Guinness Draft (in the bottle)

Color me unimpressed.

I got a 12 pack of these a couple weeks ago - they were on sale. Tried one immediately when I got home. Meh. Read the label, it said to refridgerate for at least 2 hours beforehand. Did that the next day. Meh. Tried one that was refrigerated all night. Meh.

They just taste very watered down. I’m a huge fan of Guinness on draft, and the widget cans. I’ve had a lot of friends who have spent a lot of time in Ireland, and say that the cans are about as close as you can get to Guinness in Dublin. The bottles just taste entirely different. Maybe not enough carbonation is coming out of the rocket. I dunno, but I’m sticking with the cans (please tell me they’re still going to keep making them).

I dont know, I’m a pretty big fan of Guiness Extra-Stout in the bottle. I actually got hooked on the stuff after a black co-worker of mine said it made you fuck for hours on end. Hehe, that it didnt do, but I’ve been drinking it ever since.

Guinness Extra Stout in the bottle is NOT the same as Guinness Draught in the bottle. Two entirely (well, they’re both still beer, I suppose) different products.

I agree with the OP, that Guinness Draught tastes much better out of the can. However, neither is really a great stout. There’s much better domestic stout available in the US. I can’t say how it is on tap in Ireland, though.

Guinness canned is much better than the bottle. I agree that the bottled version tastes very watery. Tap is, of course, best. The cans are still being sold, as far as I know.

Guinness Extra Stout is disgusting. It has no thickness, no real head, and terrible taste.

I haven’t had the bottled version yet, so maybe it’s best to avoid it, going by most people’s opinions here.

I shall stick to draught in a can.

stick to the can!
the bottled stuff does a good boiler maker tho’

When I’m rich and famous I’m going to have a bar in my house complete with a tappy-lever-thingy just for Guiness, and a hot bikini babe to deliver the new canister thingies with the beer in 'em.

Personally, I’m with raizok. I’m kind of an oddity among beer geeks (and as some of you may know, I can go on and on about beer), in that I don’t care for nitrogenated stouts at all. I just don’t like the texture. I don’t like draft Guinness (or any other nitro brews) very much.

But I do like the normally carbonated Guinness Extra Stout.

I know, I’m a weirdo. :slight_smile:

Looks like Ferrous and I are the only ones with good taste around here… hmmph! points nose towards the ceiling

j/k hehe

After drinking Guiness out of the bottle a year ago, I swore never to drink Guiness unless its from TAP, but now since many of you recommend the CANS, I’m gonna have to try it after all, you are DOPERS here and I admire alot of the advice i get…your reputations are at stake here, I’m gonna try a CAN tonight.

Remember, EhhMon, once you pop the can, pour it IMMEDIATELY. The carbonation expands, and it will overflow out of the can. For some reason you don’t have to do that with the bottles, which is where I think the problem lies.

Canned draught is the best - it’s got a widget inside it. Very close to pub standard. The bottles don’t have widgets, do they?

They have “rocket widgets”. There’s a quick spurt of carbonation, but nothing like the real widget. They’re attached somehow to the bottle cap.

yeay widgets!
horrible bottles.
mingy.

BTW murphy’s cans are nicer than guinness cans, but guinness beats murphy’s from the tap.
although i’m speaking from ireland so YMMV

BTW, the widget in Guinness cans release air, not CO[sub]2[/sub]. You wouldn’t want fizzy Guinness now, would you?

Are you guys pouring the bottles, too? I bought a six-pack of the Guiness Draught bottles last weekend. The next day I opened and poured one into a chilled mug, and it tasted awful! Very watery, not much taste at all. The day after that, I decided since I’d bought them I damn well better drink them, so I decided to have another one, but this time out of the bottle (wouldn’t want to waste another chilled mug, would I? :slight_smile: ). Straight out of the bottle, while not great, seemed much better than when I had poured it out. That’s when I noticed on the label it says “Drink straight from the bottle”. Uh, ok . Like I said, it still wasn’t great, but it didn’t taste nearly as watery.

Huh. No, I was pouring it. Drink straight from the bottle? That didn’t even occur to me.

Yeah, it’s worse when you pour the bottle. But even straight out of the bottle it’s bad. Get the can and save yourself the worry.

I’ve never tried the can, I’ll pick some up.

…did somebody call me?..:smack:
Why was the Hatter mad?
(Still more aplolgies to Lewis Carroll)
“Have some Guinness,” the March Hare said in an encouraging tone.
Alice looked all round the table but there was nothing on it. “I don’t see any Guinness,” She remarked.
“There isn’t any,” said the March Hare.
“Then why did you offer me some?” said Alice, indignantly.
“You must be mad!”
“I am,” said the March Hare.
“So’s the Hatter.”
“Why?” asked Alice, interested in spite of her vexation.
“Becasuse we can’t get any Guinness,” said the March Hare.
“That’s enough to make anyone mad.”
“And why can’t you get any Guinness?” asked Alice.
“Too late. After hours,” said the Hatter, and relapsed into silence".
“But you could have ordered some to drink at home,” said Alice, who was a sensible girl.
“There!” said the March Hare.
“We never thought of that. That just shows you how mad we must be!”
GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU

http://www.guinness-webstore.com/Guinness/images/46251_4.jpg