Has any Doper done the Lipotrim diet?

One of my friends did it and his success has been spectacular (so much so that I am considering it).

Have any of the Dopers done it/ had close friends do it?

How were they at keeping the weight off?

I never heard of it, but my search came up with this. I wasn’t impressed.

I have to wonder if this is like the bazillion other diet aids in the world - meaning if you eat less and exercise more, you’ll have the same results whether or not you take the pills or the supplements or wear the magnetic turban or whatever other gimmick is involved. Or maybe I’m just cynical.

As I understand it, the idea is to jump you down by a huge amount (my friend lost six stone in three months), and then you have to keep the weight off yourself.

You basically starve yourself, but do so in a way that your body suppresses its hunger.

I think.

Let’s just say that I’m skeptical this will work in any meaningful fashion. Your friend is likely to gain it all back (and then some) with an approach like this.

Sorry, but BLARGH!!!11!1eleventy!! This sounds absolutely nasty. No wonder he lost weight, there is nothing to eat on the damned diet.

Look, make small sensible meals out of real ingredients. You can make veg or chicken soup yourself that tastes good and doesn’t have all the nasty salt and chemicals that commercial foods are loaded up with. Flapjacks in coconut or peanut butter flavor? Really? Note the magic word ‘flavor’ which indicates that there are a lot of nasty chemicals involved other than flour, melted butter or shortening, baking powder, salt, sugar or artificial sweetener and milk. Heck, if you want to avoid the salt and baking powder you can even make sourdough pancakes, or just plain crepes. As to flavored drinks, water with a splash of lemon or lime works just fine.

Nearly a year so far, and while there has been some weight gain, it is nearly all muscle.

My best diet aid is a digital scale. Sounds strange, but it shows weight in increments of .2 lb and the result is that I can see any loss or gain in one day or two. Since I got back from a vacation two weeks ago, I have lost a steady .2 lb nearly every day and that feedback is incredibly helpful in keeping myself honest.

I think your friend has been successful in getting the body he wants because he is working hard at in and made sweeping changes, not because he started out by losing a lot of fat with ‘Lipotrim’.

If you do your research and commit to the hard work and total lifestyle revamping it takes to lose a lot of weight, keep it off long-term, and have a fit muscular body - that’s what you’ll have.

If he’s kept the weight off, good for him. But he would have had success regardless assuming he is eating properly and exercising. The Lipotrim is still bogus science no matter how you look at it. Your friend had success despite it, not because of it.

From when I was a child, I watched my mother try every single diet that came down the pike, and lose weight only to gain it back in a few months. And yes, there were at least one or two along this line - eat a very restricted menu provided by a company. After one unsuccessful diet, I swore that I would not do the same thing. I’ve read a lot about losing weight since then.

From what I’ve seen, all diets* have a piss-poor track record. When I run into someone who was successful with a plan, it was either because it fit their personality and allowed them to eat those foods they need to eat to feel full, or after going through all that pain and anguish, they were bound and determined to not gain it back, and that was enough incentive to improve their post-diet eating.

Or (what I’ve run into most often) the diet “worked” until they started gaining weight, but if they started gaining weight it was “their fault”, and the problem wasn’t with the diet. IOW, if you succeed, the diet takes the glory, but if you fail, you take the blame.

IMO, you’re better off by starting with improving your eating habits and exercise habits, and don’t beat yourself up if you don’t lose weight as fast or as completely as you think you should.

*diet in the more common sense of a formalized food plan for losing weight, rather than the broader term of the entirety of how you consume calories.