Harry Potter (Order of the Phoenix) Question

Now that I got everyone’s attention…

I just finished the latest HP book Order of the Phoenix and it was so-so, but I am not here to review the book. My question has to do with the overall feel of the book during the increasing oppression of Hogwarts. As I read through the book, I was nagged by the feeling that I had read this all before. I am not implying plagiarism, but the feel of it was very familiar. After finishing the book, I now know what it reminds me of… the oppression of Hobbiton at the end of the Lord of the Rings…

Now for my question, am I the only one who felt it that way?

Do you mean at the end of the LOTR sequence, or at the end of one of the books in the sequence? In all honesty, HP-5 reminded more of the depressing state of education legislation inthe US, but that’s another thread…

Well, I am thinking of when Frodo and gang return to Hobbiton, and they encounter a “new world” of orc-talk and rules, complete with the Inquisitorial Squad that reminded me of the Hobbiton sheriffs.

It was an impression I had, and possibly false. I think it was exacerbated by the fact that I wanted the book to end about 200 pages before it did.

OotP didn’t really have much in common with the “Scouring of the Shire” portion of Return of the King, beyond the general theme of oppression. Tolkien presented a fairly straightforward tyranny maintained by force of arms. Rowling’s theme was oppression through bureaucracy. There are some commonalities, of course–e.g. general cruelty, abusive rules, and the smug attitudes of those in power–but I think you’ll find those in any description of an oppressive regime.

Balance I agree that the specifics and many generalities between the stories don’t mesh, it was just a sensation I had as I was reading OotP. I think you are right about finding commonalities of oppressive regimes in most if not all descriptions. I was just curious if I was alone in my perception.

FWIW, I didn’t feel the Hobbiton connection although I can see it, but I did get a vibe like the setting for MASH. Fred + George = Hawkeye.

Yep, me shallow.