Has the place where you grew up ever been in a movie?

Gwyneth Paltrow’s new movie about Sylvia Plath is out now in the US, and I just watched the trailer. All the beach scenes were filmed in an obscure, tiny fishing village north of Dunedin, New Zealand - the very same place that I grew up! I haven’t been back there in many years, so it’s quite nostalgic to see it, especially portrayed so beautifully.

Have your obscure childhood neighbourhoods ever been in the movies?

I grew up in Accrington, Lancashire. There was a film made there called ‘Nature of the Beast’ about a wild animal loose in the local hillside ‘copice’.

A small old-ish baseball stadium only a mile or three from my house was a setting for the movie The Babe, made in 1992, staring John Goodman. It was right outside my Middle School, though they shot in the summer. It was a pretty cool thing at the time, although the movie didn’t go anywhere.

The movie version of E.L. Doctorow’s Ragtime featured a big old Victorian house - two blocks from the house I grew up in, in bustling Mt. Kisco, NY.

Very obscure but…

Lots of movies are filmed in Vegas, where I live now, but I grew up about 25 miles away in Boulder City. In the first few minutes of “Con Air”, you see Nicolas Cage’s character receiving an award in a park with a government building in the background. That goverment building is the Bureau of Reclamation building in Boulder City- where my dad, grandma, aunt, mother and two sisters have worked off and on over the years. The park is where I had my first Easter Egg hunt and went to countless community events.

I hear that the move December was filmed at my college, though I haven’t seen it. Nothing in my hometown, that I know of.

I was born and spent the first few years of my life in Manhattan. Now, let’s see… what movies take place in Manhattan…

Well, I grew up in Pacific Palisaes, California, home of many movie stars and the Governor-Elect of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger. I grew up about three blocks from Walter Matthau, Mel Blanc, and Bert Convey.

I see my hometown in movies all the time, in fact, our house was used for several “B” movies and TV commercials in the 70s. Apparently that was a good source of income for local residents, my dad claimed he was paid very well for the few days the crew was there.

There was even a TV series for a while called Pacific Palisades, sort of a cheap Knots’ Landing knockoff.

I grew up in Needles, CA.

The movie Convoy was filmed in my hometown.

They blew up the old Needles Bridge to Arizona for one of the final scenes.

Mayfield, KY has appeared in one movie that I’m aware of: The Bruce Willis classic In Country was filmed here. The movie was based on the novel by Mayfield native Bobbie Ann Mason, so it seemed natural to shoot it here.

I’m not in it, but people I know are, and my dad’s old truck is in the parking lot of the Dairy Queen.

Heh, I still live where I grew up. But, yeah, the greater Vancouver area is a popular place for films to be made. But to be exact, I live in a suburb and I’ve only recognized parts of my tiny suburb city once… in Scary Movie.

The horrible River’s Edge was shot in my hometown of Rancho Cordova, CA.

Los Colinas, Texas (near Dallas) has a major studio where all the Chuck Norris series were filmed - my husband was a stuntman and appeared (briefly!) in the final takes of the last season. Also, he was the stand-in for all of Robert Urich’s scenes in his made-for-TV movie (the airing was delayed due to 9/11). Sadly, Robert died soon after, at the young age of 55.

I grew up in Miami, so that obviously doesn’t count.

Gainesville, Florida, though, where I currently reside, has been in all sorts of things.

The first part of the Devil’s Advocate was filmed here, and I believe one of the Jason movies was filmed at Camp Crystal Lake, which is run by the Alachua County schoolboard.

A few other odds and ends of movies have been filmed at UF.

Oh, yeah. Where I am now, Indiana University, was the setting of “Breaking Away.”

An old gas station/auto repair joint a block from my house was evidentally in a scene from Britney Spears’s “Crossroads.” I have not seen this fine film, but my mother watched it only to see the gas station. I do remember streets being shut off when the movie was filming, though.

This is Baton Rouge, by the way.

Gilley’s in Pasadena Texas. Spent teenage years near it. Saw location shots being done for Urban Cowboy*

Guthrie, Oklahoma. Up here a lot due to favorite cousin. Scene in Rain Man

Monkey Planet. Imprisoned until my death in 1897. the original (1968) Planet of the Apes filmed entirely on location.

The cafeteria of my elementary school was in an Oreos commercial.

I was born in Dearborn, Michigan. Home to Evil Dead I & II, Army of Darkness, and all the subsequent video games…also, the town where Evil Dead was filmed is only about 4 hours away from me (Morristown, TN)…in fact, I wasn’t that far from it this Thursday.

I lived in the shadow of Mount Doom. Seriously, I could look up and see it from my house. Only took 45 minutes to drive up - good skiing too.