Happy rummage sale finds

Out walking the ArmadilloPup earlier, we stopped to poke through a church rummage sale. Ten minutes later and $5 poorer, I am now the proud owner of a copy of Webster’s New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged, in very respectable condition. The thing is probably eight inches thick and weighs approximately thirty pounds :D. And only five bucks!
Anyone else want to share happy finds?

I think my best find would have to be my dining room table. Solid pine…farmhouse style…with 4 chairs…excellent condition. All for $35. I’ve seen similar tables for $150 to $250 without the chairs.

Lucky for me the lady I bought it from was moving cross country and didn’t want to haul it along. :smiley:

Peddling my rummage sale finds on eBay is a sideline for me. Some of my best finds:

[ul]
[li]Early 1970’s Remco Star Trek toy utility belt, near-mint, bought for fifteen cents, sold for $25[/li][li]Old Miranda-A 35mm SLR camera, purchased for $5, sold for $230.[/li][li]Antique wooden phone booth, bought it for $25 at a church benefit tag sale, sold it for $455.[/li][li]String of vintage Christmas bubble lights, bought for 50 cents, sold for $150[/li][/ul]

Of course, a list of my best stuff doesn’t tell you about all the crap I’ve bought that didn’t sell. :smiley:

A few weeks ago, at a garage sale, I noticed a DVD player that hadn’t been put out. They didn’t seem to think it was worth putting out with the salable stuff. So I bought it for $2.50. It seemed to have a “horizontal hold” type problem. Some cleaning and a hard reset, I have a nice working DVD player. The manuf. date on the inside was Dec. 2002. So it was used for barely a year.

Don’t throw out that “broken” electronic/computer stuff. Just sell it to me!

Once, the ancient lady down the street died. She had been a real pack rat in life. As such, I obtained:

• A bedside table with gorgeous design with hideous green paint and brass knobs. Two coats of black paint, some polyurethane, and new knobs later, I have a lovely $5 table.

-Two vintage suitcases in fire-engine red for $10- they were worth it for my red-obsessed self.

-Three high-quality sheet sets for $1 each and several lonely flat sheets that made lovely curtains for another few dollars.

I found a copy of an impossibly rare 78 RPM record: “Good Rockin’ Tonight” by Wynonie Harris. What was special about this record was that it was on a Canadian label - King Maple Leaf - which my encyclopedia of record labels says is so scarce that they couldn’t locate a picture of it to demonstrate.

I paid ten cents for it. It was worth thousands of dollars. It was even in really nice shape, considering it was made in 1948. I took it home, cleaned it carefully and put it on a chair on the wall side of the table to dry. Then my brother came in, sat down and put his feet up on the chair by the wall side of the table. Goodbye, most valuable record I’ve ever seen.

My first thought when I saw the dictionary was “all the words I’ll ever need!”

Sadly, this has proven incorrect. The first thing Mr. Armadillo did by way of exploring this wonderful collection of the English language was look up dirty words. Evidently in 1958 the English language did not include such useful words as fuck, shit, cunnilingus, fellatio, or pussy (as slang for vagina). Who knew? :stuck_out_tongue:

For those of you who are English teachers:

1. a recent edition of Harcourt and Brace for 25 cents

2. a copy of Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style in a “give-away” box

TANDBERG TCD 340 Am CASSETTE DECK 3 HEAD 3 MOTOR in pristine condition cost 35 sold for 225

NINTENDO VIRTUAL BOY bought for 5 sold for 30

EFFINGHAM FIELD BOOTS SIZE 7 Bought for 5 and sold for 82

I bought a dictionary just a few years older than yours. It didn’t have the word ‘television’ in it.

The times, they are a’changin’.

At a barn sale up in Vermont about 20 years ago, I bought:

• a 1920s Royal typewriter. It still works (except for the thingie that advances the ribbon as you type . . .). Looks great sitting on my desk, anyway.

• a bound edition of Harper’s Magazine from 1853. Fascinating!

I have a metal Whitman’s Salmagundi candy box, painted with an Alphonse Mucha print, one of his elaborate art-deco ladies. I paid $2 for it. I never looked it up, but by now it’s probably worth…oh, $1.98. I like it.

My best deal ever:
1 doormat
1 6-foot Christmas tree
1 bookcase
1 3-tiered corner thingy
1 kitchen table
4 chairs
1 end table

Total cost: $80.00 US :smiley:

Gotcha beat…

a set of pots and pans…

bargained down to FREE!! :smiley:

Just now, at a church rummage sail down the street, I picked up a nice painting of a old farm scene, measuring 15"x19" with frame, for 50 cents :cool:

A couple of my most favorite scores have been:

A ** portable record player**, the kind that every teacher used for the past 40 years: cost - $3.00. Works per.fect.ly I am so stoked about it still, after a year, I play records every day.

Souvenier Vacation T-Shirts: Hard Rock Sydney (25Cents), **New Zealand, land of the Long white Cloud. **(.50) By buying these, I have saved at least $20,000 in travel expenses, however, since I do not have Tasmania to complete the tri-fecta I still may have to go. If anyone has a pile of Large vacation shirts that they don’t want, I will gladly accept your charity.

A T-Shirt that I love: ** London, Paris, Rome, Ortonville** where I spend most of my time. A couple other T-Shirts that are decidely retro right now that advertise a pharmacy that I’ve never heard of.

A couple of vinyl albums, one which I just adore entitled simply: Jose Feliciano he is simply hauntingly awesome. and an album I bought just for the title of BONGO! BONGO! BONGO! (Fifty cents a peice) and loads of Swing, square dance and Big Band stuff. I’ll probably be arrested one day for child abuse letting them listen to this kinda music. :slight_smile:

A wonderful ** hand-sewn browns & creams calico quilt ** that looks to be possibly the late 50’s or 60’s. Mint condition. I think it is called a Log Cabin Style, not sure. Looks like it was used very infrequently and cared for lovingly. Made by hand by Elma Reynolds. Found it at a church rummage sale minutes before closing in a lonely box on a far table. No holes or damage and it smelled wonderfully of something like vintage roses when I opened it. $25. * Thank you Elma! *

Self contained fish tank with everything included except water and fish: $7.00

Nearly all of my kids toys and clothes.

I have to say my favorite is a toss up between the record player or the quilt. Everything else is just gravy.

Not quite a rummage sale, but an estate sale: Tucked away in the basement of the house of the man who had died, two heavy, heavy four-drawer legal sized metal file cabinets with only a tiny amount of rust on one, for $20 each. Of course, we had to find a friend with a truck to move them to our house…but after looking at letter-sized much flimsier ones for $75 used, we figured we’d gotten a bargain.

Saddest thing I didn’t buy at an estate sale: From the estate sale for a former ambassador to a South American country, lots of awards, medals, photos, etc. of him with all kinds of dignitaries. Not monetarily valuable but of great sentimental value. I asked the folks running the sale if he didn’t have any family and they said, “No, the family took what they wanted and left the rest for us to sell.” All those things that man was so proud of, just tossed by his family. :frowning:

Set of Dansk teak handled flatware, purchased at a garage sale for $2.00

Sold on Ebay to the Frank Lloyd Wright museum for over $1000.00
I love Ebay
:slight_smile:

That is sad. Your whole life’s work, especially one in an office like that, reduced down to a garage sale.

All you rummage/garage/estate sale freaks oughta take a road trip to the Northwest Chicago suburbs in about two weeks. I’m in the process of cleaning out my in-laws’ house. My mother-in-law is a compulsive shopper, my father-in-law has never thrown ANYTHING away. I have a literal house full of stuff to sell. The’ve moved into a retirement community and aside from 62 pairs of shoes she couldn’t possibly part with, they’ve left almost everything. Anyone need 130 curtain rods?

(PS: My husband and his brother took all the sentimental value stuff, which is as it should be, but I’m up to my eyeballs in books, craft supplies and knick-knacks.)

ON-TOPIC: I bought an old non-working gumball machine at a garage sale for $1.00. Heavy as hell, too. Got it home, took it apart and found about $8 worth of quarters in the bottom! And once I readjusted a too-tight screw, the thing worked perfectly.