TV whining about how they can never change, and then some brown-eyed person will push BlueNoMore ™ eye drops toward them and say, “Now you can change it.” A couple other things they should cure:

Shortness. Who needs it? Remember that song? Short people got no reason to keep being short.

Tallness. Tired of bumping into doorways? Just try our new surgery - allows you to take three inches out of your femur with few side effects! Lower-leg treatments are in development.

Differences between the genders. Women have those unsightly hips that for some weird reason are wider than their waists. This is fat and it is very unnatural. Men have facial hair and that is also unnatural and pretty icky. People should all look like those aliens from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. A cure for sexual dimorphism is needed right away!

Seriously though, I don’t think body odor would bother people much if it weren’t for the invention of deodorant. Just a wild guess though.

Well, the one good thing about going bald is that you don’t have to pay attention to the Head And Shoulders commercials anymore.

Who gives a flying anything about hairA man who has decent table manners and doesn’t interrupt can have as much or as little hair as he wants, as far as I’m concerned.

Catrandom

Whoops – lost a little punctuation there. Sorry!

Catrandom

Well, what I hate are guys who are going bald, but refuse to admit it.

You know them - see them from behind and they have long flowing locks, and from the front, it’s Friar Tuck!

I always maintained if I loose my hair - and I’ll admit, I hope I don’t - it’s all coming off.

Yer pal,
Satan

I, unfortunately for me, have stupid hair. It’s bad enough that I started going grey at 20, that I’ve been noticeably balding since 25 (though I knew since way before then), and that I’m geeky looking with it. But if I keep my hair at a comfortable length, it blows around all wispily and looks ridiculous! And if I cut it very short it sticks up in the air rigidly, resistant to all grooming techniques!

No comb-overs for me - I’m losing it, that’s that. But a little dignity would be nice, Nature… can you do that for me, please? I’d rather be Sean Connery than George Costanza.

“Well, roll me in eggs and flour and bake me for forty minutes!”

The Legend Of PigeonMan

Nah, the baldness boogey-man is mostly Madison Avenue hype. Hey, hair pays! Just walk down the hair-care aisle of any supermarket. An amazing array of expensive “stuff”.
Balding men? Depends on the man. With a great smile, (decent hygiene is assumed) and intelligent eyes…dynamite, pure dynamite.
Men, please reconsider the “shave it all” option. Natural usually looks better, and to be blunt, some skulls are more attractively shaped than others. Just 'cause you don’t have it all doesn’t mean what you do have left isn’t devestating. Men w/ receding hairlines, leaving a widow’s peak effect—zowie!
Veb

I used to think that I’d never fall for a bald man. Now I’ve grown up and reached the stage of my life where that doesn’t matter.

Suppose I fall in love with someone with a full head of hair and we get married. If I was truly in love it won’t matter in a few years if he gets bald.

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!