Has anyone lived to see their own child turn 90?

Or, what is the oldest age someone has lived to see their children reach?

Obviously if someone had their child at 15, they could conceivable reach 105 and see that kid reach 90. Has this ever occurred and been documented?

According to Wikipedia, Sarah Knauss, who died at the age of 119 in 1999 had a daughter Kathryn who was 96 at the time of her mother’s death. (Kathryn would go on to live to the age of 101.)

That’s amazing. I wonder if Sarah Knauss said on the occasion of her daughter’s 95th birthday: “They grow up so fast!”

That would certainly make her a very strong candidate for the record, then. I can not imagine being 95 years old and “good old Mom” still being alive.

Several such people are mentioned in the Book of Genesis. :wink:

You have to wonder if Kathryn went through a wild rebellious period in those last five years when her mother was no longer around to keep an eye on her.

I know this isn’t an answer to the question asked, but I can’t help remember a television documentary I saw about centenarians. When they were talking about how an ability to cope with grief was important to live to such an age, it was mentioned that some of the people interviewed had lost children to old age.

People may have been surprised to learn 75 year old Bob Butz’s mother was still alive - imagine their astonishment when they found out his grandmother was still alive too!

Sarah Knass’s grandson, Robert Butz, was 75 at the time of her death.

That is amazing. 75, and to still have Mom and Grandma around.

An insurance actuary told me that while a growing number of people live past 100, almost nobody lives past 114. If that is the case, it would roughly indicate that the upper limit might be a woman that gives birth at the age of 14 or 15 and has a child that lives to be 100. The odds of that happening have to be very, very small.

Until then, I’ll go with Sarah Knauss if her age is accurately verified.

Will Prince Charles still be waiting for his turn on the throne when he is 90?

Yes, irresponsibly frittering away her inheritance.

Jeanne Calment, the oldest women in the world at the time of her death at 122 years, had no heirs. Both her daughter and grandson died young.

As a current example, the oldest living European, Marie-Thérèse Bardet, just turned 114 last weekend, and at least her son Léon is already 90 years old.

Reading the related Wikipedia articles gives the impression that there have been at least several hundred people who have been documented and verified to live past their 110th birthday. As families in 19th century and early 20th century often had children quite young and as the relatives of very long-living people also tend to live longer, it seems there could have been a reasonable number of cases of someone living to see their own child turn 90.

By that time, the Queen would be 112 years old.

While this is not very likely, I still wouldn’t bet my life savings against it happening.

Here’s Wikipedia’s entry on the oldest known people:

I calculated once that anyone 110 or older has an estimated half-life at any point from then on of about eight months. In other words, if someone is 110 or older, there’s a 50/50 chance that they will live another eight months. Since 114 years minus 110 years = 6 times eight months, someone who lives to 110 has about one chance in 64 of living to 114. This shows why it’s so astounding that Jeanne Calment lived to 122.

She’s also a woman who had a very good property contract, signed when she was 90. The other party died before her, but who could expect a 90 year old to live another 32 years?

I’m not sure about 90, but I definitely know about 89.

Not no more she ain’t: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/europes-oldest-woman-dies-in-france/story-e6frf7lf-1226389600506.

Oh, indeed. Change current to recent then, and may she rest in peace. This sort of emphasizes Wendell Wagner’s comment: someone who lives to be 114 doesn’t have a very long life expectancy.