Happiness is...

different things to different people.

for reasons I’d rather not get into right now, I’m looking for information on this incredibly annoying song of the mid-'60s:

author/composer
recording artist
year of release
lyrics

Thank you for your indulgence.

WAG: I think it was based off of the Peanuts comic strip.

There were a series of books with the characters stating their “Happiness…” phrases; “happiness is… a warm puppy”, etc.

Then in one of their TV specials, the Happiness song was sung.

And, of course, if you listen to Mr. Lennon and his three friends, happiness is a warm gun…

Jeremy…

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine - Kurt Vonnegut

Yes, and it was also co-opted by Kent cigarettes:

"…To a smoker, it’s the taste of Kent.

Happiness is…the taste of Kent
Smooth taste, fine tobacco
That’s what happiness is."

(And the ability to remember TV commercials for cigarettes is a sure sign of middle age.)

But I’m seeking info on the original. C’mon Teeming Millions… don’t let me down!

Give CDNOW a shot. Maybe one of those will ring a bell.

The song is from the stage musical, “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown”.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

If it’s the song “Happiness” from “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” that you’re looking for, it was written by Clark Gesner, copyright 1965. And since posting the lyrics would violate said copyright, I’m not going to do it. :slight_smile:

Thank you. Yer a good Scout.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those are two different songs. I don’t know who wrote the one that was used in the Kent commercial, but it’s not the same as the one from “Charlie Brown.”

And I can remember cigarette commercials. Ouch.

There’s a sample here if you want to hear it:

CDNOW

My extensive research reveals that it was written by Evans/Parnes, whatever that is.