Has anyone heard this tongue-in-cheek example of Germans stringing words together?

In high school the German teacher presented an amusing example of how Germans make new words by stringing words together. The gist of it was that there was a black-and-white checkered cannibal girl whose name was [something], and she owned cages for holding kangaroos she got from the Hottentots. (Or maybe she was a Hottentot.) The word was built up in steps, each step becoming longer than the last, and the story was told in German. The composite word was partially ‘Hottentottenbeutelratenkäfige’, and contained ‘schwarz-weisskariertekannibalenmädchen’.

I’m sure the teacher didn’t invent the story herself, and that it came from some resource. Did anyone take German in high school in the U.S. in the '70s/'80s, and hear this story? If so, can you post it (or at least the final word)?

[NB: ‘Hottentot’ is considered derogatory today.]

A characteristic of agglutinative languages, is that particles are strung together to forn a single long complex word, instead of a series of individual words. Many native languages of North America are agglutinative.

The German word I learned was Waffenstillstandsgrontbedingungen, which apparently was used in a speech by Hitler, it means “basic conditions of the truce”.

The “kangaroo” bit has been hitherto unknown to me: but, re the un-PC “Hottentot” theme – I’ve long known of the dreamt-up lengthy agglutinative German word:

Hottentottenpotentatentantenattentat – meaning, an attempt at the assassination of the aunt of a Hottentot potentate.

The very longest German word of which I’m aware – per Wikipedia, so total truth not guaranteed: but, reckoned “for real”:

Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft.

Meaning, Association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services.

The only place I have come across such a concept was in a book about German POWs in either the USA or England. To while away the time, these two guys would see who could make up the longest word. The one specifically mentioned in the book started out as “Hottentottentantenstanten …” which was something along the lines of “The Hottentot’s aunt was standing …”.

I don’t think it was the same one mentioned by vontsira, but it was along the same lines.

Hottentottententententoonstelling (hottentot-tent-exhibition) seems to be a somewhat recognizable joke word in Dutch, not German.

Yes, but German is not an agglutinative language.

Surely you mean Waffenstillstandsgrundbedingungen? Even so I can’t find any reference to Hitler having used that word. It’s long and awkward enough that any native speaker would almost certainly choose an easier way of rendering the idea (“Grundbedingungen für den Waffenstillstand” or something similar).

I always thought Strassenbahnhaltestelle particularly amusing, given its seven syllables translate into English as “tram stop”. I guess that’s a reasonably common, genuine example of the idea in the OP - sorry I can’t speak to the specific question, I learned German in England in the 90s.

I find it interesting to note that some of the examples posted in this thread are actually less economical when translated, it’s just the seemingly endless string of letters without spaces that we find amusing.

I heard the story, but in my teacher’s case it was “the kangaroo that we kept in the cage with the cover to keep out the weather in which was confined the assassin of the Hottentot mother of the two stupid and stuttering children”.

IOW, the Hottentottenstotteltruttelmutterattentatorlattengittenwettenkotterbeutelratte.

Regards,
Shodan

It’s not just German that does this - witness thisAfrikaans placename, or lots of other famous ones. They aren’t in common use, though.

Or of course the world famous station in Wales - llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, or its near neighbour - llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogochuchaf.

This translates (and yes - Welsh is a real language) into Saint Mary’s Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the Church of St. Tysilio of the red cave. The nearby village is Upper Saint Mary’s…"

Anybody in IT has probably seen this sign in their datacenter:

This term derives from the last word of the famous blackletter-Gothic sign in mangled mock German that once graced about half the computer rooms in the English-speaking world. One version ran in its entirety as follows.

** ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.**

This silliness dates back to least as far as 1955 at IBM and had already gone international by the early 1960s, when it was reported at the University of London’s ATLAS computing site. There are several variants of it in circulation, some of which actually do end with the word blinkenlights.

In German, numbers, when spelled out, appear as single words.
365=dreihundertfuenfundsechzig.
The “Declaration of Independence” is Die Unabhaengigkeitserklaerung.

In that vein (real, often used words that seem needlessly long), my favorite German word is Geschwindigkeitsbegrenzung. (Speed Limit). I also am partial to Sicherheitsmaßnahmen (safety precautions).

It always depends.

A partial nitpick of mine is the increasing prevalence of short, alec, elegant, yet needlessly opaque and decidedly non-german words like “Quorum”, when something slapped together in the general vein of “Beschlussfähigkeitsfeststellung” could convey a much clearer meaning.

It’s bad enough that it’s increasingly difficult to find an honest baker. These days you’re more likely than not forced to slink in one of these “backshops”, when you desire bread.

A favorite of mine is “Lieblingsfreiheitbeshäftigungen.” I.e., favorite recreation activities.

As a non-native German speaker, that reads at first as “The Independence Clarification,” which sounds much more polite.

In high school we learned Geschwindigkeit, as in ‘Mindestgeschwindigkeit’. I’ve been to Germany, but I haven’t driven there.

Obligatory link to Mark Twain’s wonderful essay The awful German language

Ripley (as in Believe It or Not) published “the world’s longest cuss word”!

** Himmelherrgottkreuzmillionendonnerwetter! ** :eek:

That’s pretty short - for example this (apparently defunct) blog http://www.himmelherrgottsakramentzefixhallelujascheissglumpatverreckts.com/ uses a longer curse word as ist domain name.