Have you ever been given a break by the cops?

One real break that I can remember. I was in western Houston, going 40 in a 35, and a cop drove up behind me. He drove along for like 2 miles at this speed, then finally flashed his lights and called me over. Long story short, he gave me a warning and let me go.

The worst part of the whole thing was his bombastic speech about how if I was disregarding him by speeding with him behind me, then I was disregarding the LAW! My younger brother was in the passenger seat about to bust a gut trying not to laugh, and he wasn’t helping me keep a straight and appropriately contrite face while this guy went on and on about disregarding the law and disrespecting cops, etc…

I really think he was more butthurt about the fact that I wasn’t terrified enough of him to immediately slam on the brakes down to 35, than he was that I was actually going 40 in a 35. I guess I’m lucky that he didn’t beat me down or something.

Got pulled over for a burned out headlight, I showed him the bulb and the receipt from when I had purchased it about 10 min before being pulled over. He let me go.

I always wear my seatbelt, but I’ve gotten a couple of seatbelt tickets.

One was when I got pulled over doing 50 in a 40 or something like that, as a mid-30s adult. Was nice to the cop, he said they were doing an “Operation Pullover” deal and he had to write something, so he wrote a $25 seatbelt ticket instead of a $200 (or whatever) speeding ticket…even though I was wearing the seatbelt.

The other time I got one was when I was 18 or 19 and in a friend’s car when he was pulled over in a parking lot while moving a car from one spot to another…no intention of driving onto the road, so we didn’t have them on. He pulled us over on very questionable motives, and let’s just say that things could have been WAY worse for us if he searched the car…so we took our pair of seatbelt tickets and said thanks.

Not me but my brother. 14 years old and he and his friends got the neighbor’s car keys while she was out of town and decided to go a ridin’. They cruised the empty dark streets of Lexington KY for some reason and then an officer noticed. He thought they looked a wee bit too young to be driving so he followed them and got them on changing lanes while making a turn. Everyone’s parents got the call at about 3 AM.

I’m not exactly sure what transpired after that, but the neighbor decided not to press charges and the officer told my mother that for a 14 year old, my brother was the best driver he’d ever seen.

I think I have been stopped for various traffic offenses six times, and got a ticket three times and a warning on the other three.

It was about three years ago. I was picking up dinner with a massive traffic jam downtown. I found a street with no traffic nd cut through it. Two minutes later a cop stopped me. I had abolutely no idea why.

Turned out the street was one way. I hadn’t realized (they change the streets from one way and back eveŕy few years downtown) and the sign was blocked by a van.

He told me and I knew I was dead to rights. He could see that I didn’t know, and I was respectable looking (I have white hair, so I automatcially played the old guy card and a clean license) . So I waited for the boom to fall, but he came back and said that since things were craxy, he’d let me off. I thanked him profusely.

Lucky you. I’ve been to traffic school more times than I can count, so that means many more tickets. I’ve contributed to the state of California quite a bit over the years.

Great story, man.

A couple - both decades ago.

Mid 1980’s I was working at a gas station and the OPP had a contract with the owner so they were always at the station refueling and grabbing coffee. I was in Peterborough for the day doing my final tests and medical exam for my entry to the Canadian Armed Forces. I was also 17, and the drinking age in Ontario was 18 at the time. I completed my appointments and then we took the mileage reimbursement for myself and two of my three passengers (my cousin was just tagging along for the ride) and we all went mid afternoon drinking at Pizza Hut of all places. I wasn’t more than pleasantly buzzed but I was also 17 and saw a future outside of our small town in my sights so we were driving fairly fast and very loudly singing along with the radio as we drove south on Hwy 28. As we passed my cousin’s parents farm, we honked and waved and while looking back to see if anyone noticed us I saw the lights in the rear view mirror. Turns out they had been following us for 5 miles with the lights on. Ooops.

They very kindly drove my car back to my driveway and reminded me that this was an excellent way to ruin my future before I even left town. I bought them coffee and donuts for weeks (Until I left!) and since no one was home when we arrived they even waited til after I’d left for basic training to tell my dad.

Late 1980’s driving on Hwy 17 on my way to meet my boyfriends parents. I was in a small 3 cylinder car that belonged to my roommate (I don’t remember exactly the model, I’ve been websurfing to try and find it, I think it was a Suzuki Swift?) and doing about 130km, saw the cop and slowed down to 100. He pulled out and pulled me over and the first question he asked was - have you done something to that car to make it go that fast? I was struggling to keep my smart ass under wraps so I did not answer “press the accelerator” as I dearly wanted to, I just explained that no, it’s fully capable of that speed. He muttered to himself a couple times about his son and his claims that his was perfectly safe because seriously Dad does it look like it could go that fast.

After he pulled himself out of his annoyance with his kid he asked why, since I clearly saw him, why didn’t I slow down to the actual speed limit. I said that seemed a little disingenuous - if I saw him, he saw me and I wasn’t fooling anyone so instead of slowing down to the speed limit I slowed down to the generally accepted speed instead. He told me to stay at the generally accepted speed and stay safe and sent me off on my trip.

Can I just say - EXCELLENT username/post combo :smiley:

A couple or three years ago I was driving across the Albert Street bridge and, naturally, a car was waiting at Regina Ave. for me to get close enough for her to pull out in front of me. This angered me so I stepped on the gas and started changing into the left lane. Other driver changed into the left lane in front of me so I swooped back to the right lane and passed going through the next light somewhat late in the cycle.

I was pulled over by a cop who told my I cheated on the red light and was driving aggressively. I said something like, “you’re right. If I keep losing by temper like that someday someone will get hurt.” No ticket.

I have, but for boring speeding stuff.

My friend, on the other hand, had a doozy. Hppened when he was 17 or so.

He was in the habit (severely not recommended) of dropping acid and speeding around on his bike. At night. With no lights or helmet.

Said it was an awesome experience - like flying.

Well, one time he did it, he did end up flying - over the hood of a cop car, when he ran right into one at the bottom of a big hill he had been “flying” down. Apparently, he flew with the greatest of ease, did a somersalt in the air, and landed - in a relatively soft bush some distance away. He did not have a scratch (his bike was totalled though).

The cops watched this performance in awe.

They had a few questions for him, when he had picked himself up and dusted himself off. Allegedly, he felt completely at ease and told them everything with total honesty - that he was tripping, that he liked to ride at night with no lights or helmet when tripping, etc.

The cops drove him home, did not charge him with anything (even though his bike must have done some damage to the cop’s car). One of them presented my friend with a card with his (the cop’s) number on it, and these instructions: “if you make it to twenty, please give me a call - my partner here has a bet going that you won’t make it”.

The friend did live past 20 (though I soon lost track of him thereafter), dunno if he called the cop though (or indeed, if the cop meant anything by it other than a rather gentle, if pointed, jab :wink: ).

I grew up in the panhandle of Oklahoma and was driving home for Thanksgiving from Georgia. I had just cleared Oklahoma City and thought it was ‘safe’ to begin speeding again. Nope, Almost as soon as I cranked the speed up, I got stopped by the HiPo (Did anyone else ever call the Highway Patrol HiPo?).

In Oklahoma when you receive a ticket it’s common to get out of your car and into the HiPo’s car. So off I went and got in the HiPo’s car to receive my ticket.

The next part is entertainingly told by my wife or daughter as they were in the car with me. My daughter couldn’t stand to not look anymore and turned around to see the HiPo really bawling me out good, and I was responding with a lot of hand gestures and nodding my head. She thought I was in real trouble. Then she saw that the HiPo was laughing and then I started laughing too. I eventually came back to my car with only a warning. It turns out I knew the HiPo, but hadn’t seen him in something like 30-40 years. He was in my sister’s class in school (2 years younger). Not only that but his older sister hit me with her car when I was like 10-12 years old. My 10-12 year old self was riding home from the pool one summer day and I zipped through an intersection without looking and his sister ‘hit’ me with her car. I say ‘hit’ in the lightest sense, as I only sprained my ankle, but it was still pretty traumatic at the time. When the HiPo asked where I was headed to in such a hurry, I said Shattuck (Population 1,200 SALUTE!). He asked if I knew Mary xxxx; “of course I do, she’s my sister.”
HiPo: “I was in her class in school, my name is: Terry YYYY”
Me: "Terry? I know you! Your sister hit me with her car! "
HiPo: “That was you? I always wondered who that was!”
… hilarity ensues … he writes me a warning and off I go.

Sometimes it’s a small world.

I immediately thought of this video when I read this:

I haven’t got a ticket since 1962, and have been stopped only three times since then, and always let go with a warning. The last time (and the only time I ever really enjoyed a chat with a cop) was two years ago, about a block from home. A little back story. My wife drives a 1969 VW Squareback - all sparkling white and chrome and looking brand new - and we had just had some extensive engine work done. I had taken it out for a test drive, and was heading back for home when the lights went off behind me. What transpired is described below.

I pulled into a handy parking lot, and watch the officer get of of the police car. Noticed immediately that said officer, a girl cop, was drop-dead gorgeous.

1. Officer proceeds to inform me that my car tabs had expired about 9 months age. I was incredulous that this could have occurred, and showed it. Had no explanation, but was quite contrite, and promised that tabs would be ordered on-line and put on that same afternoon.

2. Officer asks if she could see the registration for the car. Immediately remembered that my wife keeps all documentation in her purse, which I naturally don’t have. Explain this to beautiful girl cop.

3. Officer asks to see my proof of insurance. See above paragraph.

4. Beautiful girl cop tells me to go get the tabs, and try to be sure that the documentation would be available if this ever happened again. Lets me go without even a warning ticket, and we part friends. What a doll!

Next day I told my son-in-law about this incident. He was quite exasperated and put out - said, “I did almost the identical thing last year, and it cost me a $350 ticket.” Explained to son-in-law that if he had reminded the cop of her grandfather he probably wouldn’t have gotten a ticket either.

Sometimes there are advantages to being ancient.

18 years old, last year of high school, full drivers licence living in country NSW. Zero public transport.

Went to the pub in the town I went to high school at to have farewell drinks for an exchange student. Had a few beers, someone bought some shots, then I realised I had to drive 20km home. Oops.

Switched to water and hung on for another couple of hours then left. Murphies law strikes, car won’t start, Starter motor stuck. Into the pub, get a bunch of drunks out to give me a push start and we’re off.

Driving down the main street of Finley heading North, need to turn around to head south so pulled over and put the blinker on to do a U turn when a cop car suddenly pulled up across my front. With all the street lights on and having to get a push start I’d forgotten to put on the headlights. FMD.

So, cops ask all the questions, why did I have no lights, what was I doing, etc etc then pull out the breathalyser. Back then I don’t think it had a digital readout, it just showed if you were over 0.05 or not. Really not sure.

Anyway, I gave my story and blew into the breathalyser. The cop looked at the result, looked at me and asked “where were you going?” “Home” says I.

“Straight home?” says the cop. “Is that far?”

“Straight home mate, it’s not far, 10 minutes” (Hey, I’d handed over my licence, if he hadn’t read the address and saw I lived 20km away, not my problem".

'All Right" said the cop, “get going, straight home and BE CAREFUL.”

Didn’t have to tell me twice.

Five different cops; three encounters

The road I was on comes off the freeway and four lanes wind their way uphill and around curves and eventually end up at a junior college. I was coming home from the 4-year college one sunny afternoon on my motorcycle when two kids in brightly-colored cars came barreling up the road. One had a flame job painted on the hood, the other had that kind of wide black line that says “I’m imitating a race car!” painted over the hood, top, and trunk. They were weaving back and forth between the two northbound lanes, clearly racing each other as they passed me.

Then we came to a stop light and, since there were a lot of other young people out on the road at the time, the two racers got stuck behind about a half-dozen cars. And, since I was on a bike, I was able to ride between the stopped cars# right up to the yellow crosswalk line. That seemed to piss-off the racers a bit and, since I was in the mood to piss them off even more, I gave my handlebars a shake when the light turned green. That made my bike wobble a bit as traffic started to move, and the drivers to my left and right reacted by slowing down a bit (either to give me room to crash or to make sure I wouldn’t damage their paint jobs when it happened). Then I cranked the throttle and left the whole pack behind me as I zipped up the hill and around the next curve.

Just as I rounded that curve, I saw a city police car on the side of the road with an officer standing at the back and pointing a radar gun at the crest of the curved hill. I glanced at my speedometer and saw that I was going about 5 miles over the limit; when I looked ahead again, I could see him waving his hand for me to pull over. So I slowed, changed lanes, and actually passed and parked in front of his car. Then I got off the bike, set my helmet and keys on the seat, and walked back to stop by his rear tire.

“Watch this.” I said as I leaned casually on the rear fender (side?) of his car. He frowned at me, but busied himself with the details at the top of a ticket as I watched the road behind us. In less than a minute, the pack of cars I had left behind caught up to us and, as I had expected, the two racers were at the front as if they were leading a parade with their un muffled exhaust pipes forewarning the world of their arrival. As they approached and passed, I pointed to each one and said, “One. Two.”

And then I stepped closer to the officer as he asked the routine, “You know why I pulled you over?”

“Yes I do, sir. I was speeding just a bit.” I confirmed, “But you pulled me out of that sticky situation, so I’ll gladly pay for that.”

“Okay.” he agreed, “License and registration?”

I told him it was in my backpack and got out my wallet and flipped it open and pulled out the card and paper.

“I see you’ve done your MSF* Training.” he noticed the strategically-placed card atop the junk in the little plastic multi-fold picture/card holder. I could tell from the tone of his voice that he was going to launch into a you should know better lecture.

“Yes indeed.” I affirmed, “In fact, that’s where the instructor, Mark Thompson, told us it’s better for motorcyclists to be ahead of a pack of racing idiots – like those two guys I pointed out – rather than behind them.”

“Oh?” the officer asked, “And why’s that?”

“Because if they start a pile-up from their shenanigans, a motorcyclist wants that crap to be behind him, rather than be driving into the mayhem. He was a former CHP Motor Patrolman.”

“Well, that may be true.” the officer acknowledged as he handed me back my documents, “but you need to go easy around these blind curves.”

“Point well taken, sir.” I told him and reached out to shake his hand.

“Have a nice day.” he told me and turned to set his ticket book on the trunk of his car while picking up the radar gun again.

I didn’t mind him refusing to shake my hand.

It was the middle of August and I was heading west on highway 8, pushing my motorcycle up to about 70mph and leaning way forward over the tank. After a while I sat upright a bit more and saw the flashing lights in my mirrors. I sighed and pulled over to the breakdown lane on the right side of the highway, only to hear a female voice on a loudspeaker, “Go to the next exit.”

So I drove to the next off-ramp and pulled over at the bottom, only to hear the same woman command, “Proceed to the gas station ahead and stop.”

I was going to just proceed through the red light but thought better of it and waited, and pulled into a little parking space near the air & water station off to the side of the main building and pumps.

The officers got out of their cruiser and approached while I was peeling off my helmet and laying my pack on the seat. I was a bit surprised because they were both female and, quite frankly, both gorgeous. Scenes of me and them and handcuffs played in my head until one of them spoke.

“Do you know why we stopped you, sir?” the driver officer asked.

“No sir.” I responded reflexively and immediately corrected myself, “No ma’am!”

As the MAS*H scene of Radar’s first encounter with Major Houlihan played through my head, the officers chuckled.

“You left the county back at the Greenfield underpass.” the same officer explained, “Here in the city the speed limit is still fifty-five.”

“Ahh.” I acknowledged and reached for my pack to unzip the front pocket where my wallet was stored. But I frowned as I pulled it out and asked, “Was I speeding?”

“You were doing about seventy, sir.” the passenger officer noted.

“Where are you going this evening, sir?” the driver officer asked.

"Oh, I explained, “I’m coming back from the Cuyamacas, I was trying to watch the meteor showers but there weren’t a whole lot.”

“Oh, you should have seen it last week.” the passenger officer responded. She seemed much more relaxed than the driver officer, so I figured she was the junior partner. The skies were full of 'em and cars were lining up on both sides of the freeway. Sunset highway was packed and we were ticketing people left and right."

“Have you had anything to drink this evening, sir.” the driver officer pushed us back to official business.

“No.” I shook my head, then said, “But that reminds me!” As I reached out and unzipped the main pocket of my pack, the officers shared a look that said, Is this guy stupid or crazy or what? I ignored it and flipped my pack open to reveal the tops of a six-pack. I pulled a green can off the plastic retainer and offered it to the more stern officer, “Would you like a ginger ale?”

“Umm, no.” that finally seemed to have broken her reserve and she laughed, “That’s quite all right. Thank you.”

I offered the same can to the other officer, who was already laughing, and she shook her head and declined the offer as well. I shrugged and popped the can open, chugging a bit while feeling like I was proving it was safe.

“Nothing at all, sir?” the officer persisted (and dragged us back to official business again).

“Not a drop.” I told her, “Not for about a decade.”

“You were weaving a bit when we spotted you, sir.” she explained, “So we picked you up when you crossed into the city.”

“Oh, that!” I remembered my slalom attempt and explained, “Y’know those commercials that say ‘slow down when the officer does a round robin on the road’?”

“Yeah.” Both officers nodded

“Well I thought that looked so fun to do but too dangerous to do in traffic.” I continued, “But since I couldn’t see anybody out here for miles ahead or behind me I figured I’d try it.”

Again the officers laughed and, as I chugged my ginger ale again, I could see them exchanging a glance that seemed to say, Is this guy an incredible nerd, or what? and my little fantasy of being their prisoner choked and collapsed.

“So was it fun?” the junior officer asked.

“Well, not really.” I admitted, “It seems like a better move to do at about forty or less – sure ya don’t want a ginger ale?”

“No thank you.” the senior officer declined again and they seemed to move in unison back toward the cruiser, “Just make sure you keep it to fifty-five on this side of Greenfield.”

“Will do!” I confirmed as my menage-a-cop concept withered and died, “Thank you!”

I finished my soda, made a point of putting it in the trash can, then mounted up and rode home.

I was up in Dayton trying to find their University and feeling a full bladder. I passed a filling station on the wrong side of the median, so I made a U-turn at the next stop light. After straightening out of the turn, I cranked on the throttle and saw a police cruiser out of the corner of my eye. When I made it to the speed limit I stopped accelerating, but that was after I’d already seen the passenger in the cruiser pointing at me. I reached the filling station just as the cruiser caught up to me, and they were turning on their lights as I pulled in. They pulled in behind me as I was dismounting and peeling off my helmet.

“Where ya goin’ son?” the driving officer called out as I was walking away from my bike.

“I’m going in to pee.” I replied.

“No you’re not.” the passenger officer told me, “This is a traffic stop.”

“Well, technically, sir,” I noted as they moved forward and converged in front of their cruiser, “I pulled in here of my own accord and then you guys showed up and turned on your lights.”

“Do you know why we’re stopping you?” the driver officer asked.

I didn’t know if he meant stopping me on the road or stopping me from using the restroom and I didn’t want to quibble about the distinction so I simply said, “No sir…z”

“We saw you speeding after you made your U-turn.” the passenger officer revealed. I wondered if they were intentionally playing tag-team, but neither of them was acting like the particularly good- or bad-cop.

“Actually, sir,” I looked directly at the passenger officer, “I only got up to the posted speed limit as I passed the sign. I don’t believe there’s anything specific about how rapidly one may accelerate to that limit.”

“Can we see your license and registration?” the driver officer seemed to be getting impatient about the encounter.

“Certainly!” I nodded and pulled my wallet out of my jacket. I pulled the documents out of my wallet and handed them to the one who had requested them.

The guy took my cards, looked briefly at them, then gave them to his partner along with an odd glance, “You’re here from California?”

“Yes sir.” I confirmed, “I’m doing grad school in Cincinnati.”

“Why haven’t you updated your license and registration?”

“Well, they don’t expire until September and I wasn’t planning on staying past June.” I explained, and then lied, “Unless I get accepted to Law School.”

The officers glanced at each other again, this time longer, and the passenger officer handed my documents back to his partner.

“You really need to update these for your residency here.” The driver officer noted as he handed my cards back to me, “Even if you’re just here for college.”

“I’ll do that this week, sir.” I noted.

But by then the two officers were ignoring me and climbing back into their cruiser.

–G!
#Normally I don’t do any lane-splitting when I ride, but all the cars around me were completely stopped so I wasn’t worried about someone suddenly changing lanes in front of me.
*MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation which is a group that was, at one time, nation-wide and had a standardized rider training curriculum and tests.

I was once driving down HWY 1 in CA at 95 MPH on a Sunday morning on an empty hway. I see flashing lights in my rear view mirror, there’s the Highway Patrol behind me. I pull over. These were the days when they could confiscate your car for speeding over a certain amount, so my heart was in my mouth.

The cop car passes me.

Then another one.

Then another one.

I sit there for a minute. Don’t see another one, so I mosey on down the highway. A couple of miles later I see all three cars have boxed in a black pickup truck and there’s a guy up against the pickup being patted down.
What can I say, but Thank God For Crime!

:smiley:

That is awesome.

Right around the time that the land speed sound barrier was broken, a friend inadvertently ran a stop sign and got pulled over. Usual interaction with the cop occurred. As the cop was walking back to his car with my friend’s license and insurance card, my friend yelled out the window, “Hey, did you hear they broke the land speed sound barrier <today / yesterday / whatever>? He actually could have gone faster, but he got pulled over by a cop.”

While I thought this was a pretty ballsy thing to say, the cop actually doubled over in laughter. He ended up only giving my friend a warning.

J.