Has Guinness Draught changed in your area?

Despite GQ and GD leanings, I’ve placed this in Cafe Society. It’s based upon my experiences as well as those described in this Beer Advocate Thread In many people’s opinions, Guinness has definitely changed for the worse. While this is old news to the cognoscenti, the change seems to be palpable to even casual drinkers, as evidenced by the responses of St. Patrick’s Day-only imbibers. How is the Guinness in your area? Is it noticeably blander or sweeter? Does it lack the Toasty malt character and characteristic opaque blackness that Guinness is known for?

I’ve noticed a difference in it’s pour at the bar I work at. I originally attributed it to a problem with the house tap or even the temperature. I never thought it might be something on the Guinness end of things. I haven’t served myself one in a while, so I can’t comment on the taste. I have a 14.9 oz. can of Guinness Draught right here in my fridge. It says “Brewed in Ireland” on it…Perhaps a taste test between a local pint & the contents of this can are in order. I’m not a big supporter of the “floating draught system” from the can…but it seems as if the can’s contents should at least be opaque as described in your linked thread.

This certainly merits an ongoing investigation. I’ll get right on it.

Haven’t noticed any difference over here.

They significantly improved the cans of Draught Guinness about two years ago but have heard nothing about a change to the pub draught and also haven’t noticed anything while drinking it.

I’ve noticed that they serve it too cold, which deadens the taste buds, in too many places.

Last week I had a half 'n half (or was it a black 'n tan - which one uses Harp?) and I didn’t notice anything unusual with the goodness of Guiness.

A black and tan would have Ale in it.

I’ve seen Guinness literature on US bars that talk about a Half and Half with Guinness and Harp but have never and will never try this. It was sold in the literature as an Irish drink. It most certainly is not. The only thing I can think of is Guinness are trying to sell more Harp.

Anyway each to his own as all that :slight_smile:

Any particular preffered brand of ale for black-and-tans in Ireland? Most bars around these parts use Bass, but I’ve also seen Smithwick’s (brewed by Guinness) used as well.

Personally, I find Guinnesses so variable in bars across the city that I wouldn’t be able to tell if anything has changed over the last few months. In most bars I swear it tastes watered-down, although draft Guinness has always been a fairly “light” beer to me. (By “light” I mean smooth, not too agressive, drinkable in large quantities, a good session beer. As opposed to something like a Imperial IPA or Guinness Extra Stout.)

Mostly Smithwicks as that would be the most popular Ale over here.

Guinness is quite variable even over here as it takes a bit of care to get a really good pint. Temp, pressure, length of the run of the pipes and also how long the stuff sits in the pipes. Over here that’s not really a problem as Guinness is so popular but without a good run on it can be quite bad. That’s why the last time I was in the States me and my mates would buy the locals a few first to get a run on the stuff while we drank Sam Adams :smiley:

Guinness do a huge amount of work here on getting pubs up to spec with equipment etc. they will supply coolers etc and even give loans for cool rooms sometimes if they think it will be of value.

Over here the rule of thumb is if a little old man is drinking Guinness then it’s most likely a good pint as they will not accept muck :wink:

Take care you’re not being served that evil “extra cold” rubbish. Some bars I’ve been in (trendy bars where a lot of students work) serve it up without asking you for a preference :rolleyes:

I always figured ordering a “black and tan” in Dublin would get you a beating because of the relation of the phrase to the Royal Irish Constabulary.

There are some bars in Dublin, The Q Bar for example that only serve extra cold. Be warned.

While the memory of the Black and Tans is very much still around(a member of my own family was killed by the bastards) you wouldn’t have any problem ordering it in a pub although it’s not really that popular. More usual would be for someone to get a Smithwicks and ask for a Guinness head on it.

IMO nothing should be added to Guinness. Girls sometimes put blackcurrant cordial in it to sweeten it up :eek: