Happy and funny songs

OK, we’ve done scary songs and sad songs and swoony songs. So what songs make you happy? What songs make you laugh?

Happy songs:

“Good Day Sunshine,” the most delightfully, inanely cheery record I can think of.
Joni Mitchell’s “Chelsea Morning”
“Little Bitty Pretty One”
The Kinks’ “Wonderboy” (“Day is as bright as your brightest dream/Night is as dark as you feel it ought to be”)
Steeleye Span’s “All Around My Hat”

Funny songs:
Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London” may be the funniest record ever to get mainstream airplay.
Queen’s “Somebody to Love,” which, despite its basically sad theme, is totally charming and funny.

Catrandom

a whole hell of a lot of TMBG (They Might Be Giants, for you poor uninitiated souls) songs fit the bill. the one running 'round my head right now is “Why Does the Sun Shine?”

-ellis

For funny, no one has ever topped the Bonzo Dog Band (except maybe Spike Jones). Think of a musical Monty Python (several of their songs were written by ex-Bonzo Neil Innes.)

Some Bonzo songs:

My Pink Half of the Drainpipe
Ali Baba’s Camel
Monster Mash (the definitive version)
Jazz, Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold
Look Out There’s a Monster Coming
Humanoid Boogie
Beautiful Zelda
I’m the Urban Spaceman
Tent

They recorded five albums:
Gorilla (“Dedicated to Kong who must have been a great bloke”)
The Donut in Granny’s Greenhouse (U.S. Title: Urban Spaceman)
Tadpoles
Keynsham
Let’s Make up and Be Friendly (a reunion album)

There have probably been at least ten compilation albums, too.

You can listen to their album “The Donut in Granny’s Greenhouse” in RealAudio via this link: http://www.rnsd.com/donut.ram

And the Bonzo Web page: http://www.cam.anglia.ac.uk/~systimk/music/bonzos/Index.Html

Funny song

Monkees- Im Gonna buy me a dog

Happy song-

I have no idea what it is called but I bet you guys do.
I am just a youngster, but I like it.
It goes:

Goodmorning starshine, the world says Hello. Something like that. That song makes me happy.

“Ain’t Got No Home” by Clarence ‘Frogman’ Henry is relentlessly cheerful and just thinking about it makes me happy. Oo-oo-oo-OO-oo-oo-oo-OO-oooo …

Oh oh! I love that song! I am not sure that it’s happy, tho–

I ain’t got no mother.
I ain’t got no brother.
I ain’t got no sister.
I ain’t got no daughter.
I’m a lonely boy.
I ain’t got no home.
Ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-Ho-ome!
Ho-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-Ho-ome!
I’m a lonely boy.
I ain’t got a home. :frowning:
I will agree that Werewolves of London is a funny song. It is also my favorite song of all time. Warren Zevon has a lot of songs that are funny and happy and twisted and sick and sad, all at the same time. I guess that’s why we like him.

brittainy: at the risk of inflicting a Doh! moment upon you, the song is called :: ahem :: “Good Morning Starshine”.

happy-makers? i nominate:

“Lookin’ Out My Back Door” by CCR (Creedance Clearwater Revival, for those scratching their heads)

“Morning” from Peer Gynt Suite by Edvard Greig (so it doesn’t have words–if you can’t see the pictures it makes anyway, you have no imagination)

and for pure mindlessness-- “Tubthumping” by the group whose name i never bothered to learn.

as for funny, just look for anything that Dr. Demento has his name associated with. :smiley:

Damn near anything by Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention, but especially, Billy the Mountain from Just Another Band From L.A.

Happy songs:

Bright Sunshiny Day (4 Seasons?)
What A Feeling (Flashdance, Irene Cara)

Lachesis: “Tubthumping” is by Chumbawumba.

When I need a pick-me-up I listen to Jimmy Buffett sing “Cheeseburger in Paradise”–

I like mine with lettuce & tomato
Heinz 57 & french fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer
Good God almighty which way do I steer!

LIkewise his “Gypsies in the Palace.”

Wow! Someone else who appreciates Jimmy Buffett. I thought his song called Volcano was amusing as well.

For some DVous reason, a little ditty by Derek and Clive (alias Peter Cook and Dudley Moore) springs to mind:

• Oh dear little Flo
    I love you so
    Especially in your nightie.
    When the moonlight flits
    Across your tits
    Oh Jesus Christ Almighty!

“The Colonel Bogey March” (the whistled song from Bridge Over the River Kwai)

“Hang On, Sloopy” - okay, when you’re born and raised as a child of Ohio State alumni, you learn to revere this one

“The Ascension - Paradiso” by Robert W. Smith

“Birdhouse in Your Soul” by TMBG

“Only Wanna Be With You” - Hootie and the Blowfish

…and finally, “Yellow Snow” by Frank Zappa. My percussion ensemble in high school was named after this song, so lotsa happy memories from that.

Classics I sing to myself when I’m feeling blue:

“Sweeping the Clouds Away”
“Painting the Clouds with Sunshine”
“Look for the Silver Lining”

Snappy ragtime numbers like “Everything is Hunky-Dory Down in Honky-Tonky Town,” “Oh! Oh! Mother, I’m Wild!” “I Don’t Care,” and almost anything by Geo. M. Cohan.

And of course I’m a sucker for Irving Berlin’s “Cohen Owes Me Ninety-Seven Dollars. . .”

“Lake Shore Drive” always picks me up.

The obvious happy song: “Don’t Worry Be Happy”
Also “I Can See Clearly Now”

War’s “Why Can’t We Be Friends” makes me chuckle

Oh, lovely stuff! As soon as I got offline, I thought of Simon & Garfunkel’s “Feelin’ Groovy,” a song that always makes me smile :slight_smile:

Catrandom

OK, at the risk of letting you all know my complete nerdiness, the best happy song is…

“Sugar, Sugar” by the Archies.

That song makes me so happy. I know, I know, I’ll leave now.

Biggirl’s got it right: “I Can See Clearly Now”.
I’ve been in second gear too long, (“Theme from Friends” was my second choice) so it always seems written just for me.

Oh, yeah, and this song by UncleBeer (sorry, I’ve forgotten the real name):

B-I-N-G-O
B-I-N-G-O
and bingo was his name-o.

I never thought of Bohemian Rhapsody as a “happy song” until I saw Wayne’s World. During a rather bleak period at my last job I was on my 45 minute daily commute to work, seething at my boss as usual. The song came on the radio and cheered my sorry ass right up.

I’m already a confessed E.L.O fan so another all time favorite cheer up is the Concerto for a Rainy Day side of Out Of The Blue. The songs are a good build up to Mr. Blue Sky which is every bit as insipidly perky as Katrina and the Wave’s Walking on Sunshine.