Has there ever been a successful Broadway musical sequel?

I was reading up on Broadway flops and came across Bring Back Birdie with Donald O’Connor and Chita Rivera, which was (of course if you read the title of this thread) a complete flop. It made me wonder if any Broadway Musical sequel ever made it big.

Mamma Mia! Here we go again!
I’m not sure if it’s at popular as the first. But seems well known.

That was a Broadway musical?

The article below lists eight Broadway musical sequels. I don’t see any I would call “notable” (I do not think this is a complete list but you’d think they’d get the best of them):

Oh yes.

I may be confused tho’.
The name of one of them
is, Mamma Mia, Here we go again!
The other is, Mamma Mia 2.

(3 is in the works)

I’m sorry, but I cannot find any reference to a Broadway musical sequel to Mama Mia!
Please note that I am looking for stage production musical sequels to previous state production musicals.

Yes. I understand. I googled to get the names straight. I’m still not sure if it’s completely right.
Playbill.com

ETA: there is one. The Lil’wrekker acted in it in her college theatre. Whether it ever actually got produced in a big Broadway theatre I can’t tell, either.
So. I’m probably wrong.

I can’t be sure, but it seems like someone should mention WICKED.

Technically that’s a prequel :slight_smile:

I think “The Wizard of Oz” was made into a musical but Wicked, the prequel, pre-dated it which makes sorting this a little weird.

At that, did JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR hit Broadway before JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT did, but only after TWO BY TWO did?

I may be doing this wrong.

Well, Joseph is Old Testament, so it cannot be a sequel to Jesus Christ Superstar.

At any rate, I’d like to see Jesus Christ Superstar II: He’s Back and He’s Pissed!

Which is my point: Two By Two is Old Testament, and — in both senses — comes before Joseph.

Don’t forget The Wiz.
There was also a 1902 Wizard of Oz musical.

While the 1902 musical did hit Broadway for 293 performances, I wouldn’t\t be calling Wicked a sequel.

That’s fair.

No. That was only a film.

Love Never Dies (sequel to Phantom of the Opera) would be the most famous, except it never reached Broadway, playing in London and then in Australia. I saw it in London and it was so bad.

If you squint at Falsettos, it sort of qualifies, maybe? (Broadway musical consisting of an Off-Broadway musical and its sequel)

Not a sequel of a Broadway musical.

It’s quite bad or really just super boring and bland. And some strange plot decisions.

A Tuna Christmas actually played on Broadway, at the Booth Theatre in 1994-95 for 20 performances (It is a Christmas novelty). I think the touring version with the same cast actually made more money and is a perennial favorite in other markets, particularly DC. It’s a sequel to Greater Tuna, which was kind of a big deal off-Broadway, but never played a Broadway theater.

I vaguely remember a play called The Boys in Autumn, about Tom Sayer and Huckleberry Finn at the twilight of their legal and political careers, playing at the Circle Theater, not sure whether it was during its Broadway or Off-Broadway era. It doesn’t have a Wikipedia listing, so maybe not a big success. It could be seen as a sequel to the more popular Big River (opened on April 25, 1985 at the Eugene O’Neill Theatre, and closed on September 20, 1987, running for 1,005 performances.), but I forget which one came out first.